News: 11 March 2016 - Forum Rules
Current Moderators - DarkSol, KingMike, MathOnNapkins, Azkadellia, Danke

Author Topic: Translations: Bare Knuckle 3: English Patch Released  (Read 33243 times)

Lilinda

• View Profile
Re: Translations: Bare Knuckle 3: English Patch Released
« Reply #40 on: August 26, 2009, 01:32:56 am »
-_-

Don't bump an old thread for this. Make a new one.
Retired moderator/staff member as of July 14th 2016

RedComet

• View Profile
    • Twilight Translations
« Reply #41 on: August 26, 2009, 07:38:56 am »
psst

I converted to an .smd, successfully patched, and all I get is this big red screen.

Wtf yo

Because you apply the patch to a .bin not a .smd file.
Twilight Translations - More than just Dragonball Z. :P

KingMike

• Forum Moderator
  • *sigh* A changed avatar. Big deal.
    • View Profile
« Reply #42 on: August 26, 2009, 09:26:25 am »
Did you verify if it was in SMD format to begin with (do converters check that)?
(I wouldn't go by the extension. I've seen BIN-format ROMs with smd extensions.
The easiest way to tell is to open the ROM in a hex editor and go to address 0x100. If it says "SEGA GENESIS" or "SEGA MEGA DRIVE" then it's BIN.)
"My watch says 30 chickens" Google, 2018

BareKnuckleRage

« Reply #43 on: August 26, 2009, 05:22:19 pm »
psst

I converted to an .smd, successfully patched, and all I get is this big red screen.

Wtf yo

Because you apply the patch to a .bin not a .smd file.

And when I apply the patch to the .bin file, which I mistakenly did before I downloaded the converter recommended on this website, the same red screen appears and corrupts my rom. Regardless of the software claiming that "No rom has ever been reported corrupted!"

I may be a rookie when it comes to this sort of thing, but i'm not an idiot. I can follow directions and the directions do not work.

I did no verify it was in SMD format, since the converter told me everything went successful changing it from a bin.

I'm just getting a little impatient seeing as how I already downloaded 2-3 programs trying to make this work, and everytime I download a program I soon come to the realization that I have to download another one just to make the first one work. So obviously i'm not keen on getting a hex editor. It's already shady enough installing things i've never heard of.

Azkadellia

• Forum Moderator
  • 提交向你的情妇!
    • View Profile
    • Princess Translations
« Reply #44 on: August 26, 2009, 05:57:55 pm »
It could also be a checksum problem. Genesis games are known for going bonzo if the checksum is messed up.
Current Projects: On hold indefinitely.
I do the Twitter thing now: https://twitter.com/MistressSaeko (expect lots of game streaming announcements)
Mistress of the RHDN Discord server.

RedComet

• View Profile
    • Twilight Translations
« Reply #45 on: August 26, 2009, 11:58:47 pm »
It could also be a checksum problem. Genesis games are known for going bonzo if the checksum is messed up.

The patch fixes the checksum. The only way it could be a checksum issue is if the rom is corrupted.

BareKnuckleRage, the best advice I can give is to download the rom from a different source and try applying the patch to that. And then if that doesn't work, then use a converter program. Like KingMike said, sometimes .bins are falsely labeled with a .smd extension.
Twilight Translations - More than just Dragonball Z. :P