Hack of Castlevania: Symphony of the Night
|Patching Information||Requires Custom Patcher|
|Genre||Role Playing > Action RPG|
|Hack Release Date||05 January 2022|
|Last Modified||06 January 2022|
Customizable SotN patcher and randomizer addon
Direct Link: https://github.com/Lakifume/SotnKindAndFair/releases/latest
The main purpose of this mod is to completely revamp the difficulty balance in SotN. If you’ve played this game before then you know that it is in dire need of such change. What has been done here is bring over Bloodstained Ritual of the Night’s mechanic of enemy stats scaling with their level value, providing a much more consistent difficulty progression throughout the game. This means mostly buffs to enemies and bosses which can vary depending on how strong each already was relative to its placement. In short, expect to find a difficulty balance that is very close to Bloodstained’s. Additional changes include knockback now being based on the nature of the enemy’s attack rather than on its damage output, removal of contact damage on Richter and Doppleganger and more.
On top of this there are more options that you can choose from:
- Random enemy levels
- Random enemy tolerances
- Enemy damage multiplier
- Continuous wing smash
- Bigtoss only
For a more detailed look at the changes all edits are directly read from the JSON files under the Data folder. You can even use these to customize the mod to your liking. This is not in the form of a PPF patch, it is a small program that will patch your rom based on the options you pick. I also included a Bizhawk cheat file that you can use to permanently give yourself Spirit Orb, Cube of Zoe and Faerie Scroll since the SotN randomizer doesn’t have the option to start with those.
Despite the huge modding limitations most of my hopes for this mod have been met, the biggest thing missing would be the removal of the countless stunlocks to death that SotN has, one day hopefully…
ROM / ISO Information:
- Database match: Castlevania - Symphony of the Night (USA) (Track 1)
- Database: http://redump.org/disc/3379/
- Serial Number: SLUS-00067
- File/ROM SHA-1: F967119E006695A59A6442237F9FC7C7811CF7BF
- File/ROM CRC32: 5BE47B2
|Contributor||Type of contribution||Listed credit|
|Z3R0X||Hacking||Found enemy offsets thanks to his editor|
User Review Information
Be sure to get the latest version from githubReviewed By: CatnipPhilosophy on 19 Dec 2021
The new standard for sotn playthroughs, even with randomizer.
features: + Has a multiplier so you can increase how much damage enemies do. + More challenge, and more beefy enemies + Balanced so there is no enemy damage spikes that causes 1HKOs like with sotn hardtype + Balance quality keeps a consistent level throughout the game + No weird balance changes like in sotn hardtype that removes mechanics and weapons, and nerfs usage of certain specials. + batwingsmash is made infinite
- Bosses with repetitive AI patterns have low HP, which makes fighting them for fun (you know, by NOT exploiting their AI) not possible. Also some bosses die before their AI pattern has been experienced by the player. hardtype fixes this. SotnKindAndFair does not.
- infinite Batwingsmash is NOT optional.
- Final boss has a hitbox fix that i do not agree with. This disables damage on dracula’s middle section, and forces the player to attack the hands. This was to prevent 1 form of cheesing, but still leaves the boss open to an easier form of cheesing. Also hitting the middle section causes hits on the hands from the same attack to not register.
This change can be reverted by opening the “enemy” JSON file, going to the Dracula entry and set “IsImpervious” to false.
- Some enemies aren’t beefy enough to accentuate the interactions the player has with them.
Version 1.1.0 Recommended - Yes
|Nice stat revisions...HOWever~||nukesheart||15 Jan 2022||1.4.1||Yes|
|Be sure to get the latest version from github||CatnipPhilosophy||19 Dec 2021||1.1.0||Yes|
|SOTN is fun again!||dj_is_raiden||11 Oct 2021||1.1.3||Yes|