Hack of Tetris
Hack of Tetris
|Patching Information||No Special Requirements|
|Patch Version||Final V2|
|Hack Release Date||16 April 2013|
|Last Modified||16 February 2016|
This is a 2 player hack for the NES version of Tetris. In order to accomplish this, the ROM was converted from MMC1 to MMC3. The PRG was expanded to have 2 additional PRG banks.
Also, a custom bankswap routine was added since no bankswap was present in the original ROM. The following features were added:
- Enabled 2 player mode.
- Created custom controls for 2nd player on non & in-game screens.
- Created custom designs for A/B-Type 2 player mode.
- Created asm to allow 2nd player to have stats shown on in-game screen.
- Player 2 has the ability to write their name into the scoreboard.
- Added a new gameplay feature to the B-Type Mode. In B-Type mode, in order to win 25 lines must be cleared. There is now the ability to choose how many lines to clear. There is a choice from 01-80 lines to clear.
- Player 2 now has the ability to obtain their own game piece, no longer sharing/stealing from player 1.
- Player 2 now has a proper NEXT piece box, along with working select button to enable/disable display.
- Player 2 now has the ability to select an additional +10 levels from what they choose from A/B-Type (player 1 can hold the A button down when they have level 0-9 highlighted, and when they press start with A button held, the player will start +10 levels from what was selected. Player 2 can also do the same thing. However, this can only be done while player 2 holds down the B button. When player 1 presses start, player 2 needs to have the B button held down in order to get the +10 level).
The archive also includes a .sav file for those who own a powerpak for the NES.
ROM / ISO Information:
- CRC32: 110A9ADD
- MD5: 5C4AB6B03431F7298B19BCAB58E858F0
- SHA-1: 865849AA2064AB38A5959116E697EBBFDA9F4795
- SHA-256: A470D8CF85E7C9A32073EF56EE80963BE3D339BA7E36DBDF1EE30FDF09B09211
|Contributor||Type of contribution||Listed credit|
User Review Information
Nice HackReviewed By: MathUser2929 on 29 Nov 2012
This is a nice Tetris hack. It does what it sets out to do, make Tetris NES (Nintendo) multiplayer compatible. It seems that all that is needed for a proper 2 player experience is there such as separate Next piece boxes. It makes the Nintendo NES port more the game it should have been. Why Nintendo left out a 2 player mode in the NES port I’ll never know. Reccomended.
Recommended - Yes
|Awesome, but...||AgentCPU0||09 Feb 2019||Final V2||Yes|
|Huge improvement over retail version, but still missing garbage block attacks||I am Christina Aguilera||02 Oct 2016||Final V2||Yes|
|Nice Hack||MathUser2929||29 Nov 2012||N/A||Yes|