Hack of DOOM
Hack of DOOM
|Released By||D32XR Team|
|Patching Information||No Special Requirements|
|Genre||Action > Shooter|
|Hack Release Date||02 September 2022|
|Last Modified||19 September 2022|
This patch completely replaces the original engine, adding performance improvements and new features, as well as missing levels from the Jaguar port.
- Network support via the Zero Tolerance (aka Technopop) link cable.
- Splitscreen coop and deathmatch modes.
- New title screen that resembles the Saturn and PlayStation versions.
- Rendering has been spread across both SH2 processors for better speed.
- User input is processed at 30FPS, while game logic runs at 15FPS.
- Low (two pixel modes) 128×144, 128×160, 160×180 and three high detail 224×128, 256×144, 320×180 video modes.
- Anamorphic widescreen support for 16:9 screens.
- Improved visual fidelity (aka ‘high color’) mode.
- FM Synth soundtrack courtesy of Spoony Bard.
- Selecting between no music, VGM FM music, 32X+, or playing music from attached Sega CD (requires Sega CD in addition to 32X).
- Stereo panning for game sounds.
- Controller hot plugging support.
- Save ram support - keeps track of finished levels, health, armor, weapons and ammo - eight save slots as well as an auto-save at the end of each level.
- Includes levels that were omitted from the original release.
- Restores sprite directions from the Jaguar version as well as in-fighting between monsters.
- A new port of “Slough of Despair” and level fixes courtesy of Wavy.
- Spectres look the way they did in the original PC version.
- Jaguar Doom HUD assets.
- Three drawing modes: the regular sector based lighting (although it’s better than the original Doom 32X in that sprites also use this lighting, no more 100% bright sprites!), “potato” mode which doesn’t texture floors or ceilings for slightly better speed, or the original Doom fading light rendering (which is just a smidgen slower and looks a little muddy given the fifteen bit palette of the 32X).
- ‘Always run’ option.
- Anti-aliased automap with smooth scaling.
- Support for three-button and six-button pads, as well as the Sega mouse. You can choose how to map the primary three buttons in the menu.
- Verified as working on Kega Fusion 3.64, a Model 2 Genesis + Model 2 CD + launch 32X, a CDX + 32X, with a NeoFlash NeoMyth MD and the V1 Mega EverDrive, and also with Mega EverDrive Pro and MegaSD.
- Support for 32X+ (CDDA tracks from CUE files) on the MegaSD flashcart.
- Kill, item and secret counters on the automap.
- “Skinface” intermission screen background.
- Multi-region, supports both PAL and NTSC.
Changes in v2.2b:
- A re-upload as something went wrong during the build process for v2.2a.
Changes in v2.2a:
- Fixed weapon position being off-center at some screen resolutions.
Changes in v2.2:
- New exclusive port of the original map “Slough of Despair” (MAP18) by Wavy.
- Ported the “skinface” intermission background from the original game.
- Added support for playback of uncompressed 8-bit and IMA ADPCM-compressed 4-bit WAV files.
- The ZGM music file format has been upgraded to support PCM samples (reserved for future use) and is now part of SGDK’s XGM toolset.
- Fixed bug in the sound mixer which resulted in stereo channels being swapped around occasionally.
- Added CD/32X+ volume slider to the audio menu.
- Tweaked MegaSD detection timeout - fixes compatibility issues with MD+ on the MegaEverdrive Pro.
- The status bar now displays the “mowdown” face upon taking damage from environmental hazards.
- The 252 pixels-wide screen mode has been widened to 256 pixels.
- Fixed spectre’s position being off on the finale screen.
- The punch impact sound has been re-added to the game.
- A different tile is now used for the final text briefing background.
- Improved framerate in the menus.
- Added 100% completion color indication to the kills/items/secret counters on the automap.
- Programming: Victor Luchits, Joseph Fenton
- Music: Spoony Bard https://www.youtube.com/c/spoonybard13
- Mapping: Wavy
- Additional support: MatteusBeus, TrekkiesUnite118, Barone
- Programming and reverse engineering: James Haley
- Additional code: Samuel Villarreal, Rebecca Heineman
- id Software
- Songbird Productions
ROM / ISO Information:
- Database match: Doom (Europe)
- Database: No-Intro: Genesis (v. 20210226-213851)
- File/ROM SHA-1: 4EC03C2114EBFFBBCD16859583340D4EA4CD8DD5
- File/ROM CRC32: 53734E3A
|Contributor||Type of contribution||Listed credit|
User Review Information
An excellent effort and great rework!Reviewed By: lexluthermiester on 18 Oct 2021
Without spoilers, I have to give this team two thumbs up for the excellent work done to remake the engine, the GFX, the controls, the sounds and the soundtrack. Every aspect of this game has been refined and really shows what could have been done with proper programing and hardware utilized to it’s maximum. The framerate in this version of the game is smooth as silk compared to the retail version. There are no control latency problems like there was in the retail version. The talent displayed by Spoony Bard(AKA TheSpooniestBard) with the effort put into the in-game bit-tunes are night & day better than the retail. It just takes the whole experience to that next level of excellence that we all would have loved BITD.
The wonderful experience this remake of the 32X version of Doom provides can not be understated. It is masterful and something to behold, not just because it’s a title for the 32X, but because it’s just that good!
Whether you play on emulator or real hardware, you’re going to have fun! Make some time, plug in, play and enjoy!
Version 1.0 Recommended - Yes
|From a Generic Port to One of the better ones||shadowAOD||16 Nov 2022||2.2b||Yes|
|Best 16-bit version by far!!!||Hooded Edge||01 Apr 2022||1.5||Yes|
|One of the best hack projects ive seen!||scorpion23||16 Nov 2021||1.4||Yes|
|Fantastic job||cireza||07 Nov 2021||1.3||Yes|
|Perfect||YoshiWhite62||06 Nov 2021||1.3||Yes|
|DooM 32x overhauled to near perfection..||2spaz||13 Jun 2022||2.1||Yes|
|Congratulations||Flaviogames||01 Nov 2021||1.2a||Yes|
|32x DOOM the right way... Finally!||Pyron||27 Oct 2021||1.1b||Yes|
|a hack with all the trimmings, astounding||donus87||23 Oct 2021||1.1||Yes|
|The game that should have been released||HappySpaceInvdr||23 Oct 2021||1.0||Yes|
|Definitive Doom Experience on 32x||DurradonXylles||21 Oct 2021||1.0||Yes|
|An excellent effort and great rework!||lexluthermiester||18 Oct 2021||1.0||Yes|
|A Simply Necessary Patch||Paolo||17 Oct 2021||1.0||Yes|