Hack of Secret of Mana
Hack of Secret of Mana
|Patching Information||No-Header (SNES)|
|Hack Release Date||30 June 2018|
|Last Modified||01 July 2018|
This patch makes it possible to get the Luna elemental as soon as you can reach Karon’s ferry.
- You will no longer be denied access to ride Karon’s ferry under any circumstances. The original game denied you access to ride until after you got Lumina. This patch disables that check.
- The Crystal Orb in the Moon Palace will now be activated by Thunderbolt instead of Lucent Beam.
- These changes also have the side effect of making the Upper Land Crystal Orb require Thunderbolt instead of Air Blast.
- This patch does not require you to get Luna early. It merely allows you to. You can still get Luna in the original sequence if you like.
- This patch is compatible with the Variable Width Font hack, but only if VWF is applied before this hack.
- This patch must be applied to an unheadered ROM. If you have a headered ROM, remove the header first using SNES ROM Utility: http://www.romhacking.net/utilities/593/
With this hack applied, in a normal playthrough you can now get Luna as soon as you get Flammie. This allows getting Luna before Shade or Lumina.
Or you could get Luna even earlier if you’re willing to exploit a minor game bug. You can visit the Moon Palace as early as your first visit to Kakkara if you follow these steps:
1. From Kakkara town, go two screens south, then two screens right.
2. You’ll be in a desert screen very close to the Sea of Wonders as you can tell by the stars all over the ground.
3. If you look at the top of the screen, you’ll notice another pathway going north, but you can’t reach it because your characters are blocked by the darkened pit of sand in front of it. That’s because Square didn’t want you to be able to get to Karon’s ferry before you get Flammie.
4. You can blow past this obstacle by charging up a weapon and releasing it while facing north. Charging the glove to level 2 seems to work best. Your other characters will be stuck, but you can just walk up to the next screen and they will catch up with you.
Doing that allows getting Luna before Salamando, Shade, or Lumina.
Full technical changes to the ROM in this patch are specified in the README.
ROM / ISO Information:
- Secret of Mana (USA).sfc - NOINTRO
- CRC32: D0176B24
- MD5: 10A894199A9ADC50FF88815FD9853E19
- SHA-1: 8133041A363E3CC68CEDEF40B49B6D20D03C505D
- SHA-256: 4C15013131351E694E05F22E38BB1B3E4031DEDAC77EC75ABECEBE8520D82D5F
|Contributor||Type of contribution||Listed credit|