Hack of Lufia II: Rise of the Sinistrals
Hack of Lufia II: Rise of the Sinistrals
|Patching Information||Header (SNES)|
|Hack Release Date||31 May 2023|
|Last Modified||31 May 2023|
Based off of Frue Lufia, Spekkio Lufia is a battle rebalancing mod that aims to supply more of a challenge while lessening problems in the retail release’s game design. Not only are bosses rebalanced, but certain regular enemies are too. The Ancient Cave also received some tweaks. Enemies of later floors drop more useful rewards, you can buy Blue Chest items in Gift Mode—which is available from the first time you launch the game—and Iris Treasures appear more frequently.
The important updated bosses are as follows.
1. The Sinistrals in the Fortress of Doom are stronger, more befitting final bosses. Also starting with the Revenge Ghost the late game bosses are generally revamped. (In case you have some trouble towards the end, how about talking to some of the more important NPCs all over the world?)
2. The Master can fully heal himself every round. How can you possibly bring him down? There must be some way…
3. The Egg Dragon, who named the patch. He now behaves like Spekkio in Chrono Trigger, his battle script changing based on the highest-leveled party member.
4. La Puella, the beloved pet giant tarantula of the Princess of Parcelyte. She can be fought anytime after defeating Gades in the Ancient Tower. Do you stand a chance against La Puella and all of her fuzzy friends?
Check the Notable_Changes_Spekkio text file for detailed changes. To aid your survival, included are a bestiary, and a list of equipment that have always provided protection against status ailments.
Apply to a headered NTSC-U Lufia II ROM. NTSC-U ROMs have the Natsume logo at startup, not the Nintendo logo.
ROM / ISO Information:
- Lufia II - Rise of the Sinistrals (U) [!].smc
- Size: 2.50 MB (2,621,952 bytes)
- SHA1: 8B2CB09B1A0122027FB3863974D0728E53FE8B69
- MD5: D35FCF90C273D4BC12EED59120954E58
- CRC32: 2FAEBB78
- Apply only to a headered ROM
|Contributor||Type of contribution||Listed credit|
User Review Information
I guess if you're a masochist, you might enjoy thisReviewed By: Zorlock Darksoul on 30 Mar 2023
I was having a good deal of fun with this until the last 10-15% of the game. At the start, I was appreciating the updated translations and the slightly tougher encounters. It was challenging but fair. Then the difficulty skyrocketed, and my enjoyment plummeted just as much. It stopped being “challenging but fair” and instead became just plain trollish.
The battle against Amon in the Spirit Shrine completely ruined the experience for me. Yes, I’m aware that winning the fight is optional. But I was expecting something on par with the first encounter with Gades, where winning is just a matter of being able to survive his attacks. The nonsense Amon hurls at you is completely ridiculous. It’s not that he causes too much damage; I was able to handle that. The problem is in actually damaging HIM.
His Chaos Wave reverses the effects of attacks and healing on him. That is, all forms of attack recover his HP, and healing causes him harm. You might think, “Okay, so just throw a bunch of Champion spells at him until he falls, right?” Sure, if you want to be at it for an hour or so. A Champion spell from Selan was causing 50 damage. A Valor spell did 150. Amon has 10000 HP, according to the bestiary that comes with the patch. You might eventually be able to whittle him down, but only if you can overcome the healing he gets when your confused allies attack and give him back 600+ HP.
It quickly became a tedious proposition to try to win the fight, and I stopped playing then and there. If the healing spells didn’t have a greatly diminished effect, I would have considered it a neat twist. But if this is the sort of thing the author believes makes for a fun challenge, I don’t want to see the rest.
Version 6.0 Recommended - No
|I guess if you're a masochist, you might enjoy this||Zorlock Darksoul||30 Mar 2023||6.0||No|
|Fun and Refreshing Until the End||GunarmDyne||17 Sep 2020||4.9||No|