Mother 2 Deluxe
Hack of EarthBound
Mother 2 Deluxe
Hack of EarthBound
|Patching Information||Requires Custom Patcher|
|Hack Release Date||04 February 2021|
|Last Modified||21 November 2021|
The new 2.0 version of Mother 2 Deluxe is a VAST improvement over the old 1.31 version that was here in romhacking.net.
A very small selection of major new features:
- Massively rebalanced to make the game more fair and less arbitrarily difficult.
- Jeff has his own Tools menu of his special items to free up his inventory.
- Many new battle animations for PSI and Jeff’s Tools.
- New final dungeon to tie Mother 2 and 3 together.
- Your Places (formerly known as Your Sanctuaries) that can be skipped until later (Lilliput Steps, Milky Well, Magnet Hill, and Pink Cloud) now auto upgrade their enemies and bosses over time to stay at your power level all game.
- Enemies completely reprogrammed to be very intelligent. Bosses and stronger enemies can detect status ailments on them and heal themselves.
- New PSI and PSI arrangements and costs.
- New battle sprites and enemy overworld sprites.
SO MUCH MORE!
Hack requires EBP (Earthbound Patcher) in order to patch.
Does not play nice with Snes9x and Zsnes (why are you using Zsnes!?) Recommended emulators are BSNES and Mesen-S.
ROM / ISO Information:
- Database match: EarthBound (USA)
- Database: No-Intro: Super Nintendo Entertainment System (v. 20210222-050638)
- File/ROM SHA-1: D67A8EF36EF616BC39306AA1B486E1BD3047815A
- File/ROM CRC32: DC9BB451
|Contributor||Type of contribution||Listed credit|
|Messianic||Design||Everything other than ASM hacking, and a small amount of ASM|
|The Kirby||Hacking||ASM hacking all previous versions|
User Review Information
A mixed bag that’s worth checking out.Reviewed By: Saph on 24 Jun 2022
I’ll start with the good.
The game has amazing new sprites, visuals, quality of life upgrades such as Jeff’s tools not cluttering his inventory.
Gameplay wise though, this is not “rebalanced”. It’s not “less grindy” or anywhere near what some of the descriptions says. “Less arbitrarily difficult”??? A crow can murder you if you’re not careful!
This is Mother 2: Deluxe (Hell Mode). Period.
First dog you meet in the game will kill you unless RNG helps you with misses and you not missing. Almost every single fight in the game is a “grind”. Sure. If you figure out what PSI power to use in which order and then buff yourself and debuff enemies you might come out triumphant! If luck helps.
Almost every fight you will need to go back to heal. Remember when you first get Jeff into the party and for a while it’s a bit of a struggle to keep him alive unless you really slow down and try to save him? This mod is like that for all members for a lot of the time.
And what’s a bit disappointing is the dev and others quite literally just say “if you think this is too difficult you’re just not good at games”. Yep. Really. Reading back other comments when people politely asked for a “normal mode” to enjoy the upgrades they were answered with “no, it’ll eventually have an easy mode, and it is easy not normal because the game is easy”. Like someone needs to take the “shame” of picking “easy” if they can’t handle it.
It’s honestly kind of dismissive and condescending to players who just wanted to play the game as it was originally, with the amazing remaster level updates.
Now I’d still “recommend” this mod. If you want a challenge and have the time it’s a great mod. It just needs to be properly labeled. There was no “balancing” here. Your PSI powers cost more, heal less, enemies have more HP, more defense, more attacks, and steal more. Practically every opposing force in the game was increased, and every helpful decreased.
It _is_ still doable. And when you leave it and go back to other mods you even kind of miss having more of a challenge.
Onett and Twoson are the biggest hurdles because you only have one player. So if you’re having a tough time try to get past that to give it a chance.
I’d rate this mod like an 7/10 for casual players. And a 10/10 for hardcore players that want a challenge.