News: 11 March 2016 - Forum Rules
Current Moderators - DarkSol, KingMike, MathOnNapkins, Azkadellia, Danke

Author Topic: Japanese games with content cut for the USA versions  (Read 35169 times)

gukid

• View Profile
Re: Japanese games with content cut for the USA versions
« Reply #20 on: October 30, 2009, 01:30:28 am »
Pretty much all of the Megaman Battle Network (Rockman EXE) games had random content removed from them.  Boktai linkage, etc.  The 6th one actually had an entire extra area removed, for presumably no reason.

The Megaman Zero games had blood removed.

There's also weird cases, where you could consider the US version worse by having more stuff added to it:

Dragon Quest 8 on the PS2 was (in my opinion) slaughtered for it's US release, and barely has any semblance of a DQ game.  I'd love to play the Japanese version of this (in English) someday.  Great synth music, no voice acting, and the simple menu's.  No accents in the script would be a plus as well, and the old item/spell names.  I'd actually like to try doing this hack myself, if I ever actually get to that level...

KingMike

• Forum Moderator
  • *sigh* A changed avatar. Big deal.
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: October 30, 2009, 08:52:54 am »
Dragon Quest 8 on the PS2 was (in my opinion) slaughtered for it's US release, and barely has any semblance of a DQ game.
That's because Americans want shiny things. Or at least what SE seemed to believe. :D
"My watch says 30 chickens" Google, 2018

Me_Dave

• Romhacking Psychoanalyst
    • View Profile
    • Kid Klown's KrazyNES
« Reply #22 on: October 30, 2009, 11:29:24 am »
I would be the only one that would say this, but personally I think that some the English translations of Japanese only games should be Americanized a bit because when playing those games the item names and such doesn't make good sense or give the American player any idea what they are used for.  I find many other things very confusing in those because they don't make sense in the American Language that is not proper English anyway.  That's just my two cents though. Of course I love Nintendo of America's works and I think those should be used as a standard when translating a game to English aside from cutting out the blood an gore. Call me a Nintendo Loyalist if you won't to.     
Kid Klown's KrazyNES
They saw what the 600 Member's can do, lets show them what the 54,000 can do.

tc

• Lum Fan
    • View Profile
    • Eon Blog
« Reply #23 on: October 30, 2009, 11:37:25 am »
Dragon Quest 8 on the PS2 was (in my opinion) slaughtered for it's US release, and barely has any semblance of a DQ game.
That's because Americans want shiny things. Or at least what SE seemed to believe. :D

Weird. Personally, I found it perhaps the greatest official translation of all time. Next to other masterpieces like Chrono Trigger DS. :)

vincent_vincent

• View Profile
« Reply #24 on: November 02, 2009, 11:53:50 am »
Persona : very bad translation & the whole damn SQQ didn't make it

Rocket Science

• View Profile
« Reply #25 on: November 03, 2009, 03:37:43 am »
There's this obscure PSX flight sim called Wing Over that was localised with "improved" dialogue and names and a "better" title screen background, and was "purified" of the scenario mode. They even swapped your starting plane with that of another pilot because it was Japanese. It's a shame, because the game is actually pretty interesting (though the AI is fairly basic).

ramkhamhaeng

• View Profile
« Reply #26 on: November 03, 2009, 10:42:03 pm »
There's this obscure PSX flight sim called Wing Over that was localised with "improved" dialogue and names and a "better" title screen background, and was "purified" of the scenario mode. They even swapped your starting plane with that of another pilot because it was Japanese. It's a shame, because the game is actually pretty interesting (though the AI is fairly basic).

How does this game compare other PS1 flight sims? I thought I had played all the other flight sims on PS1, but this title seems to have escaped me because it was Japan and Europe only, I think.

And back to the main topic,  Downtown Nekketsu Monogatari got Americanized when it became River City Ransom, and one of the 2-player modes was removed.

BRPXQZME

• じー
    • View Profile
    • The BRPXQZME Network
« Reply #27 on: November 03, 2009, 11:09:36 pm »
I guess it’d be appropriate to mention Ace Combat 3 (since, y’know, I’m working on it... sort of). An extensive story line featuring anime cutscenes and everything. 99% of the story got gutted, the remainder just barely hanging by a thread to tie the remaining missions together.
we are in a horrible and deadly danger

Rolen47

• View Profile
« Reply #28 on: November 04, 2009, 12:43:40 am »
Mobile Light Force (PS1): In Japan it's called Gunbird. When it was localized to the US they gutted EVERYTHING. Character names were changed, the story was removed, the endings were removed, and fan art gallery was removed. It's just a simple scrolling shooter, but it would have been nice if they didn't remove the majority of flavor.

Rocket Science

• View Profile
« Reply #29 on: November 04, 2009, 02:37:32 am »
How does this game compare other PS1 flight sims? I thought I had played all the other flight sims on PS1, but this title seems to have escaped me because it was Japan and Europe only, I think.

It's pretty arcade-ish compared to Ace Combat and has "low budget" stamped over it, but it has some depth to it, like in the tournament mode where you can purchase and upgrade planes (of which there are plenty, all real-life), as well as hire new pilots, for instance. And if nothing else, the translated text is kind of funny (Team E. Map, anyone?). I'd definitely give it a go, but you'll want to at least try the Japanese version as well so you know what you're missing.

reyvgm

• View Profile
« Reply #30 on: November 12, 2009, 01:50:49 pm »
The Japanese version of Xexyz (Kame no Ongaeshi - Urashima Densetsu), has 3 endings. The USA version only has one.

Jonny2x4

• View Profile
« Reply #31 on: November 12, 2009, 08:34:46 pm »
The Famicom version of Double Dragon III has a very different script than one used in the official English localization for the NES. Its a bit closer to the arcade version's story. The game is also a bit easier, but you need to beat the game with all characters to see every portion of the ending.

Of course, by that logic, every Technos game that was localized for the NES is different in some form or another.

reyvgm

• View Profile
« Reply #32 on: November 12, 2009, 10:36:23 pm »
Nice! Thanks for that info.

November 12, 2009, 11:09:46 pm - (Auto Merged - Double Posts are not allowed before 7 days.)
I just saw a TAS of the Japanese version and the ending looked to be exactly the same as the USA version.

Does each character have an ending and it adds up to a full ending or what?
« Last Edit: November 12, 2009, 11:09:46 pm by reyvgm »

Pennywise

• I'm curious
    • View Profile
    • Yojimbo's Translations
« Reply #33 on: November 13, 2009, 01:47:59 pm »
I've got a new one for y'all. The intro for Dengeki Big Bang! is a tad shorter than the one for Clash at Demonhead.

reyvgm

• View Profile
« Reply #34 on: November 13, 2009, 02:32:41 pm »
Yep, I've seen that one. I wonder if the rest of the game is the same though.

Pennywise

• I'm curious
    • View Profile
    • Yojimbo's Translations
« Reply #35 on: November 13, 2009, 05:08:51 pm »
Aside from changing a yen sign to a dollar sign and gun to ammo. Not really sure.

Also what about Parodius for the NES. Looking at the ending for the European version, it doesn't appear to have that song/music and text sequence for the ending.

Well, it appears lyrics or something go along with the credits.

« Last Edit: November 13, 2009, 05:18:10 pm by Pennywise »

BRPXQZME

• じー
    • View Profile
    • The BRPXQZME Network
« Reply #36 on: November 13, 2009, 05:22:04 pm »
Conspiracy theory: Parodius was banned from the U.S. by special request from the Japanese government. This is how Konami affords their crack.
we are in a horrible and deadly danger

Pennywise

• I'm curious
    • View Profile
    • Yojimbo's Translations
« Reply #37 on: November 13, 2009, 05:32:11 pm »
Maybe it was because of the Bald Eagle, which I thought was one of the more memorable bosses. That and the showgirl with multiple legs.

Jonny2x4

• View Profile
« Reply #38 on: November 15, 2009, 12:30:42 am »
I just saw a TAS of the Japanese version and the ending looked to be exactly the same as the USA version.

Like I previously said, the script in the English version is completely different. They ditched the original script and rewrote the story from scratch, while leaving the game mostly the same. In the Famicom version, there is no mention of Marion at all and the final boss is supposed to be a revived Cleopatra.

Does each character have an ending and it adds up to a full ending or what?

Pretty much. In the Japanese version, you will only see the endings for the characters you beat the game with. If you defeated the final boss with Ranzou as the only character alive, then only Ranzou's ending will be shown. You need to beat the game with all four characters to see all their endings at once.

This affect the game a bit, because if you're playing the 1-Player mode, you will never get to see Jimmy's ending. You need to play the game with another player or do the trick in 2-Player B Mode that allows you to control both Lee brothers as single player.
« Last Edit: November 15, 2009, 10:11:16 am by Jonny2x4 »

reyvgm

• View Profile
« Reply #39 on: November 15, 2009, 02:37:40 am »
I understand now!