Hack of Castlevania: Symphony of the Night
|Patching Information||Requires Custom Patcher|
|Genre||Role Playing > Action RPG|
|Hack Release Date||13 August 2021|
|Last Modified||15 August 2021|
Difficulty balance and new randomization options !
The main purpose of this mod is to completely revamp the enemy balance in Sotn. If you’ve played this game before then you know that it is in dire need of such change. What has been done here is bring over Bloodstained Ritual of the Night’s mechanic of enemy stats scaling with their level value, providing a much more consistent difficulty scale throughout the game. This means mostly buffs to enemies and bosses which can vary depending on how strong each enemy already was relative to its placement. In short, expect to find a difficulty balance that is very close to Bloodstained’s. Additional changes include knockback now being based on the nature of the enemy’s attack rather than on its damage output, removal of contact damage on Richter and Doppleganger and more.
On top of this there are 4 more options that you can choose from:
- Randomize enemy levels: assign a random level value to every enemy in the game (odds of being high numbers scale with progression). Only use this in randomizer.
- Randomize enemy resistances: give every enemy a random resistance to each attribute (the more extreme the resistance the rarer).
- Limit level ups: make it so that your EXP gain can only come from non-respawnable bosses, limiting your stats.
- Apply a variety of item tweaks: tone down god tier items, give proper elemental attributes to shield spells and adjust weapon techniques (nerfs and buffs for overall balance).
For a more detailed look at the changes all edits are directly read from the JSON files under DataValues. You can even use these to customize the mod to your liking. This is not in the form of a PPF patch, it is a small program that will patch your rom based on the options you pick. To use it simply place your .bin file inside of the “Rom” folder and then open SotnKindAndFair.exe to proceed, from there everything should be straightforward. I also included a Bizhawk cheat file that you can use to permanently give yourself Spirit Orb, Cube of Zoe and Faerie Scroll since the Sotn randomizer doesn’t have the option to start with those.
Despite the huge modding limitations most of my hopes for this mod have been met, the biggest thing missing would be the removal of the countless stunlocks to death that SotN has, one day hopefully…
ROM / ISO Information:
- Database match: Castlevania - Symphony of the Night (USA) (Track 1)
- Database: http://redump.org/disc/3379/
- Serial Number: SLUS-00067
- File/ROM SHA-1: F967119E006695A59A6442237F9FC7C7811CF7BF
- File/ROM CRC32: 5BE47B2
|Contributor||Type of contribution||Listed credit|
|Z3R0X||Hacking||Found enemy offsets thanks to his editor|
User Review Information
SOTN is fun again!Reviewed By: dj_is_raiden on 11 Oct 2021
This makes SOTN fun again.
Vanilla is so easy it was boring, now not only I get my ass kicked, but also the overall challange and fun the new balance tweaks bring are great.
I’m never playing vanilla again, this is my definitive way to play SOTN.
Version 1.1.3 Recommended - Yes
|SOTN is fun again!||dj_is_raiden||11 Oct 2021||1.1.3||Yes|