Final Fantasy IV - Ultima
Hack of Final Fantasy II
Final Fantasy IV - Ultima
Hack of Final Fantasy II
|Released By||8-bit fan|
|Patching Information||No-Header (SNES)|
|Hack Release Date||10 January 2021|
|Last Modified||10 January 2021|
Final Fantasy IV - Ultima is a ‘deluxe’ version of Final Fantasy II for the SNES. This hack adds a bunch of additions to the base game while keeping the majority of the main story intact and the feel of FF2US the same.
List of features, additions and changes:
- Party Swapping among 10 different members at Endgame!!
- Dark Knight Cecil now available at endgame!!
- A VERY Challenging BOSS RUSH Mode unlocked at endgame!!
- New Game+ mode with higher MAX level/stats!!
- 45 New Weapons! Including Magically Imbued Weapons!
- 54 New Spells/Summons! Also revamped existing spells!
- 32 New Bosses! Brand New Boss at Endgame with Randomized AI!
- New Status ‘Aura’ for buffs during battle!!
- Damage Limit increased to 14999! Can turn Encounters On/Off!
- New Areas! New Side Quests! New and Upgradable Commands!!
- New Enemy Graphics! New Events! New Endgame Scenarios!
- New Equipment Screen with DETAILED buffs and stats!!
- New attack/swing/spell animations!
- New weapon graphics!! New sound effects! New items!!
- New maps, new areas and new edits to overworld maps!
- New events! New enemies!! Sprint with the Y button!!
- New commands for characters. New Armors and Gears!
- Revamped shops/equipment and balanced their progression.
- Dark Knight Cecil now dual-wields and is 2-handed!!
- Edge is now buffed offensively! Stealing is also buffed!
- Rydia has also been buffed. It’s a surprise!
- Cecil has been buffed as a tank.
- Rosa can use more White Mage combative gears.
- Kain has new offensive buffing spells.
- Yang, Edward, Palom, Porom and others have also been buffed!
- Rare items and summons now drop much easier! This hack’s main game is designed as a ‘play-through’ without grinding.
- Many enemies now have meaningful rare drops, and all end-game enemies now have rare ultimate drops!
- Lots of secrets that can lead to early acquirement of better equipment!
- Few minor tweaks to the base game such as save points, etc.
- MOST items/equipment are now non-missable. Meaning they will be acquirable in some ways at end-game.
More guides and info at:
ROM / ISO Information:
- Final Fantasy II (U) [!] (v1.1).smc
- Version 1.1
- Unheadered (1,049,088 bytes)
- CRC-32: 23084FCD
- MD-5: 27D02A4F03E172E029C9B82AC3DB79F7
- SHA-1: 41A74EB369A7A91815529EF99AB1B20E20E2BDF3E26
|Contributor||Type of contribution||Listed credit|
|chillyfeez||Hacking||Technical Producer - Custom Graphics/ASM work|
|vivify93||Hacking||Project II used as base|
|Grimoire LD||Hacking||Critical Hit bug fix, Adamant Armor bug fix|
|Myself086||Hacking||Improved Sprint function|
|b0ardface||Hacking||Attack Power Overflow bug fix|
|Aexoden||Hacking||Various ASM work|
|Crow!||Hacking||Advanced Equipment Screen mod|
User Review Information
Best FF4 hack out there, by far.Reviewed By: NWCHAOS on 20 Jul 2020
After multiple run throughs (versions 7, 8, 9, and now 10.2), I can honestly say this is the best hack for Final Fantasy 4 (FF2US) that I have ever come across. The experience has been spectacular, from the spell integrations, additional bosses, many new items and lots of new gear, and a VERY active discord community - detailed below.
Spell integrations In version 10.2, this hack takes a page out of later Final Fantasy games by adding a spell effect to many different items, complete with animations - so when you attack, you have a chance to proc that items “special ability,” which looks simply awesome, and adds to the unique flavor of the hack.
Additional Bosses … are everywhere, with custom animations, graphics, abilities, and they scale in difficulty - giving you an end-game for the first time ever in a Final Fantasy game that has over a dozen additional boss battles to look forward to, some rather easy, but some hard as hell!
New Items, Gear, and Vendors … are everywhere. The sheer amount of new stuff makes me wonder how they fit it all in! From weapons and armor, to on-use items, to thrown stuff, to a complete overhaul of the vendors to give them an assortment of items that are actually useful - all of which fit into the theme of Ultima - seamlessly added, none of which detract from the story line. There is even the ability to switch out your final party at the end, with more changes coming each iteration.
The discord community 8-Bit Fan’s discord server has many knowledgeable people, who answer all questions - from the most mundane to the most technical, and he goes above and beyond to make sure everyone who comes in feels at home, with a welcome message and great communication. To me, this is the best part of this Hack - having a loyal steadfast group of followers who play through every version of the hack, and have discussions, suggestions, and ideas to add new features - I asked a question about a specific ability found in later FF games, how hard it would be to add, and this spawned a discussion that added several new items into the game, and gave old characters new abilities to make them more useful / fun to play. I’ve never seen a discord community so actively involved in the “think tank” of a hack.
Summary I would absolutely recommend this to any Final Fantasy fan, do yourself a favor and try it out, and come say hi to one of the best communities I’ve ever come across in my 35 years of gaming. Thanks for taking the time to make an excellent hack, guys!!
- Dave (aka NWCHAOS)