Legend of Zelda - Echoes of the Past
Hack of The Legend of Zelda: A Link to the Past
Legend of Zelda - Echoes of the Past
|Patching Information||No-Header (SNES)|
|Hack Release Date||05 June 2021|
|Last Modified||05 June 2021|
Zelda’s wish has had a different outcome than expected, leading to a world not so different from her original…
This hack was made to provide a new adventure in Hyrule. As such, much of the world will have a similar feel to the original while providing new challenges, a different route, and possibly a new trick.
This hack has moderate modifications to the overworld, offering a new look to familiar spaces. Some text has been modified to match this different world. All dungeons were modified, leading to new routes, different big chest items, new puzzles, and increased difficulty. Reflecting the increased difficulty, all that remains of your uncle is a pile of clothes and his sword. Bomb jumping is not required. Save states are not required to complete this journey. Good knowledge of the base game will be helpful.
- Moderate overworld modification
- Minor changes to monologue
- Modified dungeons (all)
- Increased difficulty
- Changed Ganon’s Tower to eliminate possible softlock.
- Changed Swamp Palace locked door to remove possible softlock
- Hints have been added via monologue and adjustments to surroundings
- Additional monologue changes have been made (minor change)
- Red mail is now hidden in the world (all items are now possible)
- Armos Knights (1st), Helmasaur, and Arrghus arenas have been modified
- Additional health and magic are available
- Tweaks to dungeons
Use UPS patcher
ROM / ISO Information:
- Name: Legend of Zelda, The - A Link to the Past (USA)
- Size: 1024KB
- File/ROM SHA-1: 6D4F10A8B10E10DBE624CB23CF03B88BB8252973
- File/ROM CRC32: 777AAC2F
|Contributor||Type of contribution||Listed credit|
User Review Information
Good navigational themes but poor trap and enemy structureReviewed By: ChaosPrime8 on 30 Jun 2022
I have recently wanted to play any finished ALttP romhacks to analyze the level design and while there are several nice navigable ideas here, the biggest flaws come from how there are enemies or obstacles that need to be fixed.
Some of the dungeons have key logic issues where small keys are potentially missable such as a dead end locked door in Skull Woods an, optional room in the Temple of Darkness, and exiting a room that has a locked door on the other side in the Ice Tower.
in Turtle Rock there is a Somaria Platform that is bugged which can result in a collision issue, and Zols spawning in Misery Mire’s entrance with pits do not react well with them.
Some push blocks are required to have the player lose a heart by falling into a bottomless pit and some of the dungeons tease the player that they can explore the dungeon earlier only to run into an item gate before being able to obtain the dungeon item.
Then you have obstacles where Fallmasters are placed while you need to dodge several traps in a floor tile room in Ganon’s Tower, way too many shooters and Winders in some of the dungeons.
The resource management is also poorly implemented. In Hyrule Castle, you are given bombs before you get the sword and if you run out, then you must restart the game because no enemies located there drop them.
Despite my negativity, there are some nice puzzles and this hack could be much better if it fixes several of the issues I addressed. Overall, the problems that need to be observed and fixed:
- forced damage obstacles must be removed.
- no small keys located in locked dead end rooms that are not meant to be revisited.
- enemies cannot be placed in rooms that have poor collision interactions
- resources must be placed where unwinnable situations are not possible.
- obstacles must be tested for potential collision bugs that can soft lock or semi freeze the game.
- make sure enemies and traps are placed where damage is avoidable.
- if a dungeon has item gating on the critical path, either place it early enough in the dungeon that the player does not waste a lot of time or have the dungeon item accessible.
Version 1.1.0 Recommended - No
|Good navigational themes but poor trap and enemy structure||ChaosPrime8||30 Jun 2022||1.1.0||No|
|Too many stumped moments||MattKimura||30 Jun 2022||1.1.0||No|
|Great and Balanced Hack (Not Insanely Hard!)||nyquist_theory||30 Jun 2022||1.0.2||Yes|
|Very fun and enjoyable||RayofJay||30 Jun 2022||1.0.2||Yes|
|The best ALTTP hack so far!||Lunaria||30 Jun 2022||1.0.2||Yes|
|Pretty Balanced Hack||Blazing||30 Jun 2022||1.0.2||Yes|