A Link to the Past DX
Hack of The Legend of Zelda: A Link to the Past
A Link to the Past DX
|Released By||Con, qwertymodo|
|Patching Information||No-Header (SNES)|
|Hack Release Date||10 January 2017|
|Last Modified||10 January 2017|
This is a collection of various gameplay improvements and bug fixes.
- All new, CD-quality soundtrack (MSU-1, higan/bsnes or SD2SNES only, requires separate download of soundtrack files)
- Improved Pegasus boots, turn while running
- Break pots with sword
- Collect items with sword
- Cancel flute transport
- Death counter no longer increments when selecting “Save and Quit”
- Use L/R to quickly switch between items
- Slowdown reduced (FastROM)
- Kholdstare shell fade re-enabled
- Mothula invincibility to L4 sword fixed
- Glove palette when switching to map fixed
- Shield palette when retrieved from pikit killed with ether fixed
- Various flickering issues fixed
- Cane of Somaria glitches fixed
- Magic cape statue pulling glitch fixed
ROM / ISO Information:
- Legend of Zelda - A Link to the Past, The (NA) (1.0).sfc
- CRC32: 777AAC2F
- MD5: 608C22B8FF930C62DC2DE54BCD6EBA72
- SHA-1: 6D4F10A8B10E10DBE624CB23CF03B88BB8252973
- SHA-256: 66871D66BE19AD2C34C927D6B14CD8EB6FC3181965B6E517CB361F7316009CFB
|Contributor||Type of contribution||Listed credit|
User Review Information
Some decent QoL changesReviewed By: ClaudeDixon on 24 Jun 2021
Some simple, self explanatory changes like fixing the death counter, reduced slowdown, the ability to break pots with sword, and cancel flute transport are all welcome.
Some changes I’m a bit mixed on. The new pegasus boots controls add smoother navigation in the overworld, though I wonder if it could potentially break some puzzles in dungeons (not that I can think of any as of now).
The L/R item switching is useful early on when you only have 2-4 or so items, but it loses its value the more items you get since there’s so many to switch between that you might as well open the menu and select the item. Making L+R 2 extra item slots would’ve been a VASTLY superior change.
Being able to collect items with your sword is standard in later Zeldas, but I’ve always liked its absence in LttP. It somewhat cheapens the difficulty when you’re in a frantic fight low on hearts and can simply swing your sword to collect them, plus it makes less logical sense. But this is a bit of a nitpick.
One issue I want to mention with the base game itself is the annoying process of maxing out bombs/arrows by throwing 100 rupess over and over into a fountain, and it would be FANTASTIC if a future update to this patch could allow throwing 100 rupees at a time instead of 50.
Overall this is a decent QoL hack that offers minor improvements while respecting the original game’s design and difficulty (unlike the Redux hack which altered a dungeon to match the dumbed down GBA port). It’s not crucial to play and enjoy the game like the OoT/Majora’s Mask Redux hacks, but this is understandable because unlike those games, original LttP is nearly flawless, save for that tedious process to max out bombs/arrows I mentioned earlier. A fix for that would elevate this patch to a definitive MUST.
Version 1.6 Recommended - Yes
|Love the changes, but...||M00nMayn||25 Jun 2021||1.6||Yes|
|Some decent QoL changes||ClaudeDixon||24 Jun 2021||1.6||Yes|
|Would be nice to have a guide||Thirteen 1355||23 Feb 2017||1.6||No|
|A more convenient way to re-experience LTTP||Endymian||20 Jan 2017||1.6||Yes|
|Fantastic new features||puzzledude||19 Jan 2015||1.2||Yes|
|Amazing work, but play Zelda 3 Redux instead||Q||22 Jan 2019||N/A||No|