Phantasy Star II
|Patching Information||BIN Format (GEN)|
|Game Date||21 March 1989|
|Release Date||15 September 2021|
|Last Modified||20 September 2021|
Phantasy Star II is a Japanese role playing game for the Sega Genesis and the second installment in the Phantasy Star series.
The game received wide critical acclaim for its design, music, graphics and story, and is seen as a landmark title in the genre. It was the largest console game of the time, using an unprecedented 6 mega-bit cartridge.
Its more elaborate plot is set in the Algol solar system from the first game, a millennium later. This time it follows the journey of a young agent of the Motavian government who is assigned a mission to investigate the reason behind the creation of the so called “Biomonsters”, man-made creatures that have been wreaking havoc on the planet. Accompanied by the mysterious human-Biomonster hybrid Nei and later joined by many other companions, he’ll uncover a shady conspiracy that threatens the very foundation of the Algol system.
The game is noted for having an unexpectedly dark and deep story for its time that doesn’t pull its punches. It’s especially remarkable for featuring what was possibly the first death of a major main character in the genre, preceding Final Fantasy VII by nearly eight years.
Unlike in the original game, the dungeons in Phantasy Star II are presented in third person. They have been noted for their complexity, being made up of made up of elaborate layouts spanning various floors. Like its predecessor, it uses a turn-based battle system. An innovation is an optional auto-fighting feature that allows party members to take action without having to be issued commands.
This is a project to re-localize all classic Phantasy Star games to Brazilian Portuguese. The intention is to bring to Portuguese speakers these games with a better translation, accentuation, consistency and standardization for names used in all four games, bugs corrections and some improvements.
- This work was made using the lory1990’s disassembler, so it carries a lot of bugs corrections. (credits: lory1990)
- Reduced the screen flashing times that happens when monsters hits, from 3 times to 1 time. (credits: veo)
- Simplified the messages that displays the battle results (credits: vivify93)
- Shir doesn’t steal in Dezoris’ shops anymore (credits:lory90)
- Hugh and Shir now can use better versions for their equipment. Better equipment standardization for the male fighters.
- Base text script is the same one used for the Brazilian release of Phantasy Star. Now it has accentuations and carries some corrections.
- Monster names now use the American release list instead the Brazilian release list because this last one had some errors.
There is a total of 12 patches that groups the sub-versions bellow:
- A - two versions for the text script:
A1 - Original version: uses the names from Japanese release (just for characters and villains). It has only one exception: “Dark Phallus” was nasty, so “Dark Force” was chosen instead;
A2 - Classic version: uses the names from American release, except that now Lutz is Noah and Dark Force is Dark Falz.
- B - three versions regarding the difficulty level:
B1 - Standard version: behaves just like the original game release;
B2 - Balanced version: faster walking, experience x2 and Mesetas x 2 from battles; (recommended)
B3 - Casual version: faster walking, experience x4 and Mesetas 4 from battles.
- C - two versions for the fontwork:
C1 - Old fontwork: uses the traditional Brazilian/American release fontwork;
C2 - New fontwork: uses a new fontwork; better suited for the accentuations.
So, here is the 12 BPS patches: orig+stan+old, orig+stan+new, orig+bal+old, orig+bal+new, orig+cas+old, orig+cas+new, class+stan+old, class+stan+new, class+bal+old, class+bal+new, class+cas+old and class+cas+new.
The player must pick JUST ONE of them to apply in this rom: Phantasy Star II (USA,Europe).md ( MD5: 75ea42b49a65ceb0395480126f426c6a) Floating IPS is recommended for this task ( http://www.romhacking.net/download/utilities/1040/ ) More details about this re-localization can be found in the READ-ME file inside the zip package (written in Brazilian Portuguese)
ROM / ISO Information:
- Database match: Phantasy Star II (USA, Europe)
- Database: No-Intro: Genesis (v. 20210226-213851)
- File/ROM SHA-1: FCD032DED2235171F51DB316AD1B7688FBBDAFE4
- File/ROM CRC32: D07D0EF
|Contributor||Type of contribution||Listed credit|
|Mad Nurse||Translation||Text revision|
|lory1990||Hacking||Disassembler and hard-coding|
|veo||Hacking||Reducing the number of battle flashing|
|FlamePurge||Hacking||Truncating the messages after battles|