Super Mario Unlimited - Deluxe
Hack of Super Mario Bros.
Super Mario Unlimited - Deluxe
Hack of Super Mario Bros.
|Patching Information||No Special Requirements|
|Genre||Action > Platformer|
|Hack Release Date||26 March 2021|
|Last Modified||26 March 2021|
Super Mario Unlimited Deluxe is a traditional-style Mario hack with difficulty ramping up from beginner to expert. It is based on the Super Mario Bros engine, but has been completely reworked into a whole new adventure.
Changes from the original game include:
- 41 Original Levels!
- Unlimited Lives!
- New Power-up! The stopwatch lets Mario freeze his enemies
- New Mechanics! Mario can super jump off enemies by holding A
- New Collectable! Find all 32 Mario coins to unlock secrets
- New Graphics and Music! A familiar mix of new and old
New features and changes in this DELUXE version:
- Save your progress with three save game slots
- All new Bowser fight with new music
- A “secret message” at the end of each world
- Attempt counter aka lives counter
- Mario coin count is displayed on screen
- Indicator displayed for when a Mario coin has been picked up
- Hidden power up blocks are now partially visible
- Fire flowers always give you fire power, even if Mario is small
- You can jump off enemies and kick shells while invincible
- Kicked shells kill piranha plants
- Different end game text depending on how you play the game
- Bowser’s castle expanded with a second route
- World 6-5 expanded
- Hidden bonus level added
- “Speed runner mode” - Can you beat your personal record?
- Second Quest / “Hard Mode” enabled after you beat the game
- Added stopwatch sound effect
- Music doesn’t reset when you go in pipes
- Extensive color overhaul and cleaned up graphics
- Removed the points system entirely
- Changed title screen
- Added intro screens
- Some levels have small changes to fix issues
- Fixed issue where music wouldn’t start right after unpausing
- Made shells go faster off ledges so Mario doesn’t run into them
- Fixed whirlpools so they don’t suck you down when you get hit
- Other minor tweaks, bug fixes and edits
Also included are a Strategy Guide with detailed information on all cheats and secrets, as well as cover art for use with a NES Classic.
Inspired by the likes of DahrkDaiz, ATA and other great rom hackers of the mid-2000s, Frantik started work on Super Mario Unlimited with the hopes of creating his own asm-heavy Mario masterpiece. It took close to 7 years, but eventually the game was released to the world in late 2011. Overall, The hack was well received and was even featured in a video by James Rolfe of AVGN fame. Despite the popularity, it was a little rough around the edges, most notably with some questionable choices near the end and a little too much of that infamous “Nintendo Hard”.
In 2017 Frantik decided to go back and start adding a bit more polish, and Super Mario Unlimited: Deluxe was born. Everything good about the original has been made better, and everything bad has been removed or at least cleaned up. This is the original vision he had when he first began 15 years ago!
Version 2.4 - 26 March 2021
- Fixed issue which would cause title screen to sometimes display incorrectly after beating the game
Version 2.3 - 15 March 2021
- Moved coin in cloud
- Minor tweaks to some in game text
- Fixed bug with hard mode/second quest
- Made it easier to access second quest for speedrunner mode
- Modified Podoboo behavior after Bowser has been defeated
Version 2.2 - 18 January 2021
- Made “Speedrunner Mode” easier to use
- Cleaned up display when skipping intro screens
- Cleaned up Strategy Guide document
Version 2.01 - 22 November 2020
- Swapped in SMB3 squished goomba sprite
Version 2.0 - 21 November 2020
- Initial public release
ROM / ISO Information:
- Database match: Super Mario Bros. (World)
- Database: No-Intro: Nintendo Entertainment System (v. 20180803-121122)
- File SHA-1: EA343F4E445A9050D4B4FBAC2C77D0693B1D0922
- File CRC32: 3337EC46
- ROM SHA-1: FACEE9C577A5262DBE33AC4930BB0B58C8C037F7
- ROM CRC32: D445F698
|Contributor||Type of contribution||Listed credit|
|frantik||Hacking||Asm, Levels, Graphics, new music in Deluxe version|
|Dr. Floppy||Music||Music composition and music engine hacking on original Super Mario Unlimited|
User Review Information
A Very Super Mario HackReviewed By: ThroughT1m3 on 25 Dec 2020
Firstly the original Mario Unlimited was one of my favorite Mario games. So this deluxe version was a real treat. The intro screens displaying the authors name is really nice and the one with Mario which added his voice was awesome. The great title screen now houses a really cool save feature. Color palette used in this version is much better.
Now the gameplay. This game feels like a it was actual made by the Nintendo. Great levels, mechanics and physics. Stopwatch power-up is really nice. The secondary Mario coin is impressive. Many people complain about the difficulty but I feel like most Mario hacks are either bad games or just plain hard. SMBUD has one of the best difficulty spectrums of any Mario hack. Starts out nice and fun and gets harder and harder each world.
Nothing kaizo though. You get infinite lives. Take ten or fifteen minutes to practice the level and beat it. If you can spend two hours staring at a social media site, you can take the fifteen minutes to study the level and accomplish it. The technical features of this hack are really cool. The Bowser fight was really neat. So cool hearing Mario’s voice in SMB.
Graphics are really nice. Text boxes are cool. Speed runner mode is adds a awesome feature to any who do that kind of thing. There are a million and one SMB hacks out there but only a few that are this good. The author’s abilities really shine with this hack. The effort and time put in really shows and the result is one of the coolest hacks ever made.
Version 2.01 Recommended - Yes
|You thought The Lost Levels were hard?||BlueYoshi||19 Mar 2021||2.3||No|
|I registered here just to make a review, it was that good||thesoftbulletin||18 Mar 2021||2.3||Yes|
|Amazing||grizz6||13 Mar 2021||2.2||Yes|
|A Very Super Mario Hack||ThroughT1m3||25 Dec 2020||2.01||Yes|
|I really like the graphics, gameplay, and levels. (With some caveats)||isoacc||05 Dec 2020||2.01||Yes|
|Ridiculous difficulty curve||Xenon_Xyanide||01 Dec 2020||2.01||No|
|LOOOOVE this game!||scarlet||01 Dec 2020||2.01||Yes|
|It's playable||gravitygoesup1||29 Nov 2020||2.01||No|
|A very promising hack but difficulty curve issues||Ligeia||26 Nov 2020||2.01||No|