Super Mario RPG: Relocalized
Hack of Super Mario RPG: Legend of the Seven Stars
Super Mario RPG: Relocalized
|Patching Information||No-Header (SNES)|
|Hack Release Date||23 April 2023|
|Last Modified||23 April 2023|
This patch is the result of an entire year’s worth of reviewing and rewriting the entirety of Super Mario RPG’s script in order to achieve an overall more accurate translation of the Japanese script. Every item, attack, monster and dialog box has been compared to its Japanese equivalent, and while not every aspect of Ted Woolsey’s script has been excised, the author estimates only about 10% of the game’s text has been left totally untouched. Even in situations where the official translation was deemed adequate, it was not uncommon for grammatical or formatting-based edits to occur. The result is a translation that attempts to reflect how the official translation would have looked if Woolsey’s script was reviewed and heavily revised by an editor back in 1996. Changes include:
- Enemy and character names changed to reflect pre-established localizations. (This includes changing Princess Toadstool to Princess Peach, as Yoshi’s Safari, which referred to her as such, released in 1993.)
- Item names changed to reflect either a more accurate translation, consistency with Paper Mario and/or consistency with official artwork.
- Location names changed to reflect a more accurate translation, with one exception, which instead reflects consistency with Paper Mario.
- In-game dialog heavily reviewed and rewritten, using Japanese dialog translated by hand using online dictionaries, Tomato’s livestream and website, and occasional feedback from nejimakipiyo.
A full list of name changes for characters, items, monsters and locations can be found in the readme.
This hack was made possible by giangurgolo & Omega’s Lazy Shell editor. No header required for patching.
ROM / ISO Information:
- Database match: Super Mario RPG - Legend of the Seven Stars (USA)
- Database: No-Intro: Super Nintendo Entertainment System (v. 20210222-050638)
- File/ROM SHA-1: A4F7539054C359FE3F360B0E6B72E394439FE9DF
- File/ROM CRC32: 1B8A0625
|Contributor||Type of contribution||Listed credit|
User Review Information
Now this is gangstaReviewed By: Googie on 27 Mar 2023
From the little bit I played I already love this, everything is done professionally great! I’m gonna get back into playing more of this in the future, if you’re a fan of Super Mario RPG, definitely give this a spin as soon as possible, you won’t regret it.
And to add extra flavor it’s compatible with the JPN/PAL Button Colors hack. Just patch the button colors hack first.
Hey CoolCatBomberMan, if you’re read my review can you so me a solid and add an optional patch to put in Bowser’s Japanese pose? I’d really appreciate it if you can hook it up.
Great job on getting this done for us, thanks Bro. :D
Version 1.3 Recommended - Yes
|The ONLY way to play smrpg||Eligames2009||21 May 2023||1.5||Yes|
|Consistent with Mario & Mario RPG Lore, Highly Recommended||nejimakipiyo||20 May 2023||1.5||Yes|
|Nice but unnecessary||CreamyPeach||15 Apr 2023||1.3||No|
|Now this is gangsta||Googie||27 Mar 2023||1.3||Yes|
|Mixed impressions||Chicken Knife||26 Mar 2023||1.3||Yes|
|Great Hack! Just need the names changed list||Tehppyd||21 Mar 2023||1.2||Yes|
|Great work! But where'd "Xeno" come from?||jonespianist||20 Mar 2023||1.0||Yes|