Hack of Final Fantasy
Hack of Final Fantasy
|Released By||Manall Lockhart|
|Patching Information||No Special Requirements|
|Hack Release Date||24 January 2023|
|Last Modified||24 January 2023|
This mod brings you a fresh and harder Final Fantasy with greater depth and tactics. More than just a raw difficulty increase, the mod aims to add interesting new choices in combat and expand class synergy. That said, even with some new items and spells care has been taken to ensure the game still “feels like FF”.
Along with the game you will find comprehensive charts and maps valuable to any new adventurer. Think of them as your guide like the original paper charts which came with the NES cartridge (except they’ll be correct!)
Some key overview features:
- Greater challenge & rewards from battles
- The Archer and Green Mage replace the original Black Belt and Red Mage
- Thief role greatly improved, Fighter role brought down to mere mortal status
- Graphics have received extensive improvements
- Ports have been removed - the SHIP can now dock at any shore
- Dirt Roads added near most towns, which help protect you from those random battles
- New (and familiar) items, spells & monsters
- Redesigned all useless items & spells
- New secrets
- Bonus patches allow for further gameplay customization
- New reactionary battle system - actors take their turns one at a time
- Weapons can have powerful elemental, creature or status effect bonuses
- Added Regeneration, a new status condition which recovers HP every turn
- Poison is stronger, works on monsters, displays damage, visuals & sound
- More monsters utilize spells, have more diverse & strategic spell scripts
- Extended spell names to 5 letters, spells also display icons showing their element
- Increased and added to the thematic presence of all eight magic elements
…and numerous bug fixes and quality of life improvements.
Notice to returning players:
- Version 2.2.2 adds a new optional patch that disables flashing colors during spellcasting. This should greatly aid players for whom this is too harsh an effect
- Always unequip party members on existing save files before updating to a newer version
- The password was changed in 2.04 to be more intuitive, based on the context it is received in
ROM / ISO Information:
- Database match: Final Fantasy (USA)
- Database: No-Intro: Nintendo Entertainment System (v. 20180803-121122)
- File SHA-1: 80CE108FBC066C985D4FB541BD68E9A7C8994FEB
- File CRC32: AB12ECE6
- ROM SHA-1: C9CFBF5455085E198DCE039298B083CD6FC88BCE
- ROM CRC32: CEBD2A31
|Contributor||Type of contribution||Listed credit|
|Jiggers||Hacking||Help w/ systems, assembly, insight and development|
User Review Information
Nice mostly subtle treatment for the classicReviewed By: Mindflower on 02 Jul 2020
So, first to review here as i just rocked through that thing.
The patch does not change the game in its entirety, so map, story, progression, towns, npcs, etc are all left untouched.
Some mechanics were modded, some bugs got a treatment, so no useless spells, etc.
Some small and mostly subtle changes were applied to the graphics, which for my liking rather enhanced the overall look.
Some palettes were also changed. No real opinion on that, but i liked the blue - orange Warlords.
The classes got changed a bit, fighter got buffed, thief on the other hand a bit nerfed, a ranger replaces the monk, and a green mage replaced red mage. and the two other mages, business as usual. Liked the green mage a lot.
So balancing is important especially for those kind of games. This is in my opinion where this hack shines. It adds an overall challenge to the game which is great for people who can walk through this game blind or are experienced rpg players in general. I opted for the bigger enemy encounter variant for some little extra struggle which made it a tad more tricky which i liked.
There were two little, but thoroughfully laid out extra areas here with some boni and few extra secret ways added to vanilla FF, which is good!
One suggestion though: Please add a convenience hack that enoubles buying potions stackwise. perhaps i have played this game too much but i can’t stand buying 99 potions before going in a dungeon piece by piece anymore. Tedious annoying hell. It is just a small hack i saw being applied in other hacks too, so this should be no problem.
All in all i can recommend this if you like a bit harder FF hacks (like FF++).
Version 2.02 Recommended - Yes
|Almost great, but far too punishing||PokeFaize||31 Jan 2023||2.2.2||No|
|New and Mostly Improved!||SuperBen||04 Sep 2022||2.2.1||Yes|
|Best FF1 Hack I've seen||retrohacknerd||02 Mar 2022||2.04||Yes|
|Really fun boost in challenge||Celdia||04 Oct 2020||2.02||Yes|
|Nice mostly subtle treatment for the classic||Mindflower||02 Jul 2020||2.02||Yes|