A Link to the Past Redux
Hack of The Legend of Zelda: A Link to the Past
A Link to the Past Redux
|Patching Information||No-Header (SNES)|
|Hack Release Date||24 August 2022|
|Last Modified||24 August 2022|
“The Legend of Zelda: A Link to the Past Redux” is a fork of Conn & qwertymodo’s A Link to the Past DX hack that further modifies the game to include changes to accommodate the game into the overall franchise, as well as renaming stuff badly translated and making changes for characters with official artwork not matching with the sprites/palettes in-game.
- You can check the source code of the project at GitHub: A Link to the Past Redux GitHub Repository
This version aims to keep consistence with the overall franchise, along with converting some of the odd palette/sprite choices that didn’t match the original artwork of the game.
A Link to the Past Redux provides two main patches (either of which can be applied without the need of the other):
- New inventory GFX starting from version 7.0, which gives individual slots to every item, including one per each bottle and the shovel is handled as a separate and permanent item. Ocarina and Golden Bee names have been fixed manually for this too.
- New Retranslation patch, a companion to main Redux. This patch provides a completely new and unique retranslation of the game’s script provided by the Translation Quest team that is primarily faithful to the Japanese text. (NOTE: This is an independent patch and should NOT be patched over the main Redux patch, but all optional patches should be compatible with it.)
As for the main changes for Redux:
- Max consumables for Bombs and Arrows are now 60 for Bombs and 99 for Arrows (v7.0 and onwards)
- Change Link’s hair and hat to closely match his original artwork.
- Change Agahnim colours to match the original red robe and blue skin artwork.
- Changed Uncle’s sprite to match official artwork.
- Change the Flute’s name to Ocarina (I don’t know in what world that instrument is a flute). This includes in-game text and Credits name changed too.
- Change the Good Bee’s name to Golden Bee.
- Change Faerie to Fairy. This includes in-game text too.
- Change Pegasus Shoes to Pegasus Boots. This includes in-game text too.
- Change all the references of the “Wise Men” to “Sages”.
- Change the layout of the Ice Palace to that of the GBA port. No more going around the entire palace just to get to the next room. As of v2.0, the Ice Palace new layout has been fixed to have 3 movable blocks in the new section. There was one movable block unused in one other Dungeon layout found in Room 240. (Why was it there?)
- King of Hyrule now has a red outfit instead of green to match the rest of the franchise’s Kings of Hyrule (Like Daphnes Nohansen Hyrule from WW).
- Permanent Shovel, as well as being able to dig up items with it in the overworld.
- Skip the Title Screen sequence by pressing Start, you no longer have to wait until the Triforce and title screen finish their animation.
- For v5.0, the final bug (palette shared between green soldiers and King of Hyrule) has been fixed. Thanks to Conn for this!
- Uncensored changes have been included too, as well as restoring some unused content. These changes focus on restoring censored content from A Link to the Past (J) and unused content for both ROMs (U and J). Some of the new content includes:
- Star of David for the Eastern Palace restored (From the Japanese ROM)
- New custom hieroglyphs to mimic those of the Japanese release.
- Sanctuary doorway restored
- Skull Statues restored. They appear in the Skull Woods Dungeon.
- Unused Zora sign near Zora’s Domain entrance restored.
- First warp point has been relocated, it no longer drops you at the very beginning of the Death Mountain, but rather at the left side of the Heart Container you obtain after your first travel to the Dark World for convenience sake.
And for v7.5 and v8.0, thanks to RH user rainponcho, the bug with the Bunny palette and also the glitch with the LR Item switch for New GFX have been both fixed as well! Thank you so much, rainponcho!
Please refer to the A Link to the Past DX hack page by qwertymodo and Conn for more information on additional ASM changes over the original A Link to the Past (including L/R Item Switch).
Don’t like some of the new features? Or wish to change something that’s not included by default? Check the optional patches and customize your ROM as you see fit!
- Disable Dash Turning: Disable the Dash Turning feature, and use the Pegasus Boots like they worked originally in A Link to the Past.
- Enable FMV for MSU: This patch will enable the loading of the special FMV (Track 35) from the MSU files. (Please note that the hack itself ALREADY includes MSU-1 track loading, this patch simply enables the loading of that specific track #35 to avoid an issue with the game trying to always load the FMV, despite if the FMV itself exists or not in the same folder, which ends up in a 1~ minute black screen upon loading a new game.)
- Green Agahnim: Using this will revert the color of Agahnim from Red+Blue to his original Green robe from vanilla ALttP.
- Green Agahnim+Triforce Subtitle: Using this patch will revert the color of Agahnim from Red+Blue to his original Green robe, and also adds the new “TRIFORCE OF THE GODS” subtitle alongside it.
- Kakariko Shortcut: Adds a shortcut to the northwest of Link’s house and southwest of Hyrule Castle that adds a lift-able rock that grants rapid access to Kakariko Village once the player obtains the Titan’s Mitt. This shortcut is inspired by the same shortcut/change that was implemented in “A Link Between Worlds”.
- Mirror Works in Both Worlds: This patch allows the Mirror to travel from both the Light and Dark Worlds (Light - Dark & Dark - Light), making it so that Link can travel between them at will, instead of only being able to use the Mirror to travel from Dark - Light World.
- Move Blocks Indefinitely: Gives Link the ability to move blocks (that can be moved) several times.
- Original Pink Hair Link: This patch reverts Link’s new blonde hair to the original pink hair he had.
- Original Bomb-Arrows Amounts: This patch reverts Link default Bombs & Arrows minimum and maximum amounts to be those of the original ALttP, those being 10 to 50 for Bombs, and 30 to 70 for Arrows.
- Remove Low Health Beep: Completely remove the constant beeping that plays when you’re low on hearts.
- Start at Full Hearts: Makes Link spawn with a full set of hearts upon save load.
- Triforce of the Gods Subtitle: Using this will change the subtitle in the title screen from “A LINK TO THE PAST” to match the original Japanese subtitle of “TRIFORCE OF THE GODS”.
ROM / ISO Information:
- Database match: Legend of Zelda, The - A Link to the Past (USA)
- Database: No-Intro: Super Nintendo Entertainment System (v. 20210222-050638)
- File/ROM SHA-1: 6D4F10A8B10E10DBE624CB23CF03B88BB8252973
- File/ROM MD5: 608C22B8FF930C62DC2DE54BCD6EBA72
- File/ROM CRC32: 777AAC2F
|Contributor||Type of contribution||Listed credit|
|ShadowOne333||Hacking||Main Redux project and hacking|
|qwertymodo||Original Hacking||ALttP DX Original Creator|
|Conn||Original Hacking||ALttP DX Original Creator & New GFX|
|SCD||Original Hacking||Uncensoring contribution|
|Kazuto||Original Hacking||Zelda 3 Max Consumables Fix Hack|
|rainponcho||Hacking||Bunny palette & LR Item Switch for New GFX fixes|
|Chicken Knife||Script Editing/Revision||From Translation Quest, new Retranslation work based on the Japanese script|
|Dattebayo||Script Editing/Revision||From Translation Quest, new Retranslation work based on the Japanese script|
|nejimakipiyo||Script Editing/Revision||From Translation Quest, new Retranslation work based on the Japanese script|
|PowerPanda||Hacking||Kakariko Shortcut, Title Screen Skip, Shovel Treasures and Start at Full Hearts hacks|
User Review Information
My new "go-to" versionReviewed By: lightninghunter on 17 Aug 2018
This version is an improvement over the original game without changing anything too significant. The changes were all welcome, and I didn’t find anything game-breaking. Here are some pros and cons:
- Being able to get 99 arrows and 99 bombs max was surprisingly the best feature of this mod. I always hated that I had a surplus of Rupees near the end of the game and nothing to do with them. This feature means you still have a reason to keep picking up those Rupees! Of course, you don’t truly need 99 bombs and arrows, but the completionist side of me still loves this feature!
- The minor graphical changes work surprisingly well, especially the new colors on Agahnim.
- The L and R top button cycling through items was a good idea
- Being able to change direction while dashing was fun
- The new menu layout was nice; especially being able to keep the shovel and see all 4 bottles listed at the same time.
- Although the L & R item cycling is a good feature, it becomes useless near the end of the game when you have nearly 25 items in your collection. It takes too long to cycle through this many items, so I found myself just using the menu. I think it would be better to be able to assign L & R to items of your choice instead, but that might be too difficult to code (Really, I don’t think anyone would complain if L selected arrows, and R selected bombs).
- Being able to change direction while dashing is great, but it does make a few areas slightly easier, because you can now continuously dash through enemies without stopping, and usually without getting hurt.
The two cons on this list are minor nitpicks, really, and I would definitely recommend this hack to anyone!