Super Metroid Redux
Hack of Super Metroid
Super Metroid Redux
Hack of Super Metroid
|Patching Information||No-Header (SNES)|
|Hack Release Date||17 June 2022|
|Last Modified||23 March 2023|
Super Metroid Redux is an improvement hack for Super Metroid, and a continuation of Super Metroid: GBA Style.
This hack aims to give Super Metroid a whole lot of improvements, being it graphical or in mechanics/gameplay, and address some of the annoyances from the original.
Changelog for Super Metroid Redux:
- All of the improvements/changes made for Super Metroid: GBA Style are present here with a more refined touch, minus the mandatory Heavy Physics (which are now an optional patch). For more details on the full changelog from GBA Style which is included on Redux, visit GBA Style’s release page on RH.net.
- A lot of features from Project Base 0.7.3 have been implemented. (Like faster door transitions and speeds, instant Bomb explosion by holding Down on the D-Pad, Game time and Item percentage can now be seen in the Pause menu, etc).
- Normal and Hard mode can be toggled within the “Difficulty Settings” before selecting a save file (NOTE: The difficulty change can ONLY be enabled when starting a New Game, by Sylandro)
- Special Demo sequences that depict useful tricks and abilities (from SM Turbo)
- Message boxes can be skipped by pressing a button
- Screw Attack now destroys frozen enemies (by Adamf)
- X-Ray Visor range widened
- Unlock Tourian patch has been completely fixed, so it doesn’t play the Super Metroid eating the side-hopper cutscene every time you go through that room on Tourian. Now the game only plays that scene the first time you go through it, sets a correct flag, and the Super Metroid and its two adjacent rooms will play the normal Tourian theme AFTER the cutscene has already happened (shoutouts to Smiley, PJBoy and the people from the Metroid Construction Discord for the help)
- Charge Beam combos can be triggered by fully charging your beam with the beam of choice, and then pressing Select
- Crystal Flash is still enabled like in the original game
- Elevator Speed has been increased to double the speed of the original in Super Metroid
- MSU-1 playback integrated
- Missile Stations have now been changed to Recharge Stations. They now refill your entire weapons’ stack (Missiles, Super Missiles, Power Bombs) upon touching them with the message “Weapons Reload Completed.” (similar to Zero Mission / Fusion)
- Power Bombs reveal hidden tiles (like in Zero Mission / Fusion)
- Fanfare music for normal expansion tanks (Missiles, Super Missiles, Power Bombs, Energy and Reserve Tanks) now use a special SFX when grabbed which is shorter, to allow for a more fluid play session. Main items like beams, suits, and the first main Missile/Super Missile/Power Bomb items still play the long-normal fanfare (similar to Zero Mission / Fusion)
- Combined DC’s Map Patch with Scyzer’s Item Circles code to create a meticulously completely revamped Map system to be more in-line or similar to what is seen in both Zero Mission / Fusion. (Entrances, colour-coded doors, item circles/dots, etc).
- “Classic Booster.ips”: From Project Base 0.7.3, restores the speed at which the shinespark is activated to be the same as vanilla Super Metroid. NOTE: This breaks a few title screen demos.
- “Death Censor.ips”: From Project Base 0.7.3, censors the death animations of Samus upon game over.
- “Default X-Ray.ips”: Change the X-Ray Visor width to that of the original Super Metroid
- “Dual Suit (Proper Power Suit).ips”: Gives Samus an entirely different set of graphics for her Power Suit form, to match the Power Suit design and form seen in other Metroid games. The shoulder pads are only enabled when the Varia or Gravity suits are acquired or toggled on.
- “Fixed Tourian Unlocked Doors.ips”: Makes it so that the Tourian doors now let you go back to Crateria normally. (NOTE: This patch is ALREADY implemented into main Redux, it was simply added for archival purposes).
- “Heavy Physics.ips” (From GBA Style): This will make it so that Samus now lands faster and with more gravity to her, similar to that of the GBA Metroids. Bomb jumping has been fixed for the new physics, and also the Title Screen Demos were re-recorded so they work properly with the new physics
- “Original Title Screen Demos”: This includes two patches, “Original Demos (Redux Only).ips” restores the original Demos from vanilla Super Metroid into Redux; and “Original Demos (Heavy Physics Only).ips” (already includes the “Heavy Physics” patch) restores the original Demos from vanilla Super Metroid alongside the Heavy Physics patch.
- “Original Elevator Speed.ips”: Restores the original Super Metroid elevator speeds
- “Redesigned Samus.ips”: Modifies Samus’ sprite slightly to have a better arm cannon and some slight suit touchups. “Redesigned Dual Suit” should be applied ONLy after “Redesigned Samus.ips”. This makes Samus’ have separate graphics when she’s on her Power Suit, and modifies the arm cannon on the Power Suit to match those of the Varia Suit graphics for Redesigned
- “Save Stations Refill Everything.ips”: Save Stations will now refill both Energy and all Weapons (by Adamf)
- “Skip Ceres - Start In Zebes.ips”: Skip the Ceres Station sequence at the beginning, and start off directly on Planet Zebes’ Landing Site on New Game
- “Spazer Plasma Mix (v0.998).ips”: Be able to combine both the Spazer Beam alongside the Plasma Beam (by JAM). The original v0.997 patch by JAM had a bug in which Phantoon couldn’t be damaged with Missiles nor Super Missiles, this has been fixed by me and made a new v0.998 version of the patch with the fix to Phantoon’s vulnerabiliy table with SMILE RF. NOTE: There are graphical issues when using this patch.
- “Vanilla Beam Cooldowns.ips”: In Redux, the normal Beam shots that Samus does before obtaining the Charge beam have been modified to be faster, the same goes for some of the projectile speeds. This patch reverts those changes so the speed at which Samus can fire her beam, and the speed of the projectiles, are the same as in vanilla Super Metroid.
Redux Widescreen Patch (Beta):
This is a special optional patch, developed by ocesse exclusively for Super Metroid Redux, based on his original Super Metroid Widescreen hack. The Widescreen patch should only be used with bsnes v10.2, as it goes alongside bsnes’ Widescreen feature. NOTE: It has been brought to my attention that this patch no longer works on bsnes nor bsnes HD. (Neither normal Redux for some reason). Here’s a preview of the Widescreen hack by ocesse: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4XqJ_f3ui_w
Keep in mind that this patch is currently in a beta stage, so if you encounter any bugs or glitches, make sure to let ocesse know on his YouTube channel.
Make sure that once you have your Super Metroid Redux ROM already patched (alongside whatever optional patches you desire), you apply the Widescreen .IPS file over your ROM, and that’s all that should be needed!
ROM / ISO Information:
- Database match: Super Metroid (Japan, USA) (En,Ja)
- Database: No-Intro: Super Nintendo Entertainment System (v. 20180813-062835)
- File/ROM SHA-1: DA957F0D63D14CB441D215462904C4FA8519C613
- File/ROM MD5: 21F3E98DF4780EE1C667B84E57D88675
- File/ROM CRC32: D63ED5F8
|Contributor||Type of contribution||Listed credit|
|ShadowOne333||Hacking||Main hacking and project|
|begrimed||Original Hacking||Project Base|
|Kejardon||Original Hacking||Control Freak|
|SadiztykFish (Scyzer)||Original Hacking||Original Item Circles & Item Sounds codes, and Save/Load hack|
|PHOSPHOTiDYL||Original Hacking||Item/Time Counters in Pause Menu and Others|
|sylandro||Original Hacking||Hard mode & Rewrite of Item Circles code|
|DC||Original Hacking||Original Map Patch for Super Metroid|
|PJBoy||Original Work||Super Metroid Disassembly and Kraid's graphics corruption fix after his fight|
|adamf||Original Hacking||Screw Attack Frozen Enemies and Save Refill codes|
|Smiley||Original Hacking||Help and debugging for Fixed Unlocked Tourian and New Item Circles code|
|Nodever2||Original Hacking||Bugfixes, Reserve Tanks bugfix and Tourian event flag fix|
|samsamcmoi||Original Hacking||Super Metroid Turbo hack, fixes to Control Freak tables and Introduction Skip|
|ocesse||Original Hacking||Super Metroid Redux Widescreen patch|
|Dmit Ryaz||Graphics||Samus Redesigned original patch|
|Benox50||Original Hacking||Pause map fix during Kraid's fight (caused by DC's Map patch)|
|HAM||Original Hacking||Suits Pickup fixes|
|Crashtour99||Original Hacking||Dual Suit hack|
|Starry_Melody||Graphics||Power Suit Samus graphics|
User Review Information
The way to play super metroidReviewed By: starlightbotanist on 13 May 2022
Redux is simply an awesome way to experience Super Metroid, especially if you are coming from the GBA games or are unfamiliar with metroidvanias. Though the map changes may seem small, they are a great benefit. No longer do you have to remember exactly ‘where was that one orange door I wanted to go back to?’ With the stock Super Metroid map, that information isn’t shown on the map, but you can see door colors on the redux map(just like the GBA games). The controls are also a great improvement, making missile use easier. The missile stations being refill station just feels like how the game should have always been. The wider x-ray makes scanning less tedious. Several other patches have improved elevator speed like redux does, however, redux is the only one where the speed doesn’t feel jarring. I love how many optional patches are available, letting you play how you want. I recommend Skip Ceres for people experienced with Super Metroid. If you struggle with this game, the “Save Station Refill Everything” is also nice to have, though I think most players don’t need it.
Version 1.3 Recommended - Yes
|Cool and nice, except for one thing.||Guy_BR||27 Apr 2023||1.5||Yes|
|I love this hack but I want 250 missiles and the mini-map to display circles for items.||sjcorrea||27 Apr 2023||1.5||Yes|
|Best ROM hack ever||DocStrangelove||20 Apr 2023||1.5||Yes|
|The way to play super metroid||starlightbotanist||13 May 2022||1.3||Yes|
|I haven't played SM in years...||DiamondDog84||06 Apr 2022||1.2.2||Yes|
|Great for first timers coming from ZM/MF/Dread||vree||21 Oct 2021||1.2.1||Yes|
|Great for first time players!||Ok Impala!||09 Jul 2021||1.2||Yes|
|Reserve Tanks are bugged||Animebryan||13 Jul 2021||1.2||Yes|
|Utter Perfection||Haz||26 Feb 2021||1.2||Yes|
|Best way to play in 2020||eskimo44||26 Jul 2020||1.2||Yes|
|cannot play using keyboard||klaus||17 Jun 2020||1.2||No|
|A Higher Quality of Life||elecgnosis||21 Mar 2020||1.2||Yes|
|great hack for msu-1 or widescreen enthusiasts||Notthisguy||06 Mar 2020||1.0||Yes|
|Definitive Super Metroid Improvement Hack||MattKimura||28 Feb 2020||1.0||Yes|
|Fantastic Effort||G30FF||01 Mar 2020||1.0||Yes|