Hack of Mega Man 2
Hack of Mega Man 2
|Released By||Himajin Jichiku|
|Patching Information||No Special Requirements|
|Genre||Action > Platformer|
|Hack Release Date||04 March 2017|
|Last Modified||26 March 2017|
Rockman CX Ver 1.1
Bug fixes and fine adjustments are the main update points. Zip includes both Rockman CX and Mega Man CX IPS and patcher.
0. What is this?
- This is a Rockman 2 hack made by Himajin Jichiku.
- The rom has been extended to use the MMC3 mapper.
- Now this is version 1.1, and officially translated into English!
1. How to Patch DO NOT APPLY IPS DIRECTLY.
- Copy your Rockman 2 ROM into this folder.
- You can also put Mega Man 2 (USA) (CRC32: 0×0FCFC04D) instead.
- Execute “Rockman CX Patcher.exe.”
- The patched rom, “Rockman CX.nes” and “Mega Man CX.nes”, will be created.
2. New Weapons, Items, and Abilities
- Items 1, 2, and 3 are available from the beginning.
- Item-1 Instant Floor - Spawns a platform directly under the player. Up to 3 may be on screen, and they disappear after several seconds.
- Item-2 Subtank - Regains any weapon energies and your life energy.
- Item-3 Ubercharge - Grants 1 second of invincibility for each use.
- Dash - You can dash like Mega Man X in this hack. Press left/right + down + A to dash.
- Quick Man - You can play as Quick Man in this hack. Quick Man can kick and climb wall instead of dashing. And he can also do faster wall jump by pressing down + A.
- Heart Tank - There are Heart Tanks in this hack. They increase your maximum life energy. They are found in 4 out of 8 stages.
- Quick Weapon Changing - You can change weapons by pressing select + down/up. The order is shown in weapon selection screen.
- Weapon Energy can regain your life energy when you equip default weapon or Ubercharge.
ROM / ISO Information:
- Rockman 2 - Dr. Wily no Nazo (Japan).nes - NOINTRO
- CRC32: 30B91650
- GoodNES 3.14 - Rockman 2 - Dr. Wily no Nazo (J) [!].nes
- Rockman 2 or Megaman 2 (CRC 32: 0x0FCFC 04 D)
- MD5: 055FB8DC626FB1FBADC0A193010A3E3F
- SHA-1: FB51875D1FF4B0DEEE97E967E6434FF514F3C2F2
- SHA-256: DEB88223311ACA8CA566B99D4063CA29D389D939FEE455F83AFAEC97C6F0A5D1
|Contributor||Type of contribution||Listed credit|
User Review Information
Amazingly creative ideas with terrible executionReviewed By: Supergamerguy on 28 Nov 2021
Honestly, I really wanted to recommend this hack. I’m a HUGE Mega Man fan and have played several rom hacks from the Classic and X series alike. Heck, I’ve even played this hack itself several times, although my playthrough today was the first time I made it past the “Robot Master” stages. And I gotta say, I don’t like this game. In fact, I don’t think it’s all that well-made, specifically in level design and difficulty. Everything else about the game is fantastic, especially for a hack of Mega Man 2. The new graphics and art design are wonderful, with so many cool and well-implemented references to various pieces of media permeating every bit of this hack. That goes for the music as well, which brings in some phenomenally composed covers of songs from the Mega Man X games, some Nintendo franchises, and other well-known tunes, the only bad song being the Megalovania cover that is ear-piercing and electronically grating (you’d understand my description if you heard it). Even the slightly modified Mega Buster, or CX Buster, or whatever, is cool to use. And I loved playing as Quick Man for the intro stage! That makes me yearn for a full game centered around his movement and playstyle.
But that’s where most of the quality ends with this hack. Though the elements I mentioned above (Graphics, Music, and Base Abilities) stay constant throughout the game, the level design and difficulty is like a slap in the face when you start playing the “Robot Master” stages, eventually culminating in a full beatdown of the player by the time you get to the Light stages. The level design itself has some interesting and challenging elements, but often just decides to throw obstacles at the player that aren’t clearly defined or communicated. There are troll blocks that can’t be seen until you jump into them, some invisible platforms, some death pits that literally can’t be jumped over without the platform item, and spikes shot out at lightning speeds from walls (often stacked so close to each other that less-than-perfect jump timing results in death). These obstacles are frustrating enough on their own, but absolutely brutal when you factor in the absurd amount of enemies just thrown in to levels almost haphazardly. No, I take that back. Enemies are perfectly and cruelly placed to sap a player of their health and lives at every opportunity. Most enemies have a large amount of health and patterns that are just too frantic and random to counter, leading to copious amounts of health loss and cheap deaths. The enemies (that aren’t damage-sponges) make up for their lack of health with their plentiful nature, continuing to appear and hound the player at every turn. It doesn’t help that the bosses themselves range from decently challenging to outright unfair (looking at you Cheat Man, you spawn of hell itself). What’s the point of miraculously managing to survive a stage, only to get to the boss and face an onslaught of cheap, health-draining attacks to your measly life meter? Not even the weapons you get from the bosses are enough to make fighting them worth it (except for maybe Cheat Saber, which one shots all enemies, some obstacles, and deals a lot of damage to bosses).
However, no matter how hard the “Robot Master” stages are, “you ain’t seen nothin yet” ‘till you’ve faced the Light stages. Wow, just wow. I only have two ways to describe these levels, number one being “spikes,” and number two being “Quick Man lasers”. Imagine the enemy-laden and unforgiving stage design of the “Robot Master” stages, but then just litter the stages with one-hit death spikes and Quick Man lasers faster than Quick Man himself. You got a little taste of those lasers in particular back in Kamen Rider’s stage, which was ridiculously brutal in itself, but honestly I was wrong in thinking it couldn’t get any worse before I played the Light stages. The amount of times you have to perfectly, and I mean PERFECTLY, platform to avoid these lasers and spikes is just staggering. And this is where the game shows its true colors. Mega Man CX is not a challenging game. Mega Man CX is a punishing game with unfair design seemingly meant to dissuade the player from actually trying to play it.
Despite what people are saying, that this hack is the “sequel to Mega Man 2″ or the “best Mega Man 2 hack,” this hack is NOT a Mega Man game, not even in spirit. This hack is just a hack, an effort made by a fan to communicate his love for the series through a playable experience. And it has a LOT going for it, and I REALLY want to recommend it to people due to all the effort you can clearly see went into this game, but I just *can’t*. It all comes down to gameplay, and this hack just doesn’t have the gameplay to justify people *playing* the game. I can certainly recommend everybody watch a longplay of this hack to see all the “bells and whistles” the experience has to offer, but no one should torture themselves trying to slog through it.
A description from one of my friends for another game fits this hack perfectly, *especially* if you are (for some forsaken reason) trying to play this game without save states or cheats. This game is “like backhanding a brick wall until one day, the wall breaks instead of your hand.” Though, honestly, I’m not sure that wall will ever break here…
Version 1.1 Recommended - No
|Amazingly creative ideas with terrible execution||Supergamerguy||28 Nov 2021||1.1||No|
|Pretty good hack||Cupcom5/NGKFlower||12 May 2020||1.1||Yes|
|Rосkmаn CX - More Than a Hack||diablo666||04 Nov 2021||1.1||Yes|
|Rockman CX - GOOD||Dobu_GM||27 Apr 2019||1.1||Yes|
|Mega Man CX tried to be like Mega Man X. Grey Mega Man ain't Mega Man X.||Diddy64wii||01 Jan 2018||1.1||No|
|the BEST megaman 2 hack to date||Notthisguy||18 Dec 2017||1.1||Yes|
|Romhack that is -almost- good||MetoolDaddy||16 Apr 2017||1.1||Yes|
|The Mega Man 2 sequel I've been waiting for!||8.bit.fan||06 Apr 2017||1.1||Yes|
|The BEST Mega Man hack ever!||mikeH||13 Feb 2017||1.0||Yes|
|It's more than a simple Hack||MagusLOGS||17 Dec 2016||1.0||Yes|