Portopia Renzoku Satsujin Jiken
Nintendo Entertainment System
The Portopia Serial Murder Case
|Released By||DvD Translations|
|Platform||Nintendo Entertainment System|
|Patching Information||Requires Custom Patcher|
|Game Date||29 November 1985|
|Patch Version||Rev. B (Manual Rev. B2)|
|Release Date||12 November 2011|
|Last Modified||24 August 2020|
The second NES game released by Enix, the first being the forgettable Door Door. I don’t know much about this game, but it’s by Yuji Horii, so you know it rocks. At first it looks like a standard text adventure, but I hear later on it becomes a weird Wizardry-style dungeon crawler thing.
This is the first adventure game released on the Famicom. Yuji Horii ported this, his successful NEC PC-8801 game, to the Famicom to determine whether the Famicom action game crowd would take to an adventure game. The game did quite well. Because of this, Horii was able to release the game he really wanted to make for the Famicom, the first Japanese console RPG: Dragon Quest.
Over 4 years since we released Rev. A and we are finally done with the project. We are all VERY happy to be done with this project. Our beta testers really liked the improvements to the script and we hope you will too.
Our Rev. B/B2 release features:
- Fully re-translated script by a native Japanese person who grew up in the USA and played the game when it first came out on a Famicom
- Additional code hacking to allow emulation on more emulators, more special characters creating improved Shinkaichi scene, more accurate menus, and more
- Fully translated manual in HTML format with graphics from the original Japanese manual
- Updated read-me with hints tailored to this release, since it now includes the actual manual translation
- New Secret Word, Secret Word entry form, and Updated Secret Page
- New map of game locations based on a Google Earth shot of Japan
Besides the IPS file and the Read-Me, the patch includes ROM expansion script in ROM Expander Pro format (ROM Expander tool can be found here http://www.romhacking.net/utilities/831/), HTML manual with scans from the original, and map of the area of Japan where the game takes place.
Note that the ROM patch has not changed since Rev B.
ROM / ISO Information:
- Portopia Renzoku Satsujin Jiken (Japan).nes - NOINTRO
- CRC32: 9B2B749B
- MD5: 8E2619180062804B3300477EF82A66BB
- SHA-1: C943A39CB4B4D67395A22138A78F74815B1F82D7
- SHA-256: FBB85D0BAF543E4D492ED74A95B28C3D7F51849D09A053CE6DCFE9A9EF07EC16
User Review Information
You can finally play PORTOPIA... and understand it!Reviewed By: Fray on 17 Jan 2021
First of all I would like to thank the authors of this translation because they did an excellent job, both with the game and the manual. An impeccable, professional job! As for the game itself, I must say that is a nice game, enjoyable, but sometimes, in my opinion, it “lacks logic”, I mean, it happened to me to repeat many times certain actions (as recommended in the readme) in order to continue the story, when instead I just had to go to a certain place, without making any action, and get the solution to the problem…
[When, for example, in order to be able to continue you just have to go to the police station and you receive the right clue or information without even summoning any suspect... As for the maze, I made a map, it takes time and patience, but you can do it].
END OF SPOILER
Anyway, despite the game’s shortcomings, which may be attractive graphics (even if I like it among the others ports) and soundtrack, I found it fun and why not, even exciting.
Version Rev. B (Ma Recommended - Yes
|You can finally play PORTOPIA... and understand it!||Fray||17 Jan 2021||Rev. B (Ma||Yes|
|Great Translation for a (Mostly) Great Game||andronplays||25 Nov 2020||Rev. B (Ma||Yes|