Final Fantasy IV - Ultima
Hack of Final Fantasy II
Final Fantasy IV - Ultima
Hack of Final Fantasy II
|Released By||8-bit fan|
|Patching Information||No-Header (SNES)|
|Hack Release Date||10 January 2021|
|Last Modified||10 January 2021|
Final Fantasy IV - Ultima is a ‘deluxe’ version of Final Fantasy II for the SNES. This hack adds a bunch of additions to the base game while keeping the majority of the main story intact and the feel of FF2US the same.
List of features, additions and changes:
- Party Swapping among 10 different members at Endgame!!
- Dark Knight Cecil now available at endgame!!
- A VERY Challenging BOSS RUSH Mode unlocked at endgame!!
- New Game+ mode with higher MAX level/stats!!
- 45 New Weapons! Including Magically Imbued Weapons!
- 54 New Spells/Summons! Also revamped existing spells!
- 32 New Bosses! Brand New Boss at Endgame with Randomized AI!
- New Status ‘Aura’ for buffs during battle!!
- Damage Limit increased to 14999! Can turn Encounters On/Off!
- New Areas! New Side Quests! New and Upgradable Commands!!
- New Enemy Graphics! New Events! New Endgame Scenarios!
- New Equipment Screen with DETAILED buffs and stats!!
- New attack/swing/spell animations!
- New weapon graphics!! New sound effects! New items!!
- New maps, new areas and new edits to overworld maps!
- New events! New enemies!! Sprint with the Y button!!
- New commands for characters. New Armors and Gears!
- Revamped shops/equipment and balanced their progression.
- Dark Knight Cecil now dual-wields and is 2-handed!!
- Edge is now buffed offensively! Stealing is also buffed!
- Rydia has also been buffed. It’s a surprise!
- Cecil has been buffed as a tank.
- Rosa can use more White Mage combative gears.
- Kain has new offensive buffing spells.
- Yang, Edward, Palom, Porom and others have also been buffed!
- Rare items and summons now drop much easier! This hack’s main game is designed as a ‘play-through’ without grinding.
- Many enemies now have meaningful rare drops, and all end-game enemies now have rare ultimate drops!
- Lots of secrets that can lead to early acquirement of better equipment!
- Few minor tweaks to the base game such as save points, etc.
- MOST items/equipment are now non-missable. Meaning they will be acquirable in some ways at end-game.
More guides and info at:
ROM / ISO Information:
- Final Fantasy II (U) [!] (v1.1).smc
- Version 1.1
- Unheadered (1,049,088 bytes)
- CRC-32: 23084FCD
- MD-5: 27D02A4F03E172E029C9B82AC3DB79F7
- SHA-1: 41A74EB369A7A91815529EF99AB1B20E20E2BDF3E26
|Contributor||Type of contribution||Listed credit|
|chillyfeez||Hacking||Technical Producer - Custom Graphics/ASM work|
|vivify93||Hacking||Project II used as base|
|Grimoire LD||Hacking||Critical Hit bug fix, Adamant Armor bug fix|
|Myself086||Hacking||Improved Sprint function|
|b0ardface||Hacking||Attack Power Overflow bug fix|
|Aexoden||Hacking||Various ASM work|
|Crow!||Hacking||Advanced Equipment Screen mod|
User Review Information
Amazing HackReviewed By: einlanzer on 18 Dec 2020
This is gradually becoming the definitive way of experiencing FFIV. There’s way more that I love than things that I don’t, but here are just a few critiques:
1.) The main section of the game definitely feels easier due to the cheese weapon/armor factor. This isn’t necessarily a bad thing, but I think there could be a bit of tweaking. For example, there was a long stretch of the game where Rosa became my best fighter due a combination of strength enhancing items and the availability of strong weapons for her. This was a fun novelty, but ultimately felt a bit odd mostly because it didn’t feel she gave up much of her white mage prowess to achieve it. Power Clothes should probably be no more than +10 to strength.
2.) The difficulty suddenly jumps in the giant of babil, just in time for you to accidentally trap yourself in there with insufficient items/levels/etc. I got kind of frustrated and ended up having to save state abuse to get through a couple of fights. If you want to keep this as-is, I’d definitely recommend at least having Life potions drop from some of the fights.
3.) I realize there’s probably a reason, but I was pretty disappointed to see Cid wasn’t available for party swapping and I would really love to see this feature be expanded not only to him but also potentially to Tellah, Fusoya, Anna, or Golbez (though I realize there are probably significant technical hurdles for the latter two). Arguably, it would have been cooler to swap Cecil out for Golbez instead of swapping Paladin for DK Cecil.
4.) Speaking of Tellah & Fusoya, I did find it a bit odd that their levels were set so high instead of just getting rebalanced as proper characters with normal stat growth. Tellah in particular since you have him for a long time (I would love to see his MP grow with his Meteo just being locked out, but even barring that some natural growth to his wis and spirt would be nice. Likewise, I was surprised to see that Yang and cid weren’t given wis/spirit growth.
5.) Edward feels a tad over-buffed with all the equipment available to him (I can see swords, but axes and spears?) but I love the changes to his abilities.