Hack of Super Mario Bros. 2
Hack of Super Mario Bros. 2
|Patching Information||No Special Requirements|
|Genre||Action > Platformer|
|Hack Release Date||06 June 2018|
|Last Modified||06 June 2018|
This is designed to fix a few small things without changing the game too much.
List of Changes:
- Restored the sound effect that’s supposed to play when you die. It never worked due to a bug.
- Restored the missing 8th animation frame for tiles. It was never shown due to a bug.
- Swapped names for OSTRO and BIRDO in the credits.
- Changed PRINCESS to PEACH in credits and “contributor” text.
- Changed “PUSH START BUTTON” to “PUSH START”.
- Changed “PUSH (A) BUTTON” to “PRESS BUTTON”.
- Changed CLAWGLIP to CLAWGRIP in credits.
- Changed HOOPSTAR to HOOPSTER in credits.
- Changed TRICLYDE to TRYCLYDE in credits.
- Fixed issue where doing a charge jump makes you throw an item.
- Fixed POW graphics (The “O” was offset by one pixel in one frame).
ROM / ISO Information:
- Super Mario Bros. 2 (USA).nes - NOINTRO
- CRC32: 57AC67AF
- MD5: CCD25B4FA7ACDDEF38D75212AE0E5432
- SHA-1: 7DF0F595B074F587C6A1D8F47E031F045D540DAE
- SHA-256: 47BA60FAD332FDEA5AE44B7979FE1EE78DE1D316EE027FEA2AD5FE3C0D86F25A
|Contributor||Type of contribution||Listed credit|
User Review Information
Recommendable, but makes excessive "corrections" while missing an obvious one.Reviewed By: Mr. Pennington on 18 Oct 2020
This is definitely the best SMB2/USA we’ve got so far. It’s the only patch I’m aware of which implements the previously unheard death sound effect and prevents unintentional item tosses when performing charged jumps, the latter being an EXTREMELY welcome fix and the former being a cool little piece of history restored. That, along with the animation fix and (most of) the cast roll touch-ups, make for a noticeably more refined experience than the stock game.
It misses what I’d consider a fairly obvious error: the “M” on Autobombs, which should be a “W” to represent “Wart” instead of his Japanese name, Mamu. (Even the Famicom release retains “Wart” in the cast roll.) Not a big deal by itself, but it stands out when several completely unnecessary text changes were made instead. Why is “Princess” now “Peach?” She wouldn’t go by that name for years, so this INTRODUCES an error. (I’d think “Toadstool” would be the most appropriate replacement, if it needed to be changed at all.) Why did “Push Start Button” and “Push (A) Button” need to be trimmed? Those were both correct prompts.
Had it caught the Autobomb error and dialed back the unnecessary text alterations, this would be a flawless Mario 2. That leaves it NEARLY flawless Mario 2, which certainly earns a recommendation. (Man, does “Peach” stand out like a sore thumb, though.)
Version 2018.6.6 Recommended - Yes
|Recommendable, but makes excessive "corrections" while missing an obvious one.||Mr. Pennington||18 Oct 2020||2018.6.6||Yes|
|Great, with one anachronistic flaw||zoinknoise||03 Jul 2020||2018.6.6||Yes|
|Perfect||WebSlinger||30 Jan 2018||2015.10.23||Yes|
|Perfect hack, also work with Rev A (PRG1)||madness flame||12 Jul 2016||2015.10.23||Yes|