Metal Gear (MSX2)
|Patching Information||No Special Requirements|
|Game Date||07 July 1987|
|Release Date||08 July 2020|
|Last Modified||08 July 2020|
The granddaddy of all stealth action games. Metal Gear (this version anyway) is what Hideo Kojima had in mind with the series. The graphics are great in comparison to the NES version, and this has more bosses, a bit more dialogue, and is generally more fun to play.
This patch is for the Japanese localization of Konami’s Metal Gear for the MSX home computer. It translates the game to English. The context and meaning of the original Japanese is maintained, but grammar, spelling, and expressions are adapted to American English speakers.
- Faithful fan translation of all 155 messages from the original Japanese version of the game. The original United Kingdom release of the game did not include all the original messages. The current full script is 12210 bytes, and is compressed by 45% to 6693 bytes.
- New font with lowercase lettering. This is not a feature available in any other version of the game.
- Full compliance with details from other titles in the Metal Gear series.
ROM / ISO Information:
- Metal Gear (1987)(Konami)(Jp)[RC-750].rom
- CRC32: BE84C94F
- MD5: 439EA985617135D70858F0E6F88BA0F9
- SHA-1: 7D685547C2A4B92FA62E00854E4A9689D495F93D
- SHA-256: 254FFCD94D9BA2322C00DF88B21B33B338E3238B90962820BBCAA2BB621E18CF
User Review Information
Excelent work!!Reviewed By: GhaleonUnlimited on 06 Jan 2021
Infinitely better than the original UK translation (which itself was still much better than playing the NES version).
A much-needed project when it was released, and remains great today!
There is a newer EN patch for the MSX2 MG (without explanation of why it was needed) that I have yet to play, but MG1 is not exactly MGS in terms of writing, so it’s hard to imagine how drastically they can differ.
Grammar is overall excellent, so definitely recommended.
Differences between this and the MGS3:Subsistence official translation will largely come down to what platform you want to play MG1 on, which item/weapon descriptions you like best, and what font you prefer.
I personally dislike this font over the original MSX2, but not enough to whine about it in a review (and they’re both much more fitting for an MSX2 game than the MGS3 font).
Version 1.995c Recommended - Yes
|Excelent work!!||GhaleonUnlimited||06 Jan 2021||1.995c||Yes|
|Good translation, ends up mediocre||Gamerhenky||02 May 2017||1.9||No|