Sega Master System
|Released By||SMS Power!|
|Platform||Sega Master System|
|Patching Information||No Special Requirements|
|Game Date||20 December 1987|
|Release Date||25 May 2020|
|Last Modified||28 May 2020|
Phantasy Star is a role playing game for the Sega Master System, and the first in the Phantasy Star series. It’s also one of the earliest JRPGs, and considered a pioneer in the genre. It was critically acclaimed for its scope, lush graphics, animations, 3D dungeons (a first for JRPGs), and for its blend of science fiction and fantasy elements.
This patch retranslates the original Japanese game to give a whole host of improvements:
- More faithful to the original Japanese script
- Expanded script
- Expanded menus and item names
- Sound test and sound chip selection
- Built-in cheats to make the game a little less tough/slow
- Two custom fonts, with upper and lowercase letters
- Expanded save slot names and three additional save slots
- Fully compatible with old saves, the original cartridge (with ROM replacement) and of course for play on real hardware
This update also includes lots of script changes, faster scene changes, and bug fixes.
ROM / ISO Information:
- Database match: Phantasy Star (Japan)
- No-Intro: Master System (v. 20180825-190228)
- ROM SHA-1: C9A40DDD217C58DDDCD6B5C0FE66C3A50D3E68E4
- ROM CRC32: 6605D36A
User Review Information
The Pride of AlgolReviewed By: vivify93 on 28 Mar 2020
I got into the Phantasy Star series in 2012. Obviously, the retranslation was out by then, so that would be my first experience with the series. I could not have asked for a better one! I’ve since played the original localization, and was shocked at how many directions and story details were omitted, so kudos to SMS Power! for retaining them in the retranslation.
- Thanks to impressive hacking by z80gaiden and Maxim, dual line display for longer item names, as well as four lines per dialogue box.
- Expanded dialogue with much clarification thanks to Paul, Frank, and satsu.
- Intelligently written without seeming pretentious or inserting too many modern-day memes (Modern for 2008, at least).
- Retained beautiful FM sound synth.
- Ability to toggle between FM and PSG sound.
- Inconsistent terms (Shion vs. Scion, for example).
- Minor grammatical issues.
- PSG tracks sound different from, and at times more grating than, the international releases (This may not stem from the translation, however).
- No alternate patch utilizing international lore terms, e.g. Alis, Lassic (Not necessarily a bad thing, and I do commend SMS Power! for sticking to their vision).
This is overall recommended, if only for the fact that so long as you take notes, you don’t have to stumble about on a blind playthrough. It’s leagues beyond the official localization in many ways. This is the definitive Phantasy Star experience.
Version 1.02 Recommended - Yes
|The Pride of Algol||vivify93||28 Mar 2020||1.02||Yes|
|Don't even play the original translation anymore||Animation Guru||05 Mar 2012||N/A||Yes|
|Incredible!||obscurumlux01||25 Feb 2011||N/A||Yes|
|Why the game was retranslated||rlafonte||29 Jan 2009||N/A||Yes|