The Legend of Zelda - Majora's Mask - Masked Quest
Hack of The Legend of Zelda: Majora's Mask
The Legend of Zelda - Majora's Mask - Masked Quest
|Patching Information||Byte Swapped (N64)|
|Hack Release Date||01 April 2021|
|Last Modified||01 April 2021|
This is the second phase of my ultimate version of the game with so many changes in the gameplay, altering many known places like; the pirate fortress, the moon, etc.
- Some dungeons modified.
- A new map which replace the Lottery Shop named, “Town Museum”.
- Link and his forms have each individual colors.
- Difficulty increased.
- Sun´s song restored.
- The infamous Moon trial are not optional anymore, with some mask required, perfect for speedruns.
- The 3 MASKS are required for advance to the next trial to gets into the Final room (Majora), the moon field also requires 2 important items in the game To climb towards where is the Majora masked moon child to accept the final challenge of the game, and talking about of moon children, 10 masks are mandatory for gives to the moon children that reminds me the Ganon trials in the Ganon´s Castle in OOT.
- Beta enemies are back.
- Few Sub Bosses are more harder to fight.
- Some aesthetic changes in stages so do remember to its 3DS counterpart.
- Some text are changed and are added for the items, songs and swords.
- The transformation masks have special elemental powers in some attacks (ex. Goron Spikes have the ability to burn some enemies and the Fierce Deity Link is capable of kill enemies with his Sword Beam).
- The Scarecrow´s song, the powder keg and the Elegy are useful.
- Link and his all forms can do manual jump, in 2 different modes, forward and stand jump,
- The shield crouch stab is disabled.
- FD Link have the Adult Link´s size and can open lifting dungeon doors, and can be usable anywhere with no restrictions of any type, he finally can use regular items & weapons, but he can´t use the hookshot, bow and magic arrows.
- Goron Link have the walking speed to match with MM3D´s Goron Link walking speed.
- The hookshot range is lightly extended.
- Zora Link´s double cutters´ range is extended for long throw the fins.
- New Prizes from Romani cows and the rupee wallets.
- The normal wallet has a new digit.
- And new gossip stone hints.
- D-PAD can now be used to access all three transformation masks and the ocarina, allowing a total of seven items to be accessible at all times. Note that this means that the map is no longer possible to toggle off.
- When using the bow, magic arrows can be cycled in a similar fashion to Wind Waker’s magic arrows by setting one and pressing the C buttons + R
- new custom enemies add some unique feels and challenging battles and with new obstacles.
- Some enemies´ desc. are restored.
ROM / ISO Information:
- Database match: Legend of Zelda, The - Majora's Mask (USA)
- Database: No-Intro: Nintendo 64 (v. 20180814-043336)
- File/ROM SHA-1: D6133ACE5AFAA0882CF214CF88DABA39E266C078
- File/ROM CRC32: B428D8A7
|Contributor||Type of contribution||Listed credit|
|Aroenai||Hacking||Some help, Hacking Skills, hacks from his GC MM patches|
|CloudMax||Graphics||by his Texture Explorer program, and hacking documentation|
|fkualol||Hacking||Ram to Rom hacking documentation from J 1.0 game|
|VictorHale||Hacking||some gameshark codes, and assistence|
|Ideka||Levels||level documentation, help about level importing-exporting|
User Review Information
A dismal and disappointing experienceReviewed By: aldaraia on 19 Jun 2021
This is aims to be a Master Quest style of romhack, but goes beyond remixed dungeons and adds in new content, cosmetic changes and altered enemy behavior. The issues become glaringly obvious when the execution goes so far as to hamper the player experience.
Key items are shuffled into new areas that will force the player to evaluate their options based on their available toolset. It starts to become a test of patience when items are needed to solve puzzles that typically have one solution. The problem is that they are incredibly non-intuitive, bizarre, and can even require a brute-force approach akin to throwing darts in the dark.
The game will also punish you for doing quests out of order, in spite of encouraging open-ended gameplay. If you collect Zora eggs from PF without first beating Snowhead, you will be punished for it. It doesn’t help that PF has a bugged chest that opens itself (the original hookshot chest), because it shares flags with a different chest in the area. Without hindsight of that, you will have to go back AGAIN.
One of the string suits of the hack are the enemy designs. They, along with the bosses, have new elemental varieties, aggressive AI, and reduced vulnerabilities to level the playing field. It is a lot more energetic than the vanilla setup, and is part of what kept me interested in finishing the romhack.
Looking back at it now, I regret playing it all the way through. There was no feeling of achievement that came from soldiering through the ridiculous gantlet that was the moon trials. The cruel design choices do not respect the time invested by the player, even mocking them for it.
The moon is where the game becomes very trollish, and actively exploits the naivety of those who don’t know when to quit. First off, the Deku area is the hack’s point of no return. You CAN return in the initial area, but they are deemed as too good for you afterwards.
Once you get to the fourth area, you will be required to use a powder keg. Don’t have one? Reset the game and replay through it all again. Think you’re prepared? If you don’t always keep magic beans or gave away the Gibdo mask, you’re screwed again. Even then, if you don’t always keep a fish with you, then you can count on trudging through it all again.
The manner in which the game will softlock and abuse you just for the privilege of saying you beat it is incredibly heinous and unbecoming of quality romhack design. All of that suffering just to fight a vanilla Majora and an ending that crashes halfways through, plopping your butt in North Clock Town.
Did I beat the hack? Yes. Did I win? No, I was played.
Version 4.3.0 Recommended - No
|A dismal and disappointing experience||aldaraia||19 Jun 2021||4.3.0||No|
|Quite a challenging version.||Anuar||19 Mar 2022||4.3.0||Yes|
|Greatest majora mod so far!||richterwilker||07 Sep 2020||4.2 1/3||Yes|
|The Most Tedious 3D Zelda Hack I've Ever Played||MAOT666||30 Dec 2019||2.5.2||No|
|Phew.. Simply.. AMAZING!!||Final Boss||25 Apr 2019||2.5.2||Yes|
|A horrible mess||SlickYoshi||31 Dec 2019||3.0||No|
|Not all ideas are good ones||Shonen Bat||02 May 2019||2.5.2||No|
|Challenging but has problems||Rouge2||23 Apr 2018||2.5.2||Yes|
|Some changes aren't welcome||Lutherian||20 Apr 2018||2.5.2||No|