Sega Master System
|Released By||SMS Power!|
|Platform||Sega Master System|
|Patching Information||No Special Requirements|
|Game Date||20 December 1987|
|Release Date||20 December 2021|
|Last Modified||23 January 2022|
Phantasy Star is an role playing game for the Sega Master System.
This patch retranslates the original Japanese game to give a whole host of improvements:
- More faithful to the original Japanese script
- Expanded script
- Expanded menus and item names
- Sound test and sound chip selection
- Built-in cheats to make the game a little less tough/slow
- Two custom fonts, with upper and lowercase letters
- Expanded save slot names and three additional save slots
- Fully compatible with old saves, the original cartridge (with ROM replacement) and of course for play on real hardware
- Optional “original names” version with mostly original names for some characters, spells and items
This update includes wider dialogue boxes, bug fixes and groundwork for further translations.
ROM / ISO Information:
- Database match: Phantasy Star (Japan)
- No-Intro: Master System (v. 20180825-190228)
- ROM SHA-1: C9A40DDD217C58DDDCD6B5C0FE66C3A50D3E68E4
- ROM CRC32: 6605D36A
User Review Information
The Pride of Algol (Update for 2.00)Reviewed By: FlamePurge on 30 May 2020
I got into the Phantasy Star series in 2012. Obviously, the retranslation was out by then, so that would be my first experience with the series. I could not have asked for a better one! I’ve since played the original localization, and was shocked at how many directions and story details were omitted, so kudos to SMS Power! for retaining them in the retranslation.
Since then, Maxim has released v2.00, which incorporates many new and amazing features that can smooth out and update the classic experience.
- Expanded menus for longer item names, as well as four lines per dialogue box.
- Retranslation and relocalization, which retains all of the directions and hints from the Japanese original.
- Intelligently written without seeming pretentious or inserting any memes.
- Retained beautiful FM sound synth, featuring the ability to toggle between FM and PSG sound through the new Sound menu.
- New options to multiply walking speed, experience, meseta, and halve encounter rate.
- Choice to toggle between a questionable new font and Phantasy Star IV’s menu font.
- Incorporates my Brunette Alis mod as yet another option.
- I still think the new default font is butt-ugly. (Luckily you can change it ASAP and it saves to SRAM!)
- I disagree with the choice to rename spells.
This was the definitive Phantasy Star experience back in 2008, and in 2020, now more than ever that still rings true. It’s highly recommended, and I would even go so far as to recommend it over the Switch port. If you’ve never played Phantasy Star before, now is the time.
Version 2.00 Recommended - Yes
|Less translation and more fanfiction||Cerzel||31 Jul 2021||2.1||No|
|Considerably better than the original translation||cccmar||04 Jul 2022||2.1||Yes|
|Incredible QoL Changes||PentV||27 Sep 2020||2.00||Yes|
|Don't believe the claim of a "more faithful" translation.||SmashTheElder||11 Sep 2020||2.00||No|
|You must play 2.0!||KalasZX||21 Jul 2020||2.00||Yes|
|New 2.0 version||d0pefish||29 May 2020||2.00||Yes|
|The Pride of Algol (Update for 2.00)||FlamePurge||30 May 2020||2.00||Yes|
|Don't even play the original translation anymore||Animation Guru||05 Mar 2012||N/A||Yes|
|Incredible!||obscurumlux01||24 Feb 2011||N/A||Yes|
|Why the game was retranslated||rlafonte||29 Jan 2009||N/A||Yes|