JobexiMod - SMB
Hack of Super Mario Bros.
JobexiMod - SMB
Hack of Super Mario Bros.
|Patching Information||Requires Custom Patcher|
|Genre||Action > Platformer|
|Hack Release Date||11 January 2022|
|Last Modified||22 January 2022|
!! IMPORTANT !! This is a Meta-Hack. It can be applied to some Rom Hacks that other Authors have developed, and modify their hack. Please read the instructions to avoid any sadness and confusion on your part (or mine).
Flips patcher will successfully patch the base game, but use Marc Robledo’s online patcher to patch other hacks. You can ignore the “File Checksum” Warning, and patch anyway. Link: https://www.marcrobledo.com/RomPatcher.js/
This Mod was intended to be a Meta-Mod. It can successfully patch a Base Super Mario Brothers file, however, the primary intention was to design a patch that would be able to modify any existing SMB Rom Hack, by any other author. This effort was a partial success.
- JobexiMod should be compatible with any SMB Rom Hack that modifies Graphics, Levels, Text, Music, or any combination of those.
- JobexiMod will very probably be incompatible with any SMB Rom Hack that modifies any game engine code. (But you’re welcome to try)
What does JobexiMod Do, and How should it be used?
First, choose a rom file. If you’re playing Basic SMB, patch it, and you’re good to go. If you’d like to play a remix of another Author’s Rom Hack, patch SMB with THEIR patch first. Then patch the result with JobexiMod.
JobexiMod features 23 Modes of Play. (Modes 1 to N) Each of these modes is a different deterministic (non-random) pattern for shuffling the layout of each level.
Press Select on the title screen to advance through the various Modes.
- Mode 1 does NOT modify any level layouts. It plays (almost) exactly like the base game: Uninteresting, but included for completeness’ sake.
- Modes 2 and 3 offer two simple patterns where each map page repeats, but the enemies appear in different orders.
- Modes 4 to 8 offer patterns involving Repeating map portions and Skipped map portions.
- Modes 9 to N are complex, and offer several interesting ways to experience the game.
- My favorite patterns are 8, E, H, and N.
General Notes/Bug-type “Features”
- Player 2 has been deleted to make space for the mod. (Sorry!)
- Both quests are available for play.
- Sometimes the “skipped” portion of the map includes the flagpole. I’ve included an emergency -flagpole feature that will spawn if you’ve not found one for 48 pages.
- Sometimes the game will stop scrolling the screen in the middle of a level. If this happens, wait approximately 10 in-game seconds, and the screen will unlock.
- Pipes choose a location based on what page the game thinks we’re on. My mod breaks that. Pipes take you wherever they want.
- Lakitu can sometimes spawn more than once. I’ve seen up to four at the same time.
- Occasionally the spring-stand will load without the spring. This is a glitch shipped with the original title.
- After touching a flagpole, Mario is immune until the level ends. This immunity does not extend to hammers. If a hammer touches Mario while the timer is counting down, it will trigger “Time Over”
- Sometimes piranha plants can exist without their associated pipes. They are sometimes invisible, but still corporeal.
- Sometimes Bullet Bill Cannons can exist invisibly and incorporeally, but nevertheless shoot Bullet Bills.
- Congratulatory text at the end of castles does not always trigger.
- Skilled wall-jumping may be required to access or complete some levels.
Level Notes (For Base Game Only, Other Hacks will obviously have other layouts)
- -1 Crashes the game, lol.
- 0-1 Often Impassable (If you can get there, lol.)
- 1-3 Often impassable. A completely empty page with no floor wrecks this mod.
- 4-1 is highly anomalous, but shouldn’t crash.
- 5-3 See 1-3
- 6-1 Sometimes triggers a return to the title screen. Moving slowly through a certain page may fix this
- 6-3 Sometimes Crashes, Also, See 1-3
- 7-3 Occasionally triggers an automatic return to the title screen.
- 7-4 Sometimes uses an Emergency Flagpole, 7-8 is when the next axe appears to advance the world.
- 8-1 Occasionally has a flagpole comically close to the entrance.
- 8-4 Underwater Section Occasionally overflows into Game Code, which will crash the game. Also, Occasionally triggers an automatic return to the title screen.
- 8-5 In many cases, 8-4 requires an Emergency Flagpole. Many patterns end their run on this stage.
ROM / ISO Information:
- Database match: Super Mario Bros. (World)
- Database: No-Intro: Nintendo Entertainment System (v. 20210216-231042)
- File SHA-1: EA343F4E445A9050D4B4FBAC2C77D0693B1D0922
- File CRC32: 3337EC46
- ROM SHA-1: FACEE9C577A5262DBE33AC4930BB0B58C8C037F7
- ROM CRC32: D445F698
|Contributor||Type of contribution||Listed credit|
|Joshua Boruch||Original Hacking|