Hack of DOOM
Hack of DOOM
|Released By||D32XR Team|
|Patching Information||No Special Requirements|
|Genre||Action > Shooter|
|Hack Release Date||16 November 2021|
|Last Modified||17 November 2021|
This patch completely replaces the original engine, adding performance improvements and new features, as well as missing levels from the Jaguar port.
- Multi-region, supports both PAL and NTSC.
- Smoother yet faithful gameplay.
- Splitscreen coop and deathmatch modes.
- New title screen that resembles the Saturn and PlayStation versions.
- Rendering has been spread across both SH2 processors for better speed.
- User input is processed at 30FPS, while game logic runs at 15FPS.
- Low (two pixel modes) 128×144, 128×160, 160×180 and high detail 224×128, 252×144 video modes.
- FM Synth soundtrack courtesy of Spoony Bard
- Selecting between no music, VGM FM music, or playing music from attached Sega CD (requires Sega CD in addition to 32X).
- Stereo panning for game sounds.
- Save ram support - keeps track of finished levels, health, armor, weapons and ammo - eight save slots as well as an auto-save at the end of each level.
- Includes levels that were omitted from the original release.
- Restores sprite directions from the Jaguar version as well as in-fighting between monsters.
- Level fixes courtesy of Wavy.
- Spectres look the way they did in the original PC version.
- Jaguar Doom HUD assets.
- Three drawing modes: the regular sector based lighting (although it’s better than the original Doom 32X in that sprites also use this lighting, no more 100% bright sprites!), “potato” mode which doesn’t texture floors or ceilings for slightly better speed, or the original Doom fading light rendering (which is just a smidgen slower and looks a little muddy given the fifteen bit palette of the 32X).
- ‘Always run’ option.
- Support for three-button and six-button pads, as well as the Sega mouse. You can choose how to map the primary three buttons in the menu.
- Verified as working on Kega Fusion 3.64, a Model 2 Genesis + Model 2 CD + launch 32X, a CDX + 32X, with a NeoFlash NeoMyth MD and the V1 Mega EverDrive, and also with Mega EverDrive Pro.
Changes in v1.4:
- Added splitscreen coop and deathmatch modes.
- Fixed sounds effects being in mono on real hardware.
- Memory and CPU optimizations.
- Changed 240p PAL mode to use letter-boxing instead of vertical stretching.
- Pressing START button during the finale screen restarts the game now.
Changes in v1.3:
- New status bar graphics, that more closely match the PC original, by Wavy.
- New “PAL Aspect ratio” option, which increases vertical screen resolution by 16 pixels, allowing the game graphics to be unsquished on PAL.
- Improved UI responsiveness.
- Restored bridge across the lava in MAP22 that had been missing in the Jaguar version of the map.
Changes in v1.2b:
- Fixed strobe lights flickering too fast.
- Tweaked timings for the hold mode of the START button.
Changes in v1.2a:
- Improved compatibility with SRAM saves on older Everdrive models.
Changes in v1.2:
- Smooth 30FPS doors and platforms.
- The DOOM logo now scrolls during introduction sequence like it does in PSX version the game.
- Added XZ strafe mapping to options.
- Menu wasn’t visible in automap mode.
- Improved auditory cues in menus.
- Pressing MODE + START now switches to fist.
- Fixed gibbing animation in HUD.
- Strafing now follows the USE action mapping, instead of being hardcoded to “C”.
- Corrected monster animation speed on finale screen and added shot sounds.
- The “New game” menu now remembers the last selected map until game’s restarted.
Changes in v1.1b:
- Automap scaling isn’t reset on loading a save state anymore.
- Fixed an occasional Z_Free error in map selection menu.
Changes in v1.1a:
- Fixed chainsaw sounds.
Changes in v1.1:
- Added E3M3 “Deep Into the Code” music track.
- Added support for dedicated strafe buttons (Y&Z or C&Z, Y for Use).
- Fixed double damage taken in lava and slime.
- Fixed powerups expiring at double rate.
- The ‘always run’ mode no longer toggles fast turning.
- Lost souls should now bounce off floors and ceilings (vanilla Doom bug).
- Draw map titles in menus.
- Navigation is menus should feel snappier now.
- Removed the framerate option from video settings.
- Programming: Victor Luchits, Joseph Fenton
- Music: Spoony Bard https://www.patreon.com/SpoonyBard
- Level fixes: Wavy
- Additional support: MatteusBeus, TrekkiesUnite118, Barone
- Programming and reverse engineering: James Haley
- Additional code: Samuel Villarreal, Rebecca Heineman
- id Software
- Songbird Productions
ROM / ISO Information:
- Database match: Doom (Europe)
- Database: No-Intro: Genesis (v. 20210226-213851)
- File/ROM SHA-1: 4EC03C2114EBFFBBCD16859583340D4EA4CD8DD5
- File/ROM CRC32: 53734E3A
|Contributor||Type of contribution||Listed credit|
User Review Information
An excellent effort and great rework!Reviewed By: lexluthermiester on 18 Oct 2021
Without spoilers, I have to give this team two thumbs up for the excellent work done to remake the engine, the GFX, the controls, the sounds and the soundtrack. Every aspect of this game has been refined and really shows what could have been done with proper programing and hardware utilized to it’s maximum. The framerate in this version of the game is smooth as silk compared to the retail version. There are no control latency problems like there was in the retail version. The talent displayed by Spoony Bard(AKA TheSpooniestBard) with the effort put into the in-game bit-tunes are night & day better than the retail. It just takes the whole experience to that next level of excellence that we all would have loved BITD.
The wonderful experience this remake of the 32X version of Doom provides can not be understated. It is masterful and something to behold, not just because it’s a title for the 32X, but because it’s just that good!
Whether you play on emulator or real hardware, you’re going to have fun! Make some time, plug in, play and enjoy!
Version 1.0 Recommended - Yes
|One of the best hack projects ive seen!||scorpion23||16 Nov 2021||1.4||Yes|
|Fantastic job||cireza||07 Nov 2021||1.3||Yes|
|Perfect||José luis||07 Nov 2021||1.3||Yes|
|Amazing work..||2spaz||03 Nov 2021||1.2b||Yes|
|Congratulations||Flaviogames||03 Nov 2021||1.2a||Yes|
|32x DOOM the right way... Finally!||Pyron||27 Oct 2021||1.1b||Yes|
|a hack with all the trimmings, astounding||donus87||24 Oct 2021||1.1||Yes|
|The game that should have been released||HappySpaceInvdr||23 Oct 2021||1.0||Yes|
|Definitive Doom Experience on 32x||DurradonXylles||21 Oct 2021||1.0||Yes|
|An excellent effort and great rework!||lexluthermiester||18 Oct 2021||1.0||Yes|
|A Simply Necessary Patch||Paolo||17 Oct 2021||1.0||Yes|