Mega Man 2 Megamix
Hack of Mega Man 2
Mega Man 2 Megamix
Hack of Mega Man 2
|Patching Information||No Special Requirements|
|Genre||Action > Platformer|
|Hack Release Date||14 August 2021|
|Last Modified||14 August 2021|
v1.01 - FIXED GAME OVER INDUCING GLITCH DUE TO SCROLLING ISSUES WITH WILY STAGE 3 CHECKPOINTS. REVERTED MIDDLE CHECKPOINT BACK TO ORIGINAL POSITION.
Mega Man 2 Megamix is a crossover hack where 4 patches in total are combined, with the addition of a few personal tweaks by the author, in order to give a more “refined” Mega Man 2 experience. None of the levels in the game have been remotely touched (with the exception of a slight edit to the last stage). Instead, most of the changes are quality-of-life improvements and edits to overall make a somewhat more balanced game. The hacks (and their altered content are as follows):
- Mega Man II: The Mystery of Dr. Wily by Retrorain: SRAM save feature and some minor text edits.
- Mega Man 2 - QoL Fixes by Ratheronfire: Major revamp to E-Tanks, Energy Balancer added, fixed Quick Man AI and increased “Get Weapon” text speed.
- Mega Man 2 - Weapon Rebalance by Nali: Balanced weapon consumption and damage, additional Fortress checkpoints and altered Air Man patterns.
- Mega Man II Weapon Hack by omega_rugal: Faster health/weapon bars, altered Leaf Shield, Time Stopper, Crash Bomber, and Atomic Fire.
- Exclusive to Mega Man 2 Megamix by DannyPlaysSomeGames: Further tweaks to the previous patches, revisitable stages, and editing to make sure all patches were compatible.
Further specifications of the alterations of each hack and other tweaks in the Changelog/Readme file. Hope you enjoy. If you have any feedback to help further improve this project, please leave some suggestions or criticisms in the review box down below.
ROM / ISO Information:
- Database match: Mega Man 2 (USA)
- Database: No-Intro: Nintendo Entertainment System (v. 20180803-121122)
- File SHA-1: 2290D8D839A303219E9327EA1451C5EEA430F53D
- File CRC32: 5E268761
- ROM SHA-1: 2EC08F9341003DED125458DF8697CA5EF09D2209
- ROM CRC32: FCFC04D
|Contributor||Type of contribution||Listed credit|
|DannyPlaysSomeGames||Hacking||Combined all the patches and made various tweaks.|
|RetroRain||Original Hacking||Made the "Mega Man II: The Mystery of Dr. Wily" hack|
|Ratheronfire||Original Hacking||Made the "Mega Man 2 - QoL Fixes" hack|
|Nali||Original Hacking||Made the "Mega Man 2 - Weapon Rebalance" hack|
|omega_rugal||Original Hacking||Made the "Mega Man II Weapon Hack" hack|
User Review Information
Better than the originalReviewed By: G30FF on 14 Aug 2021
I just finished my first playthrough of this hack, and I have to say, I really like what’s been changed here. I already enjoyed the fixes from the QOL hack, but I never tried the weapon rebalancing patches included here. The updates are amazing. Leaf Shield, Crash Bomber, and Flash Stopper especially are so much better for it, and Atomic Fire’s changes make it a quick and easy way to dispatch Sniper Joes without too much cost. The damage table rebalancing takes quite a bit of getting used to, and the nerf to Metal Blade’s weapon usage is felt especially hard when you’re used to using it in place of the regular Buster for most of the game. It was quite the eye opener when I reached a boss and the weapon I’m used to using on them didn’t do much damage anymore! The changes are ultimately to the game’s benefit though, because I found myself trying different weapons instead of just relying on Metal Blade most of the game. I especially like that some bosses have been given flat out different weaknesses, like Flash Man’s vulnerability to Crash Bomber increasing and vulnerability to Metal Blade decreasing, and Wily Machine now having Leaf Shield as its primary weakness.
A few varying thoughts:
- Metal Blade is far less useful now, to the point where I wonder if perhaps the energy usage should only be 2 shots per 1 energy instead of 1 shot per 1 energy. But the utility of other weapons does balance it out, and by the end of the game I didn’t mind as much anymore.
- Quick Man is an absolute joke against Flash Stopper now. Even more so than Pharaoh Man vs. Bright Stopper in MM4, except in that fight you still have to actually shoot him! (Did I mention I love the new Flash Stopper changes?)
- Leaf Shield will automatically fire if you’re holding a direction when you activate it. You have to stop moving altogether if you want Leaf Shield to remain around you when you activate it.
- If you’re standing too close to an obstacle when you fire Crash Bomber at it, it will automatically detonate on impact instead of waiting for you to detonate it.
- This hack is compatible with the anti-skid patch, and I’m so glad for that.
Overall, great stuff, and I think it makes for a much better game. The individual hacks combine to make something wonderful!
Version 1.1 Recommended - Yes
|Better than the original||G30FF||14 Aug 2021||1.1||Yes|