Hack of Super Mario Bros.
Hack of Super Mario Bros.
|Patching Information||No Special Requirements|
|Genre||Action > Platformer|
|Hack Release Date||15 October 2023|
|Last Modified||15 October 2023|
- Cloud level bugfix
- Music test text fix
V1.0 — A sci-fi themed hack consisting of 4 worlds with 16 levels in total. Mario has been erroneously teleported to an alien planet and needs to find his spaceship to get back home. The hack is of medium-hard difficulty and is mostly recommended to people who have already mastered the original SMB1. Some levels require you to go into the right pipe, walk through the right door, or hit the right vine to finish.
The concept for this hack dates to June 2017. Initially being nothing more than a graphical test created by Patty, it was reworked to be a proper hack starting in the Summer of 2020. In 2023 it received a massive upgrade in its music and coding, courtesy of StudsX. Most of the levels were done by Patty, with tweaks done by StudsX and Eden GT. 1-4 was designed by StudsX.
- 1-1 - Arrival at the Planet
- 1-2 - Under the Surface
- 1-3 - Island Hopping
- 1-4 - The First Lair
- 2-1 - Waterfront Stronghold
- 2-2 - Waterfront Cave
- 2-3 - Starry Paradise
- 2-4 - Firebar Fortress
- 3-1 - Amethyst Ice Cave
- 3-2 - Abandoned Underworld
- 3-3 - Pink Velvet
- 3-4 - Convoluted Citadel
- 4-1 - In the Pink of the Night
- 4-2 - Night-Time Madness
- 4-3 - Heavenly Stronghold
- 4-4 - Maze of Freedom
ROM / ISO Information:
- Database match: Super Mario Bros. (World)
- Database: No-Intro: Nintendo Entertainment System (v. 20210216-231042)
- File SHA-1: EA343F4E445A9050D4B4FBAC2C77D0693B1D0922
- File CRC32: 3337EC46
- ROM SHA-1: FACEE9C577A5262DBE33AC4930BB0B58C8C037F7
- ROM CRC32: D445F698
|Contributor||Type of contribution||Listed credit|
|Peppermint Patty||Hacking||Director, Level Design, Logo, Graphics|
|StudsX||Hacking||Director, Level Design, ASM, Music|
|Eden GT||Design||Title Screen Design, Secret Level Designer (post-game)|
User Review Information
A challenging yet rewarding experienceReviewed By: e20norr on 01 Oct 2023
Visually stunning graphics, great music and some pretty good level design. Few hacks pay this much attention to detail.
In short, this is a solid hack that’s easy to recommend if you’re up for the challenge. I can barely get past 1-2 yet, but I can definitely see myself putting in some serious practice to try to beat this one. It’s that good.
By the way, here are two minor suggestions:
- Avoid inconsistent spelling. The main menu says “music test”, while it’s referred to as “soundtest” in the music test menu. Please stick to only one of these phrases. Also, “soundtest” should be spelt “sound test”.
- It would be cool to have a new coin-collecting animation when jumping into boxes with coins that align with the new square coins. Right now, the animation is for the old, round coins. However, this would also require the coin icon on-screen to change accordingly.
Version 1.0 Recommended - Yes
|A challenging yet rewarding experience||e20norr||01 Oct 2023||1.0||Yes|
|"Mario's unique adventure in a new world"||diablo666||28 Sep 2023||1.0||Yes|