Super Metroid Redux
Hack of Super Metroid
Super Metroid Redux
Hack of Super Metroid
|Patching Information||No-Header (SNES)|
|Hack Release Date||11 March 2020|
|Last Modified||11 March 2020|
Super Metroid Redux is an improvement hack for Super Metroid, and a continuation of Super Metroid: GBA Style.
This hack aims to give Super Metroid a whole lot of improvements, being it graphical or in mechanics/gameplay, and address some of the annoyances from the original.
These are some of the changes that you can find in Super Metroid Redux:
- All of the improvements/changes made for Super Metroid: GBA Style are present here with a more refined touch, minus the mandatory Heavy Physics (which are now an optional patch). For more details on the full changelog from GBA Style which is included on Redux, visit GBA Style’s release page on RH.net.
- A lot of features from Project Base 0.7.3 have been implemented. (Like faster door transitions and speeds, instant Bomb explosion by holding Down on the D-Pad, Game time and Item percentage can now be seen in the Pause menu, etc).
- Normal and Hard mode can be toggled within the “Difficulty Settings” before selecting a save file (NOTE: The difficulty change can ONLY be enabled when starting a New Game, by Sylandro)
- Special Demo sequences that depict useful tricks and abilities (from SM Turbo)
- Message boxes can be skipped by pressing a button
- Screw Attack now destroys frozen enemies (by Adamf)
- X-Ray Visor range widened
- Unlock Tourian patch has been completely fixed, so it doesn’t play the Super Metroid eating the side-hopper cutscene every time you go through that room on Tourian. Now the game only plays that scene the first time you go through it, sets a correct flag, and the Super Metroid and its two adjacent rooms will play the normal Tourian theme AFTER the cutscene has already happened (shoutouts to Smiley, PJBoy and the people from the Metroid Construction Discord for the help)
- Charge Beam combos can be triggered by fully charging your beam with the beam of choice, and then pressing Select
- Crystal Flash is still enabled like in the original game
- Elevator Speed has been increased to double the speed of the original in Super Metroid
- MSU-1 playback integrated
- Missile Stations have now been changed to Recharge Stations. They now refill your entire weapons’ stack (Missiles, Super Missiles, Power Bombs) upon touching them with the message “Weapons Reload Completed.” (similar to Zero Mission / Fusion)
- Power Bombs reveal hidden tiles (like in Zero Mission / Fusion)
- Fanfare music for normal expansion tanks (Missiles, Super Missiles, Power Bombs, Energy and Reserve Tanks) now use a special SFX when grabbed which is shorter, to allow for a more fluid play session. Main items like beams, suits, and the first main Missile/Super Missile/Power Bomb items still play the long-normal fanfare (similar to Zero Mission / Fusion)
- Combined DC’s Map Patch with Scyzer’s Item Circles code to create a meticulously completely revamped Map system to be more in-line or similar to what is seen in both Zero Mission / Fusion. (Entrances, colour-coded doors, item circles/dots, etc).
- “Default X-Ray.ips”: Change the X-Ray Visor width to that of the original Super Metroid
- “Fixed Tourian Unlocked Doors.ips”: Makes it so that the Tourian doors now let you go back to Crateria normally. (NOTE: This patch is ALREADY implemented into main Redux, it was simply added it for archival purposes).
- “Heavy Physics.ips” (From GBA Style): This will make it so that Samus now lands faster and with more gravity to her, similar to that of the GBA Metroids (NOTE: This breaks the Demo sequences. In-game cutscenes and main gameplay still play out normally).
- “Original Elevator Speed.ips”: Restores the original Super Metroid elevator speeds
- “Save Stations Refill Everything.ips”: Save Stations will now refill both Energy and all Weapons (by Adamf)
- “Skip Ceres - Start In Zebes.ips”: Skip the Ceres Station sequence at the beginning, and start off directly on Planet Zebes’ Landing Site on New Game
Redux Widescreen Patch (Beta):
This is a special optional patch, developed by ocesse exclusively for Super Metroid Redux, based on his original Super Metroid Widescreen hack. The Widescreen patch should only be used with bsnes v10.2, as it goes alongside bsnes’ Widescreen feature. Here’s a preview of the Widescreen hack by ocesse: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4XqJ_f3ui_w
Keep in mind that this patch is currently in a beta stage, so if you encounter any bugs or glitches, make sure to let ocesse know on his YouTube channel.
Make sure that once you have your Super Metroid Redux ROM already patched (alongside whatever optional patches you desire), you apply the Widescreen .IPS file over your ROM, and that’s all that should be needed!
ROM / ISO Information:
- Database match: Super Metroid (Japan, USA) (En,Ja)
- Database: No-Intro: Super Nintendo Entertainment System (v. 20180813-062835)
- File/ROM SHA-1: DA957F0D63D14CB441D215462904C4FA8519C613
- File/ROM CRC32: D63ED5F8
|Contributor||Type of contribution||Listed credit|
|ShadowOne333||Hacking||Main hacking and project|
|begrimed||Original Hacking||Project Base|
|Kejardon||Original Hacking||Control Freak|
|SadiztykFish (Scyzer)||Original Hacking||Original Item Circles and Item Sounds codes|
|PHOSPHOTiDYL||Original Hacking||Item/Time Counters in Pause Menu and Others|
|sylandro||Original Hacking||Hard mode & Rewrite of Item Circles code|
|DC||Original Hacking||Original Map Patch for Super Metroid|
|PJBoy||Original Work||Super Metroid Disassembly|
|adamf||Original Hacking||Screw Attack Frozen Enemies and Save Refill codes|
|Smiley||Original Hacking||Help and debugging for Fixed Unlocked Tourian and New Item Circles code|
|Nodever2||Original Hacking||Help and debugging|
|samsamcmoi||Original Hacking||Super Metroid Turbo hack|
|ocesse||Original Hacking||Super Metroid Redux Widescreen patch|
|Dmit Ryaz||Graphics||Samus Redesigned original patch|
User Review Information
Definitive Super Metroid Improvement HackReviewed By: MattKimura on 29 Feb 2020
Hands down the best way to play Super Metroid in this day and age after countless playthroughs in the past. Also great for newcomers who never played this game before. It’s full of quality of life improvements that makes the game more convenient to play. I’ll never play the original Super Metroid ever again. This redux hack is a compilation of all the best improvements put into one patch. The author was kind enough to offer lots of optional patches to customize what you want. It’s things like this that shows that the creator cares a lot for the users. One of my favorite optional patches is the one that skips the intro sequence on Ceres station, it’s immensely helpful for replaying the game. Just keep in mind that there’s also a cheat code that does the same thing if you didn’t want to patch the rom permanently. Overall this hack is definitive, get it now and integrate it into your game collection.
I’m a fan of the author’s redux patches for several games. Anything with the name ShadowOne333 is worthy of an improvement hack and I highly recommend them. Like the Zelda ALTTP Redux hack for example.
Version 1.0 Recommended - Yes
|Utter Perfection||Haz||26 Feb 2021||1.2||Yes|
|Best way to play in 2020||eskimo44||26 Jul 2020||1.2||Yes|
|cannot play using keyboard||klaus||17 Jun 2020||1.2||No|
|A Higher Quality of Life||elecgnosis||21 Mar 2020||1.2||Yes|
|great hack for msu-1 or widescreen enthusiasts||Notthisguy||07 Mar 2020||1.0||Yes|
|Definitive Super Metroid Improvement Hack||MattKimura||29 Feb 2020||1.0||Yes|
|Fantastic Effort||G30FF||01 Mar 2020||1.0||Yes|