Mega Man 3 Revamped
Hack of Mega Man 3
Mega Man 3 Revamped
Hack of Mega Man 3
|Patching Information||No Special Requirements|
|Genre||Action > Platformer|
|Hack Release Date||08 December 2019|
|Last Modified||08 December 2019|
Three years ago, a hack of Mega Man 3 called “Mega Man 3 Ultimate” was released by romhacker TheSkipper1995. It was meant to be a relatively simple hack built on top of KujaKiller’s “Mega Man 3 Improvement”, rebalancing some of the game’s level design and difficulty curve. At the time, the hack was considered satisfactory if a bit conservative in its changes to the base game.
Early this year, at the behest of fellow romhacker DangerDoodle, TheSkipper1995 was convinced to continue work on Mega Man 3 Ultimate with some simple graphical updates. Over the next several months, however, with the programming assistance of KujaKiller, DurfarC, and MartsINY, the project grew into something far more substantial than Mega Man 3 Ultimate. This is “Mega Man 3 Revamped!”
Mega Man 3 Revamped’s purpose is to be a highly polished and streamlined version of Mega Man 3 for people who may not have liked the original game due to its rushed, unpolished development.
- Liberal changes to level design to make more interesting and engaging use of enemies, hazards, and stage gimmicks; most notably longer Dr. Wily stages with over 40 screens of additional, challenging content!
- Improved utility to Hard Knuckle which can be aimed much faster, Needle Cannon which has a much faster auto-fire rate, and Gemini Laser which doubles its speed after ricocheting once!
- Significant added graphical detail to many stages and cutscenes including Top Man, Hard Man, Snake Man, Gemini Man, and Spark Man!
- Additional fixes to several stray bugs that went unnoticed in Mega Man 3 Improvement!
- A restructured story line that keeps Break Man’s secret hidden until the final act!
- Changes to boss hitboxes and a.i. to be both less frustrating and more challenging!
Version 1.1 Update:
- Updated bug fixes from Kuja Killer’s latest Improvement patch version 2.2.2
- Very minor tweaks to level design and damage value balancing based on feedback.
- Minor hitbox adjustments.
ROM / ISO Information:
- No-Intro Name: Mega Man 3 (USA)
- (No-Intro version 20130731-235630)
- File SHA-1: 53197445E137E47A73FD4876B87E288ED0FED5C6
- ROM SHA-1: 6780B3FCC547C013EE45AFAC6BB30C6FC6D8B46E
- File MD5: 75B924155CAFEE335C9EA7A01BFC8EFB
- File CRC32: 452D8089
- ROM MD5: 4A53B6F58067D62C9A43404FE835DD5C
- ROM CRC32: 603AAA57
|Contributor||Type of contribution||Listed credit|
User Review Information
A wonderful edition!Reviewed By: NARFNra on 07 Nov 2019
Normally, I’m a bit neutral on improvement type hacks - I appreciate them, but don’t take the time to try them myself. This one caught my eye, though, in particular for its mention that it expanded the fortress stages. Since those have always been one of MM3’s weaknesses and many hacks haven’t addressed it, I was drawn in my interest in that regard.
I’m pleased to state that the hack more than met my expectations! The gameplay changes are seamless enough that you could feel like this is what MM3 was really supposed to play like while simultaneously being well designed enemy gauntlet and platform rooms. The new and restored graphics help show just how bland some of MM3’s can be at times and in particular jazz up Top, Snake, Spark, and the Wily stages! The Gemini background planet is returned to us as well, of course.
Overall, this is just one of those hacks that’s a really nice one to play. It feels very professional and nice, and I was very surprised to see the addition of branching paths as well. I did slightly wish that Wily 4 was extended as well, but I know that doing so is pretty hard - it was mostly just because the expanded nature of Wily 1-3 gives the fortress a really strong character it was lacking in the original, and I loved it all the way through. The boss hitbox changes are noticeable - I could actually dodge the Devil Mk. 2, for instance, haha.
Overall, a brilliant hack, and one of the best revamp attempts I’ve seen! I definitely recommend this to anyone who wants to play 3 but has gotten tired of its flaws, or even to those who’ve never tried it before and would like a more complete experience!
Version 1.0 Recommended - Yes
|A fresh look at MM3||diablo666||21 Dec 2019||1.1||Yes|
|Fantastic Version - Detailed Breakdown||slider||13 Nov 2019||1.0||Yes|
|A wonderful edition!||NARFNra||07 Nov 2019||1.0||Yes|
|A fun twist on an old favourite||G30FF||28 Feb 2021||1.1||Yes|