Hack of Super Mario RPG: Legend of the Seven Stars
|Patching Information||No-Header (SNES)|
|Hack Release Date||07 May 2021|
|Last Modified||05 October 2022|
This hack was originally intended to replace Culex’s dialogue to match what he says in Japanese for private use. However, it was soon discovered that Super Mario RPG’s text had enough small translation errors, typos and out-of-nowhere capitalization to warrant a close look through every line of dialogue and change what errors could be found. Changes include:
- Mistranslated monster names inconsistently fixed (Goby is now Cheep Cheep, Shy Away is now Beezo, but Culex remains unchanged, etc.)
- Psychopath quotes which were originally (contemporary) Japanese pop culture references have been replaced with (recent, ill-fitting) American pop culture references.
- Final Fantasy references lost/removed in translation have been restored. (along with a few extra unnecessarily added)
- Typos and unnecessary capitalizations fixed, often causing a loss of emphasis in tone. (i.e. “It’s time for MY wedding!” - “It’s time for my wedding!”)
- Various phrases (mostly puns CoolCatBomberMan disliked) rewritten with no regard for the original JP text. (i.e. “It’s a chain reaction!” became “Not my chain!” JP Bowser instead screams “Don’t let go!”)
- As of v1.1, mistranslated item names (really, only one: Quartz Charm - Crystal Charm) plus a certain location’s name (Yo’ster Island - Yoshi’s Island. Other places that needed a name change, such as Mushroom Kingdom/Castle and Moleville/Ducati, were unchanged) have been corrected.
This hack was made possible by giangurgolo & Omega’s Lazy Shell editor. No header required for patching.
Note to staff: This patch has been removed from the site by the author’s request.
ROM / ISO Information:
- Database match: Super Mario RPG - Legend of the Seven Stars (USA)
- Database: No-Intro: Super Nintendo Entertainment System (v. 20210222-050638)
- File/ROM SHA-1: A4F7539054C359FE3F360B0E6B72E394439FE9DF
- File/ROM CRC32: 1B8A0625
|Contributor||Type of contribution||Listed credit|
User Review Information
For a purist like me, this is wonderfulReviewed By: Red Soul on 12 May 2021
While it is understandable that during the heyday of the 16-bit era time, memory and editorial constraints and censorship, as well as the necessity to clear release goals and time tables can lead to translations and/or concessions in the script that, while acceptable, aren’t truly representative of the original tone, style or intent.
What this hack does is bring it closer in line to the conventions of the franchise itself to improve consistency and the overall experience. There may be some that don’t like it due to nostalgia, but I will always prefer a dry, accurate script to one full of editorialism.
Version 1.1 Recommended - Yes
|What could've been...||UltraEpicLeader100||18 Aug 2021||Removed||No|
|For a purist like me, this is wonderful||Red Soul||12 May 2021||1.1||Yes|
|Misguided, pretentious and overall poorly done.||theNightStar||10 May 2021||1.1||No|
|Improved my experience||nejimakipiyo||05 May 2021||1.0||Yes|