News: 11 March 2016 - Forum Rules
Current Moderators - DarkSol, KingMike, MathOnNapkins, Azkadellia, Danke

Author Topic: Japanese games with content cut for the USA versions  (Read 37013 times)

Garoth Moulinoski

• Disliking that smoke.
    • View Profile
    • My Stuff including Super Smash Karts.
Re: Japanese games with content cut for the USA versions
« Reply #80 on: August 10, 2011, 03:02:19 pm »
I'll take Woolsey's school of thinking over the one that insists that anything that can't be precisely rendered in English should just be left in Japanese. I've mellowed out about honorifics over the years (Persona 4 and FLCL show they can be handled well), but I've seen random untranslated Japanese seeping into published translations. That's a phenomenon I'd like to see nipped in the bud if at all possible.

I can give you one example. My sister was playing through Devil Survivor and she came across a line of completely untranslated Japanese. I think it was one of Haruna? Haruka? (The girl in the loose white tanktop that looks like it's about to fall)... well, that girl's events.

Her reaction to it, being someone who knows zero Japanese, was "Thanks for telling me what's going on, jerks!" and then bringing the game over to me so I could it for her (not that I can do a good job of it anyway, since my Japanese is abysmal at best).

Nevemind: It was Gin who said. And it's Haru, not Haruka. And she's wearing a dress, not a tanktop. Obviously, my sister has gotten the detail to this game down pat. She also says hi to everyone on RHDN.
« Last Edit: August 13, 2011, 06:05:35 pm by Garoth Moulinoski »
Who will quote me next?
Disclaimer: If it sounds wrong, I may have been posting while asleep.

Ryusui

• It's the greatest day.
    • View Profile
    • Tumblr
« Reply #81 on: August 10, 2011, 03:38:12 pm »
That once happened to me in Harvest Moon: Friends of Mineral Town. Someone dropped two on-screen pages' worth of Japanese script before finishing up with the translated English.

My reaction was - and still is - "holy crap the game can print both Japanese and English?" Anyway, it is indeed a translation fault, but probably not an intentional one.
In the event of a firestorm, the salad bar will remain open.

MontyMole

• No fun in the USA.
    • View Profile
« Reply #82 on: August 11, 2011, 10:23:21 am »
I remember that happening to me,  it was a conversation with the shipper guy that triggered it.   We got about 5 years in gamewise before that happened though.  It did have a pretty bad translation with plenty of misspellings and that,  if I remember right there was a sofa in the doctors house that was rendered as sopha.

A log of some kind.
. Videuss (Youtube)
it's not the official way and relies on luck\randomized placement of bears. USC