Hack of The Legend of Zelda: Link's Awakening DX
|Patching Information||No Special Requirements|
|Hack Release Date||05 April 2013|
|Last Modified||06 November 2015|
This is essentially Master Quest for Link’s Awakening (DX). The dungeon maps are the same as in the original with different layouts, some minor modifications made to the overworld, some edited text for better or worse, and new uses for a few items not utilized in the original.
Apply the patch to a Link’s Awakening DX ROM and have at it.
Edit: v1.1 patch is here now. See the readme to know what has been changed.
06/12/13 update: v1.1 patch was mistakenly not implemented, but it’s here now.
ROM / ISO Information:
- File: Legend of Zelda, The - Link's Awakening DX (USA, Europe).gbc
- CRC32: 97822948
- MD5: 07C21147 93868250 42EFB4AD 31BB525F
- SHA1: D90AC17E 9BF17B6C 61624AD9 F05447BD B5EFC01A
|Contributor||Type of contribution||Listed credit|
User Review Information
A new and amazing take on an already fantastic game.Reviewed By: Tetrahedrus on 09 Aug 2013
In the beginning, it can be quite difficult to get around the forest as others have mentioned. Once I cleared that, I realized that it was nothing compared to what was to come. Enjoyment and frustration alike ensued.
Here are just a few of the things that I thought made Hard Awakening as good as it was:
- Though the overall shapes of the dungeons were the same as ever, the new room layouts were interesting and definitely changed things up.
- Some items were utilized in ways they never had to be in the original game, as Jeville promised.
- Finally! After all this time, the owl statues are USEFUL again! Obviously that’s only because this version was new to me, so after having beaten it once, I might not ever need to see them again, unless I forget something. Regardless, it’s a nice feeling to want to get the stone beaks again and to be told vital information.
Here are some criticisms I had:
- Dungeons 2 and 3 each had a certain room which was extremely difficult to get through. The ways of dealing with these rooms were certainly nothing seen in the original game, but they were just really frustrating.
- Eagle’s Tower was perhaps the most challenging dungeon, which was great, but a good amount of my time was spent trying to figure out how to progress after entering the third floor for the first time. I eventually figured it out by accident. An owl statue giving a slight hint would have been nice. Too nice maybe. Maybe it’s just one of those things which, if you give a little hint, you end up giving the whole thing away.
- Pothole Field was just sadistic, man.
But all in all, I definitely had a lot of fun with this hack. It’s so great to have a fresh new experience with a game I cherish so, so much.
Recommended - Yes
|Fresh take on the original||godulator||07 Jan 2018||1.1||Yes|
|A new and amazing take on an already fantastic game.||Tetrahedrus||09 Aug 2013||N/A||Yes|
|Excellent!||inthenameofDT||13 Jun 2013||N/A||Yes|
|Memory wipe||devdri||02 Apr 2013||N/A||Yes|
|Lack of Magic Powder - very difficult beginning.||JamesBond007||09 Mar 2013||N/A||No|
|A challenging breath of fresh air.||Prince Valmont||06 Mar 2013||N/A||Yes|