Hack of Pac-Man Collection
Hack of Pac-Man Collection
|Patching Information||No Special Requirements|
|Hack Release Date||02 December 2021|
|Last Modified||02 December 2021|
Pac-Man Collection+ is a hack introducing various improvements to Mass Media’s GBA compilation, including more accurate palettes, sprite fixes and even some replaced audio.
- Palettes restored from the arcade version
- Fixed sprites inaccurate to the arcade version
- Extra life jingle now samples actual audio from the game
- Character and level palettes resemble the arcade version much more closely. Colors were converted from the 24-bit RGB palette used by the Namco System 1 to work within the GBA’s lesser 15-bit RGB palette.
- Removed graphics for a giant ghost in the intermission before Jungly Steps, due to them resulting in a glitched key graphic in the later levels. This error was also observed in an unmodified copy. For those who don’t care and still want to see the giant ghost, an “(Alt.)” patch has been included with those graphics still intact.
- Minor palette tweaks with colors taken from the SEGA Genesis version.
- When navigating menus, proper Pac-Man sound effects replace the grating noises of the original release.
ROM / ISO Information:
- Database match: Pac-Man Collection (USA)
- Database: No-Intro: Game Boy Advance (v. 20210227-023848)
- File/ROM SHA-1: AAAF5496411CDD9315DEBE866E69CA8665468F9B
- File/ROM CRC32: 6E5C16F4
|Contributor||Type of contribution||Listed credit|
User Review Information
Come home to the classics with this improvementReviewed By: SuperStarFox on 24 Jan 2022
With Pac-Man Museum Plus on the horizon soon, JY did something that no one has ever done or ever improve before. He put as much effort as he could to make all the games play exactly like their original counterparts.
For Pac-Man, the power pellets look bigger and the sprites were fixed to look more like the original game. The colors look exactly like the ones from the arcade port and it manages to get the job done properly.
For Pac-Man Arrangement, some of the colors were tweaked to be a little more like the ones from Namco Classic Collection Vol. 2 even though it’s hard to see which.
For Pac-Mania, the colors are less bright more colorful and feels more like the original Japanese arcade port. The levels like Block Town, Pac-Man’s Park, Sandbox Land, and Jungly Steps look better thanks to these improvements.
For Pac-Attack, the colors were tweaked to be more like the Sega Genesis version but with a little less brightness to make your eyes strain.
I’ve played and live streamed this game for the past few hours and already it feels like an official improvement but with a couple new changes. Even a few sound effects from Pac-Man were pitched or adjusted to be a little more like the arcade game.
Although, they’re only a couple things that would be either possible or impossible to fix. The full screen ghosts from Pac-Man feel more like their eyes would move in an opposite direction. For example, when they go up their eyes go up-right or up-left. When they move down, their eyes go down-right or down-left. I also think that the pitch for the sound effects and fanfares should be changed a bit to sound closer to the arcade game, same goes for Pac-Man Arrangement.
Other than that, this hack is very good and accurate to their console counterparts and I say that if you ever play this hack you will not be disappointed with the fixes that were added into Pac-Man Collection.
Version 1.0 Recommended - Yes
|Come home to the classics with this improvement||SuperStarFox||24 Jan 2022||1.0||Yes|
|A very nice hack||Cris1997XX||02 Dec 2021||1.0||Yes|