Deep Dungeon: Madou Senki
Family Computer Disk System
Deep Dungeon: The Heretic War
|Released By||KingMike's Translations|
|Platform||Family Computer Disk System|
|Patching Information||No Special Requirements|
|Published By||Hummingbird Soft|
|Game Date||19 December 1986|
|Release Date||15 April 2006|
|Last Modified||31 October 2017|
Deep Dungeon: Madou Senki is an role playing game for the Family Computer Disk System.
This translation is complete. It requires usage of the FDS Disk Image Expansion program before patching. Details are in the readme.
Note that the expansion program and the patch expects a 16-byte fwNES header (total image size 131,016 bytes). If your copy of the original disk image lacks the header (image 131,000 bytes), download the updated version of FDS Expander from RHDN, or add a 16-byte header manually with a hex editor. (the 16 bytes to be added at the beginning of the file: “FDS”,0×1A,2 and pad the rest with zeros.
ROM / ISO Information:
- Deep Dungeon - Madou Senki (Japan) [b].fds - NOINTRO
- CRC32: ED9011D0 (Headerless)
- MD5: F225FF5CEE9CAF322B52DCCAFE81D543
- SHA-1: 7D4228248E749F5AA9AE6F695A8175D80D3D5250
- SHA-256: A2AD6BCEBC5EA07406BDBEEB2DAAA4A49F6D72E23E915C5AD750B38A8B751B9A
- PATCHED CRC: 29F8CF56
- Headered version of this rom is 5D0FCEA2.
- DO NOT run the diskexpander patch on a rom with a header (5D0FCEA2)!!!!. I don't know what it is doing, but I ran it twice, once telling it to add a header and telling it not to add a header. Both times I let it run for about 5 minutes and the rom it was creating was over 15MB.
- Run it on the Headerless version (ED9011D0) given on the patch page and tell it to add a header. You should now have a headered rom with CRC: F84CAE2C. When you have this output, then run the IPS patch on it to get 29F8CF56.
- If you can't find the headerless version you need to remove the header below with a hex editor before using diskexpand.exe and patching the rom.
- Header: 46 44 53 1A 02 00 00 00 00 00 00 00 00 00 00 00
User Review Information
An obscure milestone in Dungeon Crawl Role-Playing GamesReviewed By: Abacos on 23 Sep 2023
I created my own database of translated role-playing games for the NES, listing trnslation upload date and total number of downloads. Then I calculted the ratio “downloads per day since first upload”, or “current popularity” for short. I was sad to find out that the “Deep Dungeon 1″ translation is among the least popular on ROMhacking. I played it to the end, and I really enjoyed it.
The game has an historical value. Every “retro role-player” like me knows that Wizardry (for the USA) and Black Onyx (made by an American in Japan) are the founders of the dungeon crawl sub-genre. Deep Dungeon is the first dungeon crawl that is 100% Japanese, and the first one on a Nintendo console. Plus, if you use the correct emulator, you can transfer your character to Deep Dungeon 2; this was a common feature on computer role-playing games, but it is another first (an maybe unique) for consoles.
The translation is well done. I remember no grammar errors and I never felt that the author was limited by space. Therefore, apply the patch and play it!
Version 1.0 Recommended - Yes
|An obscure milestone in Dungeon Crawl Role-Playing Games||Abacos||23 Sep 2023||1.0||Yes|