Sonic 2 Delta
Hack of Sonic the Hedgehog 2
Sonic 2 Delta
Hack of Sonic the Hedgehog 2
|Patching Information||BIN Format (GEN)|
|Genre||Action > Platformer|
|Hack Release Date||04 April 2015|
|Last Modified||14 March 2019|
Sonic 2 Delta is one of those rare hacks that is actually better than the original game. The original zones, with a few exceptions, are untouched; this hack restores zones that were cut during development.
While two of these zones (Wood and Hidden Palace) are available in the prototype ROM floating around the net, they’re in an unfinished and nearly unplayable state. One zone, Dust Hill, was restored based on a single mock-up screenshot; Winter Hill was based on an interview. Even Casino Night, which received a makeover since its beta state, has been restored to its former (very pink) look. The only zone that is incomplete in this hack is Genocide City, which is merely Chemical Plant with a different background and palette. Enemies from early revisions have also been restored
In addition to restoring cut zones, the hack adds a few new features: The ring counter now shows how many rings remain in a zone, the level select menu has been updated to allow access to the new zones, some Sonic 3 graphics have been ported, and even Knuckles has been ported from Sonic & Knuckles!
This is one of those hacks that simply must be played, its only flaws are the somewhat amateur-feeling level designs for the new zones and the fact it does not work on the real Genesis hardware.
The latest version is based off the revision 02 which was extracted from the Sonic Compilation for Sega Genesis. The ROM is called Sonic the Hedgehog 2 (W) (REVSC02). The ROM should be in BIN format. The patch is in xdelta format due to shifted data resulting in IPS patches containing original code.
- Green Hill Zone: Sonic the Hedgehog level.
- Emerald Hill Zone: Prototype layout elements and Coconut monkey enemies are replaced with the scrapped Snail enemies.
- Winter Hill Zone: Scrapped level.
- Wood Zone: The graphics are similar to what is seen in the Simon Wai prototype. Scrapped level.
- Dust Hill Zone: Graphics similar to those featured in the mockup screenshot that was featured in many magazines. Scrapped level.
- Chemical Plant Zone: Small minor alterations were made, such as the loops having slanted corners as seen in prototype media.
- Labyrinth Zone: Sonic the Hedgehog level.
- Neo Green Hill Zone: Prototype name, and music.
- Star Light Zone: Sonic the Hedgehog level.
- Casino Night Zone: Redesigned to look like the prototype level which had lots of pink.
- Marble Zone: Sonic the Hedgehog level.
- Hill Top Zone
- Spring Yard Zone: Sonic the Hedgehog level.
- Mystic Cave Zone
- Hidden Palace Zone: Graphics and layout are the same as in the Nick Arcade prototype. Scrapped level
- Oil Ocean Zone: Redesigned to look like the prototype. Features ride-able balls which were found in the betas.
- Metropolis Zone
- Genocide City Zone: Scrapped level.
- Scrap Brain Sonic the Hedgehog level.
- Final Zone: Sonic the Hedgehog level.
- Sky Fortress Zone
- Sky Chase Zone
- Death Egg Zone: Three rings added to the beginning of the level.
- Objects now uses Sonic 3/K Style Status Table ($4A size).
- Level layouts uses Y indexed like Sonic 3/K. (Some improvements on tiles loading).
- Level Select Menu now Has separated pages for Sonic 1 and Sonic 2 Levels.
- Fixed some bugs from previous version, like rotating pallete for Sonic in Sonic 1 Special Stage.
- All objects was manually edited to new SST.
- Improved some code (ex: Centisecond now uses a table, previous versions uses divs).
ROM / ISO Information:
- No-Intro Name: Sonic The Hedgehog 2 (World) (Rev00)
- CRC32: 24AB4C3A
- MD5: 8E2C29A1E65111FE2078359E685E7943
- SHA-1: 14DD06FC3AA19A59A818EA1F6DE150C9061B14D4
|Contributor||Type of contribution||Listed credit|
User Review Information
Good intentions but the new levels are HORRIBLEReviewed By: Marcos Moutta on 01 Oct 2020
The new levels are so bad they make Sonic CD seem like a masterpiece! They are seriously some of the worse, if not THE WORSE Sonic levels I’ve ever played. And since they are literally all this hack has to offer (other than a save system that is seriously unnecessary), I’d say ignore the hyped up reviews that are basically talking about the idea of having the cut levels, and not actually about the hack.
Version 0.25a Recommended - No
|Good intentions but the new levels are HORRIBLE||Marcos Moutta||01 Oct 2020||0.25a||No|
|Ideas are interesting||diablo666||20 Jun 2020||0.25a||Yes|
|Great Hack With One Big Bug||metanite64||12 Feb 2020||0.25a||Yes|
|Makes the original obsolete.||Ar8temis008||29 Sep 2017||0.25a||Yes|
|Use of prototype stuff is awesome!||MathUser2929||08 Jun 2016||0.24a||Yes|