Arcana - Seal of Rimsala
Hack of Arcana
Arcana - Seal of Rimsala
Hack of Arcana
|Released By||Sarah Shinespark|
|Patching Information||No-Header (SNES)|
|Hack Release Date||28 November 2020|
|Last Modified||29 November 2020|
SOR is the definitive version of Arcana, a JRPG dungeon crawler by Hal Labs before they became famous for Kirby and Smash Bros. Please enjoy this modernized take on an underrated title =)
- Faster gameplay, redrawn maps, and a coherent story.
- Explore remodeled dungeons and search for new items!
- Overhauled weapons and armor
- Battle the SOR mascot, Mimic!
- Undoes 90’s Nintendo censorship
- One-page level-up screen; no more scrolling!
- New status screen with stat icons and monster bonuses!
- Tons of unused content debuting
- Easter eggs and bug fixes
- Hundreds of tiny tweaks
New to version 2.1:
- Gameplay: New anti-Human and Anti-Reptile equipment; balance changes
- Coding: Elemental and race bonuses can now be viewed in the Status screen!
- Graphics: New elemental icons!
- Script: Spell and equipment text rewritten for more flavor.
- Script: Attribute spells now show their element.
- Balance: Reverted barehanded damage to vanilla.
- Extras: Added a Monster list, Spell list, and Equipment list in PDF.
- Extras: Added vanilla lists for reference.
New to version alpha 13:
- Stability: Corrected a byte in the internal ROM header.
- Displayed version number in the Window Color menu.
ROM / ISO Information:
- Database match: Arcana (USA)
- Database: No-Intro: Super Nintendo Entertainment System (v. 20180813-062835)
- File/ROM SHA-1: 35D04611F815672D02104E174624F9610994B0B5
- File/ROM CRC32: C891B297
|Contributor||Type of contribution||Listed credit|
|RetGal||Graphics||He converted the stat icons to bytes, and customized the credits.|
User Review Information
The Definitive Way To Play Arcana (Card Master)Reviewed By: Apocalypse612 on 24 Nov 2019
This is far superior to the NTSC-U_C release in my opinion. Yes, there are some bugs and graphical glitches, but plenty of optimizations and improvements. The FASTROM patch that’s included is the most awesome, but the level-up overflow retention is nice too. With this FASTROM patch, the game progresses at a much faster, smoother pace.
The author has renamed several towns, enemies, and items. This includes a few main menu entries too, which are now FAR superior to what they were. A few of the treasure chest contents have been changed in Chapters 1 and 2. The encounter rate is also now about 35% lower than what is once was, which is nice.
Here’s a big one for me. The script has been improved. Before, it was poorly written and contained loads of Engrish. To make the game harder, the inventory limit has been decreased from 48 to 24 slots. Some might not like this, but I would say this is an improvement for an already somewhat easy game.
Now onto the things that some people may NOT like. A few of the main character names have been altered, like Ariel – Alan, Salah – Sarah, and Efrite – Ifrit to name a few, but to me these are most welcomed. Additionally, the author swapped the opening HAL logo music with an unused SFX found in the ROM (Grass Flute), and also changed the SFX when you rest at an Inn to the laugh of the final boss of the game.
There’s a number of minor bugs that I’ve brought to the authors attention, that may or may not see fixes in upcoming patch versions (at her discretion).
All and all, I highly suggest checking this out. You won’t regret it.
Version 1.0c Recommended - Yes
|Nice QoL upgrade, with one small caveat||Tristal||24 Apr 2021||2.1a13||Yes|
|Can't recommend this hack enough. Way superior to the original.||veeeeeeep||15 Dec 2020||2.1a13||Yes|
|Heading in the Right Direction||Phaxuji||02 Nov 2020||2.0g||Yes|
|Good hack of a good game.||firedropdl||13 Sep 2020||2.0g||Yes|
|Check this patch out immediately!||Cureless||02 Jul 2020||2.0g||Yes|
|The Definitive Way To Play Arcana (Card Master)||Apocalypse612||24 Nov 2019||1.0c||Yes|
|Solid improvements.||Old_gamer||21 Dec 2020||2.1a13||Yes|
|Awesome||GrammerPants||19 May 2019||1.0c||Yes|