Final Fantasy IV - Ultima
Hack of Final Fantasy II
Final Fantasy IV - Ultima
Hack of Final Fantasy II
|Released By||8-bit fan|
|Patching Information||No-Header (SNES)|
|Patch Version||2022 rev13|
|Hack Release Date||24 June 2022|
|Last Modified||24 June 2022|
Final Fantasy IV - Ultima is a ‘deluxe’ version of Final Fantasy II for the SNES. This hack adds a bunch of additions to the base game while keeping the majority of the main story intact and the feel of FF2US the same.
List of features, additions and changes:
- Party Swapping among 11 different members at Endgame!!
- Dark Knight Cecil now available at endgame!!
- A Full-Featured Bestiary!! A Brand New Title Screen!
- A VERY Challenging BOSS RUSH Mode unlocked at endgame!!
- New Game+ mode with higher MAX level/stats!!
- 58 New Weapons! Including Magically Imbued Weapons!
- 62 New Spells/Summons! Also revamped existing spells!
- 38 New Bosses! Brand New Boss at Endgame with Randomized AI!
- New Achievements Feature at: https://retroachievements.org/game/1072
- New Status ‘Aura/Color’ for buffs/ailments during battle!!
- Damage Limit increased to 14999! Can turn Encounters On/Off!
- New Areas! New Side Quests! New and Upgradable Commands!!
- New Enemy Graphics! New Events! New Endgame Scenarios!
- New Equipment/Spell Menus with DETAILED info!!
- New attack/swing/spell animations!
- New weapon graphics!! New sound effects! New items!!
- New maps, new areas and new edits to overworld maps!
- New events! New enemies!! Sprint with the Y button!!
- New commands for characters. New Armors and Gears!
- Revamped shops/equipment and balanced their progression.
- Dark Knight Cecil now dual-wields and is 2-handed!!
- Edge is now buffed offensively! Can steal Rare items!
- Rydia has new summons!
- Cecil has been buffed as a tank.
- Rosa can use more combative gears and new spells.
- Kain has new offensive buffing spells.
- Yang, Edward, Palom, Porom and others have also been buffed!
- Lots of secrets that can lead to early acquirement of better equipment!
- Few minor tweaks to the base game such as save points, etc.
More guides and info at:
ROM / ISO Information:
- Final Fantasy II (U) [!] (v1.1).smc
- Version 1.1
- Unheadered (1,049,088 bytes)
- CRC-32: 23084FCD
- MD-5: 27D02A4F03E172E029C9B82AC3DB79F7
- SHA-1: 41A74EB369A7A91815529EF99AB1B20E20E2BDF3E26
|Contributor||Type of contribution||Listed credit|
|8-bit fan||Hacking||Hack Creator - Main Designer|
|chillyfeez||Hacking||Technical Producer - ASM work|
|Ace_Aileron||Script Editing/Revision||Additional dialogue/descriptions|
|Grimoire LD||Hacking||Critical Hit bug fix, Adamant Armor bug fix|
|Myself086||Hacking||Improved Sprint function|
|b0ardface||Hacking||Attack Power Overflow bug fix|
|Aexoden||Hacking||Various ASM work|
|Crow!||Hacking||Advanced Equipment Screen mod|
User Review Information
Ultima Edition is right!Reviewed By: Cronobolt on 30 Jun 2022
Where do we begin with this hack? Do I start with the cleaned up and sensible dialogue that only adds to the story and fills in gaps? Do I mention the part where character roles are expanded upon, allowing characters to shine in roles where they had barely minimal coverage without sacrificing their capabilities in their main roles? Or do I mention how this game has added so much new content, quality of life updates, and has breathed new life into a game almost 30 years old without sacrificing the heart of the gameplay?
This is one of the most solid hacks on this website I’ve seen. The creator has carefully weaved new elements of gameplay into this game in such a way that from first glance, you almost wouldn’t be able to tell that the game was modified. New weapons, new armor, new bosses, new spells, and they all fit in line with the game as a whole, without being overpowered, underpowered, or gamebreaking. Fun glitches are still left in as tools for speedrunning as well, should you desire to speedrun this hack while cleaning up the debilitating glitches, such as the one involving the critical hit bug.
The dialogue, again, is very cleaned up. There’s no awkwardness to the dialogue, and lines that were muddy or ambiguous have become straightforward and their intentions and information clear as day (Yet Edward is still a spoony bard. What else can you say about him?). As a result, the story feels much more cohesive without introducing external elements and tells the same tale from start to finish, the same one we all know and love, while updating information using newer renditions released by Square Enix.
And the content. There’s so many new minor twists to dungeons and other locations, and they start early. Very early! Don’t expect to burn down Mist without a fight! The hovercraft can go to many more places! New locations means new places to explore, more treasure, and new Nintendohard fights, should you choose to undertake them! And it all starts right when you control Cecil for the first time all the way through to steps before you fight Zeromus himself. This hack spans the entirety of the game, not just the intro or the end. Plus, nothing is useless anymore. There are upsides to letting people use different weapons. Ever wanted a Berserker Rosa? Elemental Edge not relegated to using just claws for the extra bit of damage? What about simply Cecil healing a little better? It’s all here, and it’s all tasteful.
v8 has just released, and I’ve started from v1. I can tell you from experience that this is a project filled with love by fans, for fans. Wanna re-experience FF2(4)? Play this hack. Want a challenge with new bosses that will smack you harder than ever before? Play this hack. Wanna just play a really good hack from this site? Play this hack. It’s just that good.