Legend of Zelda - Echoes of the Past
Hack of The Legend of Zelda: A Link to the Past
Legend of Zelda - Echoes of the Past
|Patching Information||No-Header (SNES)|
|Hack Release Date||05 June 2021|
|Last Modified||05 June 2021|
Zelda’s wish has had a different outcome than expected, leading to a world not so different from her original…
This hack was made to provide a new adventure in Hyrule. As such, much of the world will have a similar feel to the original while providing new challenges, a different route, and possibly a new trick.
This hack has moderate modifications to the overworld, offering a new look to familiar spaces. Some text has been modified to match this different world. All dungeons were modified, leading to new routes, different big chest items, new puzzles, and increased difficulty. Reflecting the increased difficulty, all that remains of your uncle is a pile of clothes and his sword. Bomb jumping is not required. Save states are not required to complete this journey. Good knowledge of the base game will be helpful.
- Moderate overworld modification
- Minor changes to monologue
- Modified dungeons (all)
- Increased difficulty
- Changed Ganon’s Tower to eliminate possible softlock.
- Changed Swamp Palace locked door to remove possible softlock
- Hints have been added via monologue and adjustments to surroundings
- Additional monologue changes have been made (minor change)
- Red mail is now hidden in the world (all items are now possible)
- Armos Knights (1st), Helmasaur, and Arrghus arenas have been modified
- Additional health and magic are available
- Tweaks to dungeons
Use UPS patcher
ROM / ISO Information:
- Name: Legend of Zelda, The - A Link to the Past (USA)
- Size: 1024KB
- File/ROM SHA-1: 6D4F10A8B10E10DBE624CB23CF03B88BB8252973
- File/ROM CRC32: 777AAC2F
|Contributor||Type of contribution||Listed credit|
User Review Information
The best ALTTP hack so far!Reviewed By: Lunaria on 14 Mar 2021
This hack was generally a good time from start to finish with interesting new “Master Quest” style dungeon changes. The new dungeon items are also neat and I’m glad to see the Cane of Somaria getting more use throughout the game, it’s shockingly underused in vanilla.
Anyone who has beaten ALttP a few times and is familiar with most of the mechanics in it should have a pretty good time with this hack, so I think I could recommend it to mostly anyone (assuming they qualify to that statement). That’s not small feat considering how much chaff there is when it comes to ALttP hacks, that’s not an insult, but rather just a sad observation of the landscape. Making ALttP hacks is hard, the engine don’t bend easily to doing anything differently, even this hack has some bugs associated with that. So for a hack to come out with plenty of modifications but *also* include well designed dungeons? Quite impressive.
So yes, if you’ve been, just like me, waiting for a ALttP hack worth playing that won’t drive you nutz with absurd design or absurd difficulty (like say Parallel Worlds), then this is the one to go for.
High points of my run:
- The trip to get the moon pearl was cool.
- Cane of Somaria getting plenty of love and creative uses.
- Ice palace went from the worst dungeon of the game to one of the best.
- The puzzle to get to the big chest in Skull Woods is really elaborate and nice, I like it.
- More enemies that drop magic in ice palace was appreciated.
- The Bow. Finally.
(I didn’t really use it outside of required stuff and Ganon)
As for complaints, criticisms, or glitches:
- The water dam when released causes buggy visual water to spawn all across the screen.
- A central puzzle in Dark Palace is a bit too hard to figure out since what you need to do is not something that you could really feasibly consider to be doable. There are some hints in the room, but it’s not clear despite those.
- A friend playing this reported that the locked doors in swamp palace reset after leaving the dungeon to go overworld exploring, forcing them to use a cheat code to get more keys for it.
- My inventory is complete sans the Red Mail, it might very well not be in the hack or be super well hidden, but some clarification to either effect would be good.
- Considering how early thieves’ town is, Blind’s Arena is not really okay in the slightest. You can come back and kill him later with the magic cape, but in that case you just cheese in the opposite direction.
- Likewise, Helmasaur King is a bit too overtuned for when he comes in the game, I’d get rid of some of the spikes in the room to give players better avenues to move, the RNG in how the boss moves can just put you in positions with nowhere to dodge.
- I ran into some bugs with the first big room in turtle rock where my Somaria platforms just went off the rails at the end point and floated over and into the wall of the room.
- The torch puzzle in turtle rock on rails is a bit overtuned and feels ill suited, especially if you don’t know to abuse the hookshot for a damage/pit warp.
- Armos Knights fight in eastern palace is maybe a bit overtuned, the author should consider that for most people the fact that you have to do it bow-less is already a big jump up in difficulty, the arena could be slightly more forgiving.
- The spike maze room in Skull Woods’ lower right section is too tight, especially to dodge a Wallmaster, the entry point where you need to thread a needle both horizontally and vertically and hookshot to enter the maze is especially egregious.
- There are some glitchy looking one-way doors in ice palace where you exit out of locked key doors. The dungeon works fine but the visuals of this is weird.
Version 1.0.2 Recommended - Yes
|Good navigational themes but poor trap and enemy structure||ChaosPrime8||22 Jun 2022||1.1.0||No|
|Too many stumped moments||MattKimura||28 Nov 2021||1.1.0||No|
|Great and Balanced Hack (Not Insanely Hard!)||nyquist_theory||31 May 2021||1.0.2||Yes|
|Very fun and enjoyable||RayofJay||12 Apr 2021||1.0.2||Yes|
|The best ALTTP hack so far!||Lunaria||14 Mar 2021||1.0.2||Yes|
|Pretty Balanced Hack||Blazing||08 Feb 2021||1.0.2||Yes|