A Link to the Past Redux
Hack of The Legend of Zelda: A Link to the Past
A Link to the Past Redux
|Patching Information||No-Header (SNES)|
|Hack Release Date||31 August 2021|
|Last Modified||31 August 2021|
“The Legend of Zelda: A Link to the Past Redux” is a fork of Conn & qwertymodo’s A Link to the Past DX hack that further modifies the game to include changes to accommodate the game into the overall franchise, as well as renaming stuff badly translated and making changes for characters with official artwork not matching with the sprites/palettes in-game.
This version aims to keep consistence with the overall franchise, along with converting some of the odd palette/sprite choices that didn’t match the original artwork of the game.
Some of the changes are:
- Change Link’s hair and hat to closely match his original artwork.
- Change Agahnim colours to match the original red robe and blue skin artwork.
- Changed Uncle’s sprite to match official artwork.
- Change the Flute’s name to Ocarina (I don’t know in what world that instrument is a flute). This includes in-game text and Credits name changed too.
- Change the Good Bee’s name to Golden Bee.
- Change Faerie to Fairy. This includes in-game text too.
- Change Pegasus Shoes to Pegasus Boots. This includes in-game text too.
- Change all the references of the “Wise Men” to “Sages”.
- Change the layout of the Ice Palace to that of the GBA port. No more going around the entire palace just to get to the next room!
- King of Hyrule now has a red outfit instead of green to match the rest of the franchise’s Kings of Hyrule (Like Daphnes Nohansen Hyrule from WW).
As of v2.0, the Ice Palace new layout has been fixed to have 3 movable blocks in the new section. There was one movable block unused in one other Dungeon layout found in Room 240. (Why was it there?)
For v5.0, the final bug (palette shared between green soldiers and King of Hyrule) has been fixed. Thanks to Conn for this!
Besides the previous changes mentioned, some uncensored changes have been included too, as well as restoring some unused content.
These changes focus on restoring censored content from A Link to the Past (J) and unused content for both ROMs (U and J). Some of the new content includes:
- Star of David for the Eastern Palace restored (From the Japanese ROM)
- New custom hieroglyphs to mimic those of the Japanese release.
- Sanctuary doorway restored
- Skull Statues restored. They appear in the Skull Woods Dungeon.
- Unused Zora sign near Zora’s Domain entrance restored.
- First warp point has been relocated, it no longer drops you at the very beginning of the Death Mountain, but rather at the left side of the Heart Container you obtain after your first travel to the Dark World for convenience sake.
Additionally, as of version 7.0, two more existing hacks have been implemented into Redux to up the experience:
- Max consumables for Bombs and Arrows are now 99.
- New inventory GFX (Optional patch), which gives individual slots to every item, including one per bottle and the shovel is handled as a separate item. Ocarina and Golden Bee names have been fixed manually for this release too.
And for v7.5 and v8.0, thanks to RH user rainponcho, the bug with the Bunny palette and also the glitch with the LR Item switch for New GFX have been both fixed as well! Thank you so much, rainponcho!
Please refer to the A Link to the Past DX hack page by qwertymodo and Conn for more information on additional ASM changes over the original A Link to the Past (including L/R Item Switch).
NOTE: There are two folders inside the ZIP. One called only “Redux” which is ALttP with the normal item menu and the new Item Switch with L/R buttons, and a second called “Redux New GFX” which is ALttP with the new inventory graphics. Choose the one which fits your liking, just don’t mix them up. There’s also an additional patch that reverts Link’s new blonde hair to his original pink one, for those nostalgic enough for that weird colour.
ROM / ISO Information:
- Legend of Zelda, The - A Link to the Past (USA).sfc
- CRC32: 777AAC2F
- MD5: 608C22B8FF930C62DC2DE54BCD6EBA72
- SHA-1: 6D4F10A8B10E10DBE624CB23CF03B88BB8252973
- SHA-256: 66871D66BE19AD2C34C927D6B14CD8EB6FC3181965B6E517CB361F7316009CFB
|Contributor||Type of contribution||Listed credit|
|Con||Original Hacking||ALttP DX Original Creator|
|qwertymodo||Original Hacking||ALttP DX Original Creator|
|SCD||Original Work||Uncensoring contribution|
|PuzzleDude||Original Hacking||24 item menu and additional hacks (Shovel)|
|Kazuto||Original Hacking||Zelda 3 Max Consumables Fix Hack|
|rainponcho||Hacking||Bunny palette & LR Item Switch for New GFX fixes|
|ShadowOne333||Hacking||New palettes, text, graphics and layouts.|
User Review Information
A Vastly Better ExperienceReviewed By: Shade Aurion on 08 Feb 2018
I’ve already finished the game with this hack before and am now doing a Let’s Play on it for DudeGoBack for those that would like to see it in action - [video]
After completing the game with this hack, you guys deserve a pat on the back. Well done. The recolors look great and natural and now I cannot imagine the game any other way. All the dialog changes make a lot more sense story-wise and are much more informative. The gameplay tweaks are great too. I certainly prefer the ability to change direction with the Pegasus BOOTS (not shoes lol) I love the revamped item screen and magic bar placement too and adding in the minor cut out content just enriches the world more.
My only major issue was with the MSU and getting it to work with this hack. I simply could not get the music working properly. I had it working but the game would freeze before or after creating a save file which was disappointing but the original soundtrack is amazing enough anyway so its only a minor gripe and nothing to blame on this hack, rather then another hack working in conjunction with this one.
[EDIT] ShadowOne333 contacted me and I had the file names incorrect. I still had ‘_msu’ at the end of each track and it just need -1,-2, etc after the rom filename. Also it works in the most recent release of SNES9x including on Retroarch. Make sure also not to install MSU over the top of this hack. I didn’t but others have and that creates problems.
I played it originally on the SNES Classic Mini via Retroarch wherein I did encounter a glitch though. The Wizrobe’s sprites were all messed up, everything else was fine.
[EDIT] This was fixed in v8.1
I’d say this is the best The Legend of Zelda III: A Link to the Past hack out there and overall gives a vastly better experience. If I had to rate this hack, i’d give it 9/10. I’d also say the ALttP Redux is the only way to play this game now, and it working via Retroarch on SNES Classic Mini is nice for modders making this game playable to a new generation of gamers to enjoy. I hope as many as possible apply this hack.
Version 8.1 Recommended - Yes
|This is the Way to do a Redux!||Ziko||20 Mar 2021||8.3||Yes|
|A great hack with just a bit but||dolmonm||01 Jun 2020||8.1||Yes|
|My new "go-to" version||lightninghunter||18 Aug 2018||8.1||Yes|
|A perfectly understated revision||Chicken Knife||05 Feb 2018||8.1||Yes|
|A Vastly Better Experience||Shade Aurion||08 Feb 2018||8.1||Yes|
|Simply fantastic||Truner||31 Aug 2017||8.0||Yes|
|A Link to the Past: Redefined for a Modern Generation||ShockwaveS08||28 May 2017||8.0 (New G||Yes|
|Cherry on top of the cake||Ballz||04 Feb 2017||6.1||Yes|
|Minor changes||puzzledude||30 Oct 2016||5.1||No|
|Great stuff||spiffy||04 Feb 2016||3.2||Yes|