News: 11 March 2016 - Forum Rules
Current Moderators - DarkSol, KingMike, MathOnNapkins, Azkadellia, Danke

Author Topic: ROM Hacks: Final Fantasy VI Hardtype Released!  (Read 14909 times)

RHDNBot

ROM Hacks: Final Fantasy VI Hardtype Released!
« on: December 17, 2009, 03:14:43 pm »

Update By: Eternal248

For those of you who felt that Final Fantasy VI (known as Final Fantasy III outside of Japan) was too easy, Final Fantasy VI Hardtype is for you!

Final Fantasy VI Hardtype is basically a rebalancing and difficulty hack that also includes a variety of glitch fixes. This includes the Vanish/Doom Fix and Genji Glove Fix amongst others.

This is purely a gameplay hack. The story has not been changed!

A few of the major changes are enemy AI, and Espers. Enemies actually use intelligent and more powerful attacks more often. Enemies can be tough. Who knew?

Some espers now teach different spells- and a new spell has been added: Blind- which is learnable from Ramuh.

Even if you're not a huge fan of Final Fantasy VI, it's worth checking Hardtype out just to see the wide variety of changes made to enemies.

Try and beat the Dragons and Omega- they're now true superbosses!

RHDN Project Page

Relevant Link: (http://www.romhacking.net/hacks/617/)

Eternal248

• Forever in a reverie...
    • View Profile
    • FFHacktics
Re: ROM Hacks: Final Fantasy VI Hardtype Released!
« Reply #1 on: December 17, 2009, 08:38:57 pm »
A note to people who get to the Cranes: I fear they may be impossible to defeat, however, I don't have a file near that point so I can't go back and test it. If anyone gets to the Cranes and they're unbeatable- please- let me know. I intend to change them in the next update which may be soon.
I know something of cages.

Lilinda

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: December 18, 2009, 08:28:57 am »
I could speed up to that point easy. what makes them so tough? Just too high stats/incredibly damaging attacks?
Retired moderator/staff member as of July 14th 2016

Eternal248

• View Profile
    • FFHacktics
« Reply #3 on: December 18, 2009, 01:31:32 pm »
Well, I fear it's because I gave one of the Cranes (the one on the right) the ability to Raise.

I wanted to give them the ability to work together, but apparently they work together a little too well. I'd be much appreciated if you could try it out, and I apologize in advance for this- I had thought that I had taken care of these Cranes a long time ago.

EDIT: From what I've been told by one of my testers, the problem is that even when the Crane is supposed to die, it counters with Cure2 on itself, thus making it unable to die. I'm going to create a patch to remedy this. Once again, sorry.  :(
« Last Edit: December 18, 2009, 07:54:19 pm by Eternal248 »

Gi Nattak

• View Profile
    • http://ff6hacking.com/
« Reply #4 on: December 18, 2009, 09:41:10 pm »
Hmm... I see you implemented Guards into the Whelk battle just like I did. Coincidence?
You be the judge!

Eternal248

• View Profile
    • FFHacktics
« Reply #5 on: December 18, 2009, 09:54:07 pm »
Haha! It must either be coincidence or destiny! =P

I've actually been messing with a few more formations since I submitted this version, and with any luck a few more boss battles will have new formations in the upcoming versions. One of the first things I told myself I would do in Hardtype is "give Whelk some new friends to play with!". And so I did.  ;)

EDIT: Looking at your sig, Gi, it appears that you've done some extensive VI editing. Have any tips to share with a VI editor newbie such as me?
« Last Edit: December 18, 2009, 10:01:21 pm by Eternal248 »

Gi Nattak

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: December 18, 2009, 10:02:09 pm »
I noticed that you did not check the "does not appear on the Veldt" byte for that formation. So my guess is that your Whelk battle will show up on the Veldt, with the Biggs and Wedge intro, due to the Guards being in the formation. Also your battle is not exactly like mine because the Guards are there at the start. =p So it's all good.

Eternal248

• View Profile
    • FFHacktics
« Reply #7 on: December 18, 2009, 10:08:09 pm »
Hmm, I didn't think of that. Thank you for reminding me- that would have been interesting to run into. =P

If possible, I'd like to keep in contact with you (assuming you're playing through Hardtype, of course) because you seem to know what you're doing- far more than I do.  That goes for everyone, btw. I'd really like to make this patch as good as possible. :D

Gi Nattak

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: December 18, 2009, 10:13:59 pm »
For sure man! I will keep in touch with you. Since I am finally done with my stuff, I will play through/test your hack in the near future.

Eternal248

• View Profile
    • FFHacktics
« Reply #9 on: December 18, 2009, 10:15:07 pm »
Awesome, and I'll play Last Hope. ^_^

If you happen to have MSN or AIM, we can keep in touch that way. PM me if you'd like the address.

gukid

• View Profile
« Reply #10 on: February 08, 2010, 07:21:27 pm »
I'm having some trouble running this hack.  Patched the [!] 1.0 and 1.1 roms and both just startup to a black screen, and some beeping noises.  Any help?

Azkadellia

• Forum Moderator
  • 提交向你的情妇!
    • View Profile
    • Princess Translations
« Reply #11 on: February 08, 2010, 07:34:06 pm »
Did you try removing or adding a header to the ROM?
Current Projects: On hold indefinitely.
I do the Twitter thing now: https://twitter.com/MistressSaeko (expect lots of game streaming announcements)
Mistress of the RHDN Discord server.

gukid

• View Profile
« Reply #12 on: February 09, 2010, 11:56:01 pm »
Lack of header was the problem.  Thanks for the help!