Dragon Warrior 3 Hardtype
Hack of Dragon Warrior III
Dragon Warrior 3 Hardtype
Hack of Dragon Warrior III
|Patching Information||No Special Requirements|
|Hack Release Date||04 July 2017|
|Last Modified||10 May 2018|
This hack is designed to revive an old classic with some new balance features and a much higher difficulty.
- Enemy stats generally increased, particularly their damage.
- More thorough redesigns for late-game enemies and bosses.
- Merchants now enhance the party’s item drop rates by an average of 50% and increase gold by an average of 25%. They can also use Falcon Sword, have substantially improved stats, and can wear much more equipment than in the original game. Plus they can activate almost any spell-casting weapon in the game (and there are more of these than in the original game).
- Wizard’s early game spells, spell learning rate, and agility have been improved substantially, but their late game performance is largely the same as before.
- Soldiers now gain bonus defense equal to level/2+2.
- Fighters now have more claws and are more offensively oriented.
- Pilgrims now have better physical damage output.
- Goof-Offs now have improved equipment selection and stats, though still don’t perform optimally in combat.
- It is now possible to class change into Goof-Off.
- Equipment re-balance plus NEW equipment, such as the evasion-granting Dark Robe, the fire-resistant Wool Robe, the crit and miss rate altering Gambler’s Turban, the powerful Icespears casting Fangs of Fenrir claw, the luck granting Blessed Helmet, and more! (see below for more details)
- New drops from enemies and higher drop rates across the board (see below for details)
- Class changing from a 0 MP class to a class that gains MP now starts you with an amount of MP based on your Intelligence.
- Golden Claw curse is now only in effect in the room it is found in and the claw casts Bang when used in combat.
- Parry/Fight and Hero’s 8 spells bugs removed.
- Cursed equipment is no longer destroyed when uncursed, and has also been made more useful, having some new, powerful, and unique effects to accompany their downsides (see equipment lists for details).
- When enemies are immune to a spell, flavor text now informs you that the enemy is immune.
- Seeds of Vitality and Intelligence now grant HP and MP proportional to the Vitality and Intelligence they give.
- And much more!
New in v2.2.0
- Endgame boss gauntlet made *slightly* less difficult
- Fighter’s endgame HP improved
- Wizard’s endgame HP and agility improved
- Goof-Off’s stat growth and equipment options greatly improved
- Various Pilgrim spell MP cost reductions
- Zombie Slasher and Dragon Killer bonuses reworked
- Golden Crown, Dark Robe, and Shield of Strength now offer some resistances
- Cursed equipment rebalance
- Some other minor class and equipment rebalance
- The king of Romaly no longer reclaims his crown
- Staff of Change can now turn you into an elf (bugfix from the original game)
New in v2.2.1
- Fixed a bug where a confused ally would sometimes cause errors.
New in v2.2.2
- Fixed a bug where Soldier wrongly couldn’t use some equipment.
ROM / ISO Information:
- File Name: Dragon Warrior III (U) [!].nes
- No-Intro Name: Dragon Warrior III (USA)
- (No-Intro version 20130731-235630)
- File MD5: 3EF863D2DF43E805BAD70F74F0CCD909
- File SHA-1: A867549BAD1CBA4CD6F6DD51743E78596B982BD8
- File CRC32: 0EB63E83
- ROM MD5: 16A03048CE659D3D733026B6B72F2470
- ROM SHA-1: E58B61B031A9F0DC168525654BCB9883EF61A976
- ROM CRC32: A86A5318
|Contributor||Type of contribution||Listed credit|
User Review Information
One of the best « hard type » hackReviewed By: Grandpaf on 21 Jul 2020
As a long time player of Dragon Warrior III, I really, really recommend this. It is not a kaizo type hack, but a hack where you need to be skilled at the vanilla version. That is, most of the changes are very nice. Here’s the pro:
- The balance feels right. Even if enemies got buffed, your party members have new tricks up their sleeve to dealt with it.
- Speaking of classes… each one of them received a overhaul. The merchant has really nice new skills like increasing % of drops after battle and can use most of the equipment to simulate wizard spells. Speaking of the wizard, his spells are now stronger compared to the vanilla version where he was just good at casting bikill.
- Each battles is a fight for your life. You really need to think before your first move. Will you try to wipe out your enemies in the first round or will you play more defensively? It all depends on your party and enemies on screen.
- Oh… and it really feels like an adventure. It’s really immersive.
I do have two complaints, though:
- I have the feeling the merchant growth have a bug. In my second playthrough, my merchant almost stopped gaining stats points at level 50 which was not the case with my other characters. Not having more than 380 hp in the end game is quite a problem because…
- I have to say that the final boss is really difficult, maybe a bit too much. I really like the fact he got buffed up because in the vanilla game he was such a joke with the sage stone. However, he now deals big chunks of damage (like 150 on each members, each rounds) and it piles up really quick. It felt like you had to break your party just to give them more healing spells, which kinda kills the classes overhaul. I should be able to defeat Zoma with my own party and not to be forced to invest that much time with the class change system. That’s just my personal opinion :)
Still, I really recommend this hack. Just give it a go. I did and I never went back to vanilla.
Version 2.2.2 Recommended - Yes
|One of the best « hard type » hack||Grandpaf||21 Jul 2020||2.2.2||Yes|
|Excellent For a Fresh Playthrough||Drag0nwind||07 Aug 2015||2.1.2||Yes|