News: 11 March 2016 - Forum Rules
Current Moderators - DarkSol, KingMike, MathOnNapkins, Azkadellia, Danke

Author Topic: Translations: DQ Translations Site Launch and Release  (Read 15951 times)

RHDNBot

Translations: DQ Translations Site Launch and Release
« on: November 20, 2009, 09:40:33 am »

Update By: DaMarsMan

The DQ Translations team has launched its new community based site. The site is devoted to romhacking and translations, specifically Dragon Quest style games.

In addition, the latest patch of their Dragon Quest 3 translation project has been released and it includes many bug fixes. This version should be the final version.

RHDN DQ3 page

Relevant Link: (http://www.dqtranslations.com)
« Last Edit: November 20, 2009, 02:29:08 pm by Nightcrawler »

knighTeen87

• No More Room In Hell
    • View Profile
    • My personal site with Rom Hacks&Translations,Neo Geo Soundtracks,PSX Isos,CT 2007 Hack and more...t
Re: Translations: DQ Translations Site Lauch and Release
« Reply #1 on: November 20, 2009, 01:11:09 pm »
Awesome news!
There are so many "Japan Only" games for DQ series.I hope they fix this problem in time  :thumbsup:

Garoth Moulinoski

• Disliking that smoke.
    • View Profile
    • My Stuff including Super Smash Karts.
« Reply #2 on: November 20, 2009, 02:03:08 pm »
I don't think there are that many Japan only DQ games left, actually... Just Slime Mori Mori, Dragon Quest IVr (PSX), Dragon Quest VI (Debatable, really), Dragon Quest Monsters 1 & II (PSX, one of Kaioshin(?)'s group is working on it), Dragon Quest Vr (PS2, DaMarsMan working on it), and the mystery dungeon games (1 on SNES, 2 on PS2, three on GBA).

...Well, okay, that's quite a bit... But hardly "so many" considering that a good amount of those listed are remakes to begin with.
Who will quote me next?
Disclaimer: If it sounds wrong, I may have been posting while asleep.

Nightcrawler

• View Profile
    • Nightcrawler's Translation Corporation
« Reply #3 on: November 20, 2009, 02:20:49 pm »
I'd like to see a completed, better job of Dragon Quest VI. It seems like they're not giving that game any love.  :'(

Other than that, I'm pleased to see new ROM hacking groups/communities sprouting up. It's a throwback to the days of old.  ROM hacking is alive and well. :)
TransCorp - Over 20 years of community dedication.
Dual Orb 2, Wozz, Emerald Dragon, Tenshi No Uta, Glory of Heracles IV SFC/SNES Translations

Hamlet

• View Profile
Re: Translations: DQ Translations Site Launch and Release
« Reply #4 on: November 20, 2009, 02:46:47 pm »
Great, I actually never got around to play the translation of DQ3 so now I can try the upgraded version at some point in the future. Thank You for Your hard work!
Yeah, what is up with DQ6? Never checked it out because I heard that the only available translation is an incomplete one and since this has been like this for years now I always feared that this game might be really bad and therefore no one wants to “complete” it. Is it really that bad?

DaMarsMan

• Bring DQV
    • View Profile
    • DQ Translations!
« Reply #5 on: November 20, 2009, 02:53:27 pm »
DQ6 is actually an amazing game. It has a totally different feel from the others. I have about 25% of the script re-translated but my translator slowed up. I don't like to announce projects unless I'm sure it can get done.

EDIT: I meant DQ6

Hamlet

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: November 20, 2009, 03:01:44 pm »
Sorry if I have to fall back into Newbie-mode, but was that a reply to the DQ6 topic, ergo the “I” and “V” were accidentally switched or were You referring to Garoth Moulinoski's post?
I'm sorry if this is a stupid question... ;)

EDIT: Ah OK, if that is the case and You say the game is "amazing" I wil try it out, but patiently wait for Your version to give it a go. ;)
« Last Edit: November 20, 2009, 03:13:39 pm by Hamlet »

KingMike

• Forum Moderator
  • *sigh* A changed avatar. Big deal.
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: November 20, 2009, 03:38:06 pm »
My guess is there was a bit less interest in DQ6 because the DS remake will probably be released in English next year (Japanese release in January, I think).
"My watch says 30 chickens" Google, 2018

Nightcrawler

• View Profile
    • Nightcrawler's Translation Corporation
« Reply #8 on: November 20, 2009, 03:51:13 pm »
I guess I should add it to my list then. I will always prefer the big screen, big speaker, beautiful 2D bliss version over that OTHER version. ;)
TransCorp - Over 20 years of community dedication.
Dual Orb 2, Wozz, Emerald Dragon, Tenshi No Uta, Glory of Heracles IV SFC/SNES Translations

DaMarsMan

• Bring DQV
    • View Profile
    • DQ Translations!
« Reply #9 on: November 20, 2009, 04:01:18 pm »
I prefer to finish up Glory of Heracles 3 and 4 first...

noneother

• View Profile
« Reply #10 on: November 20, 2009, 07:02:15 pm »
To Hamlet-Dragon Quest 6 is the best in the series (in my opinion, obviously). It's just that the person who did the 95% translation disappeared, and finishing someone else's work is very complicated, to the point where most romhackers would rather start from scratch. The fact that it's already fully playable in English probably explains the lack of interest in years past-and now, as it was pointed out, there's the DS remake we've known about for some time. All this to say, I don't think it has anything to do with quality, it's just a set of circumstances that prevented it from receiving a full, polished translation before.
I'm with Nightcrawler on that one, though. I'd much rather replay the full screen Snes version in its gorgeous 2d glory than the DS remake, so a complete (re?)translation would be awesome.

Also, to the DQ translations team, congratulations on DQ3 and I'm totally amped for the two Glory of Heracles translations. If you need a script editor eventually, PM me.

DQ Chao284

• View Profile
« Reply #11 on: November 21, 2009, 12:09:32 am »
I'd like to see a completed, better job of Dragon Quest VI. It seems like they're not giving that game any love.  :'(

Other than that, I'm pleased to see new ROM hacking groups/communities sprouting up. It's a throwback to the days of old.  ROM hacking is alive and well. :)

Don't worry, I'll be sure to put that in suggestion with Damarsman, since he is the owner of the site, unfortunately it is not IE friendly I guess finding out one of the links on the site crashes my browser too easily.

Besides I am already trying to work on how to get the font changed to uncompressed and hopefully that would be step 1 of the process, plus we still lack on translators on the project.

To Hamlet-Dragon Quest 6 is the best in the series (in my opinion, obviously). It's just that the person who did the 95% translation disappeared, and finishing someone else's work is very complicated, to the point where most romhackers would rather start from scratch. The fact that it's already fully playable in English probably explains the lack of interest in years past-and now, as it was pointed out, there's the DS remake we've known about for some time. All this to say, I don't think it has anything to do with quality, it's just a set of circumstances that prevented it from receiving a full, polished translation before.
I'm with Nightcrawler on that one, though. I'd much rather replay the full screen Snes version in its gorgeous 2d glory than the DS remake, so a complete (re?)translation would be awesome.

Also, to the DQ translations team, congratulations on DQ3 and I'm totally amped for the two Glory of Heracles translations. If you need a script editor eventually, PM me.

Well i did post a Help Wanted ad for such cases, the problem we have deal with is doing the similar thing like with DQ3r, having to reprogram the menus, the text location, and also dump the compressed font into an uncompressed version(which I am trying to figure out), and more so knowing this, not to mention make a better View Monsters section without glitching(in the animated monster programming node) which crashes the game, not to mention forgot that the poker game will both need a table and text overhaul, and not to mention I did create a version using PSP5 to give more detail of what it should look like, but I am not going to post it at this time,

Also the other thing about the font is those 8 special characters used in the character mapper that apparently seems to be meant for something because it was used as a chant call during the Foan event, I just wonder if it was used in any other parts of the game, then I'd have to figure out if it will have to be at 16x16 or use VWF Simple 11x11 compression(as in NFTR Editor for the DS games) to fit the character size limit, because I have been doing some retro fitting of those 8 characters to my best advantage, but I guess that depends if Damarsman wants to use those special characters of course...
« Last Edit: November 21, 2009, 12:25:38 am by DQ Chao284 »

Cryomancer

• View Profile
« Reply #12 on: November 21, 2009, 02:15:16 am »
I don't think there are that many Japan only DQ games left, actually... Just Slime Mori Mori, Dragon Quest IVr (PSX), Dragon Quest VI (Debatable, really), Dragon Quest Monsters 1 & II (PSX, one of Kaioshin(?)'s group is working on it), Dragon Quest Vr (PS2, DaMarsMan working on it), and the mystery dungeon games (1 on SNES, 2 on PS2, three on GBA).

...Well, okay, that's quite a bit... But hardly "so many" considering that a good amount of those listed are remakes to begin with.

There's also the Itadaki Street games if you wanna count those.  Someone did a pretty good "gameplay only" english patch for the PS2 game, it's actually playable without Japanese now but there's room to grow there, and then the DS version too, etc.  And I still think the II portion of the Dragon Quest I & II translation could use some bug fixing.  Still plenty of stuff to be done with this series for sure, even if much of it is just portmania.  Hell, there's MSX versions and whatnot too, even some supposedly-good fan-made MSX games if I recall.  I don't think any other version of DQ II has this for example: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cjlSMGVEXJA  (ok, obviously nothing important, but it makes me laugh anyway).  Beyond the games there is plenty of manga and anime of DQ that's barely touched in english, and if you wanna get really silly someone could try hardware hacking the DQ TV game or but the arcade games and dump those for future translations  :D

Yeah I don't know where I'm going with this, other than that there is plenty of DQ media left to tackle if someone really wants to.  I can't even find manual scans for most of the Japanese manuals anywhere on the internet.

Well that sounded beggy as hell, I apologize.  Back on topic, the new site is nice, I have enjoyed the releases thus far and await more quality patches in the future.  Godspeed brave heroes and so on.
weird video game comic translations:
http://opentrain.theyear199x.org/

badinsults

• View Profile
    • Snes Central
« Reply #13 on: November 21, 2009, 02:26:11 am »
My guess is there was a bit less interest in DQ6 because the DS remake will probably be released in English next year (Japanese release in January, I think).

Yeah, that is probably the reason.

I personally got quite far into DQ6 with the old translation before quitting (I can't recall why I quit, but hey, that was several years ago).  The bug where if you press the cancel button to get out of the equip screen and the game froze really did bother me, but I did enjoy it.  I passed DQ5 on the DS some time ago, I can't wait for the remake of DQ6!

A question though, will this new patch require a restart, or will my old save game work?

DvD

• View Profile
    • DvD Translations
« Reply #14 on: November 23, 2009, 12:32:09 am »
I guess I should add it to my list then. I will always prefer the big screen, big speaker, beautiful 2D bliss version over that OTHER version. ;)
As a big DQ series fan, and someone who tries very hard to play games from a series in the order they were released, I've been long worried that a complete DQVI would never be made.  I always feel that playing the original version of any game is important because the limitations of the original system, along with the visions of the creators, are what made the game what it is today.  That's not to say that I won't play a port, but I always prefer to play the original if at all possible.

This is the next game in the DQ series for me to play.  Now that the port for the DS is coming out, I'm even more worried that people will feel that there is no need to finish the translation of the original. :'( I guess, I'm afraid that this will be another Square-Enix project that will completely lose its steam once an official translated port is released, like what seems to have happened to Romancing SaGa, another series I've been patiently awaiting the day I can advance in. :(

Besides I am already trying to work on how to get the font changed to uncompressed and hopefully that would be step 1 of the process, plus we still lack on translators on the project.
Since the help wanted add says that you are still looking for the services of a translator, I asked myself, an NES hacker, with a complete copy of the game, and a wildcard, who's played all the previous games in the series, what can I do to help?  Not much!

So, I asked a translator that I was working with if they would be interested in lending a hand, but when he looked at the wiki page, he said that everything seems to be translated.

Since the translation is at 95%, is there any definitive list of what parts of the game are not done?  For example, a list of what bugs exist that need to be fixed, which phrases haven't been translated, which phrases have been translated but just not inserted, which graphics need to be edited, etc.

Maybe, if there is such a list, it will be easier for folks to see how they can contribute to the project.

tcaudilllg

• View Profile
« Reply #15 on: November 23, 2009, 07:52:20 am »
Great job. Now if somebody could just lower the experience requirements by about half, I could enjoy the game.  :D

DQ Chao284

• View Profile
« Reply #16 on: November 23, 2009, 04:00:20 pm »
Since the help wanted add says that you are still looking for the services of a translator, I asked myself, an NES hacker, with a complete copy of the game, and a wildcard, who's played all the previous games in the series, what can I do to help?  Not much!

So, I asked a translator that I was working with if they would be interested in lending a hand, but when he looked at the wiki page, he said that everything seems to be translated.

Since the translation is at 95%, is there any definitive list of what parts of the game are not done?  For example, a list of what bugs exist that need to be fixed, which phrases haven't been translated, which phrases have been translated but just not inserted, which graphics need to be edited, etc.

Maybe, if there is such a list, it will be easier for folks to see how they can contribute to the project.

I would PM or Email DaMarsMan to get instated to the project, since he would give you more info on it and to find what parts need retranslation.

Lilinda

• View Profile
« Reply #17 on: November 23, 2009, 08:27:13 pm »
Suggestion about the patch's readme. Perhaps if it gets updated again, you should add the change log to it.
Retired moderator/staff member as of July 14th 2016

DaMarsMan

• Bring DQV
    • View Profile
    • DQ Translations!
« Reply #18 on: November 24, 2009, 12:51:05 am »
NO need for PMs. I have a website with forums now.

I'd take your suggestion I.S.T but I honestly don't remember all the stuff I fixed. A few crashing bugs and a lot of textbox garbage overflows and such. A few item name fixes and one town name. That's about it.

Lilinda

• View Profile
« Reply #19 on: November 24, 2009, 01:06:51 am »
I meant for whatever fixes go into the next version if it ever happens, not to add the fixes from this version.

>.>
Retired moderator/staff member as of July 14th 2016