News: 11 March 2016 - Forum Rules
Current Moderators - DarkSol, KingMike, MathOnNapkins, Azkadellia, Danke

Author Topic: Translations: Policenauts for PSX released  (Read 40711 times)

zera9924

• View Profile
Re: Translations: Policenauts for PSX released
« Reply #60 on: August 30, 2009, 10:31:57 pm »
The extent of my complaint was that: 1.) too many bits were left out. I rarely believe there's a situation that calls for a total rewording of a sentence. A character accent can still be represented while keeping the literal wording intact. For instance, if the characters all speak in a medieval tone, then you can use early English grammar and syntax, but still be literal about it; and 2.) grammar / spelling. That's my main concern. That's what I mean by "unprofessional." It needs more editing.
"Homo sum: humani nil a me alienum puto." --Terentius (ca. 190 - 160 B.C.E.)

Kajitani-Eizan

• You couldn't kill me if I tried to let you
    • View Profile
    • KAJITANI-EIZAN's Patch Site: Reimagination
« Reply #61 on: August 30, 2009, 10:48:09 pm »
sorry, i'm still not seeing it, i guess... well, and for the second one, i suppose i haven't played it so i wouldn't have seen them.

could you give examples of each?

Next Gen Cowboy

• "People are like dice"
    • View Profile
« Reply #62 on: August 31, 2009, 03:41:04 am »
I am one step away from locking this thread, which is pathetic; these guys took time out of their days, and lives so that a great deal of people could play this. We have seen a great deal of progression and hurdles crossed...And like usual all anyone can talk about is whether the translation met their specific criteria for being good (did you actually play it by the way?)

Let me say it again, cut the crap Zera! We have heard this discussion espoused by some of the best translators I have ever seen, and we never come to a conclusion if you want to talk about the translation then do it, if you want to argue over literal translations take it up with Deuce, Gemini and K-E in another thread please!

Edit: K-E is correct by the way the least you could do is present examples, if the entirety of your goal is to be argumentative than you may find yourself on the wrong side of the discussion. I do not mean to direct my comments at on individual but I asked everyone to please chill out om the topic (in this thread at least)
« Last Edit: August 31, 2009, 03:48:33 am by Next gen Cowboy »
"Remember when we were in Japan? You said you were my gun, if you're the gun then that means I'm the bullet."

"All my life I've been waiting for the gunpowder to go off, you know what you need to ignite gunpowder? You need a gun."

Nightcrawler

• View Profile
    • Nightcrawler's Translation Corporation
« Reply #63 on: August 31, 2009, 09:50:18 am »
Well, I for one will not crap all over your release like some other ungrateful people that bring the community atmosphere down and scare people away from releasing anything...  ::)

I'm happy to see both a new complete PSX translation, of which we still have few of, as well as an English release relating to Snatcher!

That's great that you guys fixed some of the bugs in the original game too while you were at it.

Maybe the fact that it doesn't work on emulators will shine some attention for emulator authors to improve upon PSX emulation to play the game properly too. That's how we've advanced emulation to some degree in the past. The fan translation community can have some farther reaching impacts that may be immediately noticeable.

On behalf of the silent majority that comprises most of our community, thank you for this release!  :)
TransCorp - Over 20 years of community dedication.
Dual Orb 2, Wozz, Emerald Dragon, Tenshi No Uta, Glory of Heracles IV SFC/SNES Translations

noneother

• View Profile
« Reply #64 on: August 31, 2009, 10:33:05 am »
Well, I for one will not crap all over your release like some other ungrateful people that bring the community atmosphere down and scare people away from releasing anything...  ::)

I'm happy to see both a new complete PSX translation, of which we still have few of, as well as an English release relating to Snatcher!

That's great that you guys fixed some of the bugs in the original game too while you were at it.

Maybe the fact that it doesn't work on emulators will shine some attention for emulator authors to improve upon PSX emulation to play the game properly too. That's how we've advanced emulation to some degree in the past. The fan translation community can have some farther reaching impacts that may be immediately noticeable.

On behalf of the silent majority that comprises most of our community, thank you for this release!  :)

Er... it does work on emulators, you just have to use a very specific plugin for Epsxe, and PSX plays the whole game but crashes during the ending credits if I remember correctly (which, admittedly, sucks). Still, second the general sentiment about improving PSX emulation. It'd be pretty great if you could just play a game without having to research it first to know which emulator will play it and under what condition.

zera9924

• View Profile
« Reply #65 on: August 31, 2009, 12:49:25 pm »
Off-topic:

I am one step away from locking this thread, which is pathetic;

And this is why RHDN staff members are frequently met with complaints. There is nothing wrong with this discussion. You're blowing the situation out of proportion and insinuating that users are bitter and argumentive when they are infact not. It's a self-fulfilling prophecy; go around branding user as criminals, and then affirm your actions when they suddenly turn against you.

Let me say it again, cut the crap Zera!

Well, thanks for dismissing anything I express as crap. I suppose that's easier than refuting any points I've made.

In Site Feedback, I raised the issue of moderators closing discussions based on personal bias. Here we are...

I do not mean to direct my comments at on individual but I asked everyone to please chill out om the topic (in this thread at least)

Who are you talking about, exactly? The pace of the thread is perfectly fine. Users are giving feedback about the translation, discussing and comparing opinions, and being perfectly civil about it. So far, only staff members have made accusations of incivility and flaming, when none of it is even occuring in the first place. The only incivility is coming from you and NC, who have taken it upon yourselves to say, "Hey, anyone who has a critical opinion of translation hacking is a big ol' douche-bag!" Doesn't matter how civil they are about it -- it's just plain inappropriate.

I don't prefer to take this to PM, because I think this indicates a good example of the issues raised in Site Feedback. That's all I will say on the matter, since it is off-topic to the discussion at hand. Take what you will from it.

slowbeef

• View Profile
« Reply #66 on: August 31, 2009, 01:55:08 pm »
I wrote up a huge reply, because I got back this weekend and saw the thread exploded but screw it.  I'll say this part:

2. "grammar / spelling. That's my main concern. That's what I mean by "unprofessional." It needs more editing."

The script went through revision upon revision upon revision.  Testers found typos, suggested fixes, over and over and over.  This was proofread by a few people and redone to hell and back.

If you found "a lot", that's fine - please let us know because we can fix in v1.1, but you are the only person I have heard in the course of this thing voice a complaint in that regard.  So far, I personally know of one typo, although someone else claimed they found a few (three, to be specific), but hasn't listed them yet.

I can promise you though, that the script was really edited a lot, to the point where I told Marc he had to stop if we were ever going to release this thing - and I had to tell him a couple of times over the course of a few months.

Also, is this an appropriate place to talk about ROM hacking Snatcher?  I had kind of an interest in the PSX/Saturn versions, but Marc suggested the PC-Engine version, which sounds interesting.  I know MSX was already done, but I dunno.

KaioShin

• RHDN Patreon Supporter!
    • View Profile
    • The Romhacking Aerie
« Reply #67 on: August 31, 2009, 01:59:53 pm »
Also, is this an appropriate place to talk about ROM hacking Snatcher?  I had kind of an interest in the PSX/Saturn versions, but Marc suggested the PC-Engine version, which sounds interesting.  I know MSX was already done, but I dunno.

This thread specifically probably yes, but feel free to create a new one about Snatcher in the translation hacking section.

And just ignore the translation elitist trolls. They show up at every major release.
All my posts are merely personal opinions and not statements of fact, even if they are not explicitly prefixed by "In my opinion", "IMO", "I believe", or similar modifiers. By reading this disclaimer you agree to reply in spirit of these conditions.

Pennywise

• I'm curious
    • View Profile
    • Yojimbo's Translations
« Reply #68 on: August 31, 2009, 02:08:22 pm »
I wrote up a huge reply, because I got back this weekend and saw the thread exploded but screw it.  I'll say this part:

2. "grammar / spelling. That's my main concern. That's what I mean by "unprofessional." It needs more editing."

The script went through revision upon revision upon revision.  Testers found typos, suggested fixes, over and over and over.  This was proofread by a few people and redone to hell and back.

If you found "a lot", that's fine - please let us know because we can fix in v1.1, but you are the only person I have heard in the course of this thing voice a complaint in that regard.  So far, I personally know of one typo, although someone else claimed they found a few (three, to be specific), but hasn't listed them yet.

I can promise you though, that the script was really edited a lot, to the point where I told Marc he had to stop if we were ever going to release this thing - and I had to tell him a couple of times over the course of a few months.

Which Snatcher for the MSX, SD or normal? I do know that SD could use a re-do and this site doesn't a complete Snatcher translation, but an almost complete exists. Maybe.

Also, if interested in doing a PC Engine translation, it would be in your best interest to contact Dave Shadoff, Tomaitheous or maybe even Esper Knight, who seems to enjoy hacking the system lately.

You'd probably want to start another thread fot that as well.

Also, nice job on the translation.

zera9924

• View Profile
« Reply #69 on: August 31, 2009, 02:19:50 pm »
If you found "a lot", that's fine - please let us know because we can fix in v1.1, but you are the only person I have heard in the course of this thing voice a complaint in that regard.

If you're serious about this, I don't mind taking look at the script and making corrections. Just PM me a copy of it and I'll go over it in my spare time.

DarknessSavior

• Darkness.
    • View Profile
    • DS: No, not the Nintendo one.
« Reply #70 on: August 31, 2009, 02:24:34 pm »
If you found "a lot", that's fine - please let us know because we can fix in v1.1, but you are the only person I have heard in the course of this thing voice a complaint in that regard.

If you're serious about this, I don't mind taking look at the script and making corrections. Just PM me a copy of it and I'll go over it in my spare time.

I actually think this would be a good idea. From what I've seen, zera is an incredible writer. I mean, go read the script he wrote from scratch:

http://www.romhacking.net/forum/index.php/topic,8865.0.html

~DS
Red Comet: :'( Poor DS. Nobody loves him like RC does. :'(
Sliver-X: LET ME INFRINGE UPON IT WITH MY MOUTH
DSRH - Currently working on: Demon's Blazon, Romancing SaGa, FFIV EasyType.
http://www.youtube.com/user/DarknessSavior

mastermx

• View Profile
« Reply #71 on: August 31, 2009, 03:57:06 pm »
Translated all text and fixed bugs!? this translation was handled better then it would have been if it were translated by konami themselves!

All that time of waiting. and its out. I love this game  :laugh:

Next Gen Cowboy

• "People are like dice"
    • View Profile
« Reply #72 on: August 31, 2009, 06:05:51 pm »
Zera: All I asked was for you to take the discussion of how to translate to another thread, as well as asking you to present some example, and just generally show a little respect for the people who worked on this.

"Remember when we were in Japan? You said you were my gun, if you're the gun then that means I'm the bullet."

"All my life I've been waiting for the gunpowder to go off, you know what you need to ignite gunpowder? You need a gun."

Carnivol

• Consider it a privilege!
    • View Profile
« Reply #73 on: August 31, 2009, 06:17:27 pm »

I actually think this would be a good idea. From what I've seen, zera is an incredible writer. I mean, go read the script he wrote from scratch:

http://www.romhacking.net/forum/index.php/topic,8865.0.html

~DS

I dunno if this is a good idea or not. No offense to the script in the link there or anything, as that might be top notch stuff (Didn't read it. Sorry!) But there's no reason to fix something that's not really broken, and part of Zera's issues with the translation seem to be rooted in a lack of experience with (or possibly; understanding of) the shortcomings of subtitling and/or text that otherwise relies on limited screen time.

too many bits were left out. I rarely believe there's a situation that calls for a total rewording of a sentence.

In fear of partially repeating myself about what I said in a previous post;
If you only have 2-4 seconds (max) + two rows of approx. 45 characters each, you usually can't fit everything. No matter how carefully you select your words, or how backwards you try to write things. The thing you always do is crop out whatever's being repeated, anything and everything that just "takes up space", and then just take whatever's left and make sure it sounds consistent (as in; in-character and such) with everything else (which in this case is not voiced).

Personally, I've always hated working with subtitles for exotic languages that feels a need to reference, cross-reference, quoting, joke about, and/or make lame puns about anything and everything (like many Japanese scripts have a horrible habit of doing), 'cause sometimes it's pretty much impossible to convert all of that, in a comprehensible way, into a different language, without first bringing out the butcher knife and give it a solid stabbing. If you're dubbing... then it's a whole different case~ (Although I don't always think something needs a dub, depending on its setting and such, it sure makes a lot of things easier!)

However, I'm cutting my own bla bla bla here. I dunno where the line is drawn for "same old, different day" discussions around here and when the can of worms is full and ready for having its lid closed 'n sealed. Would rather not be the one to have this one closed.

Anyway, I'd say that what the good folks on the Policenauts team should probably do, would be to harvest any and all general "documented" feedback (screenshots/transcripts of typos, awkwardly worded stuff, etc. + evt. stuff about other suggested changes and/or "bugs") and just take things from there for any evt. v1.1 update.
(Also, sorry, slowbeef! For not keeping better notes of stuff that might be typo-ish bugs! I just sometimes try to avoid mixing work with private life, even though the glorious world of translation and localization is always so exciting :laugh:

Also, a general question of curiosity: How are the Japanese subtitles/captions in the game? Are they pure 1:1 transcripts of ALL the audio content (in my experience, this rarely happens, there are always at least some lines that aren't 1:1 with the audio, for space/timing reasons), or are they done like any other normal subtitles?

DarknessSavior

• Darkness.
    • View Profile
    • DS: No, not the Nintendo one.
« Reply #74 on: August 31, 2009, 07:02:20 pm »
Uh, trust me. Read the script. It's seriously one of the best things I've read, as far as fan-made material goes, even if it kinda hard to understand. =/

~DS
Red Comet: :'( Poor DS. Nobody loves him like RC does. :'(
Sliver-X: LET ME INFRINGE UPON IT WITH MY MOUTH
DSRH - Currently working on: Demon's Blazon, Romancing SaGa, FFIV EasyType.
http://www.youtube.com/user/DarknessSavior

Carnivol

• Consider it a privilege!
    • View Profile
« Reply #75 on: August 31, 2009, 07:17:00 pm »
Uh, trust me. Read the script. It's seriously one of the best things I've read, as far as fan-made material goes, even if it kinda hard to understand. =/

~DS

I'll see if I can sneak it into a coffee break or something in a not too distant future. I'm just way too easily distracted and occupied (with a whole lot of random junk and nothingness) these days :'(

mastermx

• View Profile
« Reply #76 on: August 31, 2009, 08:47:39 pm »
I dont see how anyone can complain. This is seriously a translation that has surpassed all others including official translations. A good translation is not one that is simply "converted" but one that is tailored to the needs and expressions of another language.

tc

• Lum Fan
    • View Profile
    • Eon Blog
« Reply #77 on: August 31, 2009, 10:40:02 pm »
How well does this run on PSP? Before I go messing around with that, I'd like to be sure. :beer:

slowbeef

• View Profile
« Reply #78 on: August 31, 2009, 10:50:46 pm »
How well does this run on PSP? Before I go messing around with that, I'd like to be sure. :beer:

Very well, better than emulation.  It was my hardware testing platform of choice.

Lilinda

• View Profile
« Reply #79 on: September 01, 2009, 12:08:25 am »
Um...

You do realize the PSP emulates the PS1, right?
Retired moderator/staff member as of July 14th 2016