Booster the Eighth
Hack of Super Mario RPG: Legend of the Seven Stars
Booster the Eighth
|Released By||Minus Bros.|
|Patching Information||No-Header (SNES)|
|Hack Release Date||26 September 2016|
|Last Modified||12 December 2019|
“A relative of the Booster family, named Jean, has taken his father’s tower after his passing. Jean and his Snifits prepare as Mario enters his tower. Little does Mario realise, a queen named Silver is plotting domination over Mario’s world. Jean attempts to hide the plan but his Snifits reveal it out loud. In boredom, they order an XL Pizza, but lose the phone number to call it again. Meanwhile in Moleville, Silver assembles a squad of minions to take over the world. Her powers are weak… but, she is gathering strength to prepare for what seems like domination. Mario obtains an item called the Wonder Stone which allow him to access Silver’s hometown, 15 years ago. On his way to her lair, he encounters a mysterious person called Dark Doom. Dark Doom happens to be a retired fighting instructor, who taught kids to defend themselves. Mario takes him on and gets transported to “Hometown”. Put in the memories of Silver’s past, Mario finds that she was abused her whole life and fights off a squadron of Koopas as Silver. He also finds “Nightmare” and fights off the evil side of her. Mario meets one of Silver’s friends, Damon. He is being trained by Doom to help with fighting. Eventually, Mario finds Silver in the door of the Wonder Stone and finishes off the queen. Then, Jean comes in to wrap things up. Meeting again after a long time, Silver realises from Mario what it means to be a good person. Then they get together and Mario’s adventure comes to a close.”
—Changes Between Vanilla Game
Booster the Eighth offers a handful of new elements but also rehashes some old things.
- The starting areas are Booster Tower and Pass.
- More areas unlock if certain objectives are meet.
- Moleville contains the “Frog Disciple” shop and has the best equipment in the game.
- Booster’s Tower contains the starting equipment including the Masher, Zoom Shoes and a new item given by a Terrapin.
- The new characters mentioned above, play a huge role in the gameplay.
- Geno makes a cameo appearance.
- A lot of the songs are changed.
- Important characters have their own boss music.
- New mini-bosses are added.
- Bombs are normal items and are cheaper.
- Coal mines is shorter.
- Palettes of most areas are recoloured.
- The map takes place on the 3rd area, including 5 maps to explore.
- The game should take no longer than 2 hours.
- Mario’s palette is changed.
- A new golden enemy appears in Jean’s Tower.
- Some enemy palettes are modified.
- Snifit Senior is waiting for a new challenge in Booster Pass.
- Balancing has been modified.
- Some new dialogue.
- Other audio and NPC fixes.
- Equipment and shops have been modified a little.
—(This hack is apart of a mass-submission to RHDN of all Super Mario RPG hacks found on BoardII. These submissions are in hopes that people will begin to re-experience Super Mario RPG in new ways. Contact Yakibomb on RHDN or Discord for more info.)
This was submitted on behalf of the author, Minus Bros.)
ROM / ISO Information:
- Database match: Super Mario RPG - Legend of the Seven Stars (USA)
- Database: No-Intro: Super Nintendo Entertainment System (v. 20180813-062835)
- File/ROM SHA-1: A4F7539054C359FE3F360B0E6B72E394439FE9DF
- File/ROM CRC32: 1B8A0625
|Contributor||Type of contribution||Listed credit|
User Review Information
Cheap, unpolished and unfun.Reviewed By: Diddy64wii on 15 Dec 2019
Definitely a shining example of “How NOT to make a good RPG RomHack”. This hack is filled with a bunch of flaws :
- Most regular battles are piss easy, because enemies deal barely any damage.
- Most boss battles are completely broken, because most bosses can deal crazy amounts of damage.
- Graphics are dull and disgustingly bleak.
- The “”"”remixed”"”" themes sound awful.
- The writing is unfunny and cringe.
- Only Mario and Peach are playable (and Geno at the very end)…
- …and you can’t even play them simultaneously on the same battle. Because of that, fighting groups of enemies becomes very boring pretty fast.
- Most locals are just straight up lazily recycled with barely any edits.
If you reaaaally want to play it, just use a bunch of Game Genie codes. This hack cheats, so I recommend you to cheat back if you want to avoid frustration and many hours of boring grinding.
Version 1.01 Recommended - No
|Cheap, unpolished and unfun.||Diddy64wii||15 Dec 2019||1.01||No|