FF6 - Brave New World
Hack of Final Fantasy III
FF6 - Brave New World
Hack of Final Fantasy III
|Released By||BTB, Synchysi|
|Patching Information||No-Header (SNES)|
|Hack Release Date||01 January 2020|
|Last Modified||11 January 2020|
What started out with my initial desire to properly case everyone’s names turned into a rather innocent discussion between a co-worker of mine and I about ways to improve/fix the original game, which in turn (somehow) became this.
FF6 - Brave New World is a fairly complete overhaul of Final Fantasy VI, featuring…
- Character-based esper restrictions & new stat boosts that promote greater diversity and allow for customized development.
- Esper leveling system that disassociates esper bonuses from traditional levels.
- New and reworked formulas which rescue everything that isn’t magic or magic evasion from the dump-stat heap.
- Rebalanced equipment, items, spells, and skills that aim to remove dead weight and give players more (and better) choices.
- A complete overhaul of enemies from their stats to their behavior to better challenge veteran players and newcomers alike.
- Tons of bugfixes, as well as remedies to many of the game’s more annoying aspects (such as rage hunting taking a lifetime).
- And much, much more, detailed in the Readme (particularly section 4).
One thing BNW is not is a difficulty mod. While it is harder than vanilla FF6, we wanted to keep it accessible to newcomers while at the same time giving veterans a new experience. Hopefully, we succeeded.
Curious about what other people are saying about BNW? Like the mod and want to let us know? Hate it and want to tell us how much we suck? Completely indifferent and just bored? Feel free to drop by what’s become the official forum for discussing BNW:
ROM / ISO Information:
- Final Fantasy III (USA) - NOINTRO
- CRC32: A27F1C7A
- MD5: E986575B98300F721CE27C180264D890
- SHA-1: 4F37E4274AC3B2EA1BEDB08AA149D8FC5BB676E7
- SHA-256: 0F51B4FCA41B7FD509E4B8F9D543151F68EFA5E97B08493E4B2A0C06F5D8D5E2
|Contributor||Type of contribution||Listed credit|
User Review Information
Challenging without being "hardtype", revised without being "different for the sake oReviewed By: SPennLUE on 10 Mar 2020
The new esper system is great. Limiting each character’s spell list and tweaking their stats towards a particular role makes for a little more potential for different strategies. And since esper level-up bonuses are not tied to your character’s level, you don’t “miss out” on level-up bonuses.
While the script is more or less the same, there are a few small tweaks here and there. The rewrites are somewhat meme-y, and the attempts to merge the SNES and GBA translations leave the tone a bit inconsistent, but there are also plenty of nice embellishments and corrections to be found in the revised script. Some equipment and attacks also been renamed, which I found very useful since a lot of items had similar names.
It’s definitely harder than FF6 (for what it’s worth, I beat the game with my party in the mid 30s), and not just because there’s isn’t much room to cheese it. What I initially thought of as a difficulty spike would soon be broken through with a new plan of attack, rather than a whole load of grinding (the main exception in my case being the dream world, so maybe don’t go there until near the end). Fortunately, the difficulty is somewhat offset by the new abilities and equipment, which would have been massively overpowered in the original FF6. Learning how and when to use them was actually kind of fun sometimes.
Overall: definitely recommended if you have played through the original game a few times, and are willing to unlearn some habits.
Version 2.0 Recommended - Yes
|Grindfest that requires you to play it as the developers intended.||MysticLord||09 Jan 2021||2.0||Yes|
|"not a difficulty hack" my left foot||IkeTATARI||09 Jan 2021||2.0||No|
|Misleading presentation of hack||xigix||02 Oct 2020||2.0||No|
|Really loved it until 2.0||Croixraoul1||01 Jul 2020||2.0||No|
|Challenging without being "hardtype", revised without being "different for the sake o||SPennLUE||10 Mar 2020||2.0||Yes|
|A great way to experience FFVI again!||Ok Impala!||27 Jul 2019||1.9.0||Yes|
|Definitely a Difficulty Mod||Phaxuji||12 Jan 2020||2.0||No|
|A fantastic mod, but the difficulty can be offputting||sarysa||23 Apr 2018||1.9.0||Yes|
|A good approach on character diversity||Xardas||08 Mar 2018||1.6.1||Yes|
|Lots of changes including save points||KFCTwister||18 Dec 2017||1.8.6||Yes|
|People who say this isn't a good mod like ultima.||Rotnflesh||16 May 2015||1.6.1||Yes|
|A Definitive FF6 Hack||magictrufflez||01 May 2015||1.6.1||Yes|
|This isn't a difficulty mod? Really?||oubliette||25 Mar 2015||1.6.0||No|