News: 11 March 2016 - Forum Rules
Current Moderators - DarkSol, KingMike, MathOnNapkins, Azkadellia, Danke

Author Topic: Hard Rock/Metal MSU-1 set for Mega Man X  (Read 5703 times)

Possessed

• View Profile
Re: Hard Rock/Metal MSU-1 set for Mega Man X
« Reply #20 on: January 30, 2017, 12:31:06 pm »
You mean you don't want to use RMS normalization (I still don't know what RMS stands for and Google was mean to my inside feelings once) to create a control group to compare to the EQ balanced ones, just for comparison's sake?

I mean, it's like you're treating Engineering as an art, but it is, unless I'm like, pants-shittingly mistaken, a science.

Your attitude about this seems a bit defensive but I still don't think you've gone overboard in terms of manners. You're a strange one indeed, not saying its a bad thing...just a bit odd, without putting too fine a point on it.

Well that would be an excellent idea... If I hadn't been deleting my wav files and multitrack files of the songs after converting them to pcm. (Luckily I had done a standalone cover of the opening stage or I would have has to redo it from scratch.) Which was monumentally stupid on my part and I won't make that mistake when I do x2. And I do realize I could convert them back to wav and do it, but like I said i said I already tested every track and found the volume "the hard way" so it seems pointless now and I only have 5 or six tracks left to do.

When I move on to x2 I'll definitely be more open to suggestion since I won't already have done a bunch of work and I'll definitely give the RMS normalization more consideration at that point. I didn't take it as hostile no worries when I start a new pack I'll probably take that advice I just thought it would be good to explain that the pack is almost done now which is why I'm not as open to suggestion as I will be when I do my next one, which I will use when I start it. Is x2 the same?

qwertymodo

• RHDN Patreon Supporter!
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: January 30, 2017, 03:21:43 pm »
X2 is also -21dB RMS, X3 is -18.

Also, Spooniest: https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Root_mean_square

Possessed

• View Profile
« Reply #22 on: January 30, 2017, 07:10:27 pm »
X2 is also -21dB RMS, X3 is -18.

Also, Spooniest: https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Root_mean_square

Good to know, thanks.

February 05, 2017, 03:31:35 pm - (Auto Merged - Double Posts are not allowed before 7 days.)
Sorry for the long time with no posts guys.  I promise this isn't dead or abandoned.  I was actually in the process of making a new preview video (I have all the songs up to Sigma Stage 2 completed as per the order they appear in the game) when I somehow accidentally deleted my entire folder of the msu soundtrack.  :(  I didn't actually lose my covers of the songs, but I did have to go back in, remaster them (I just had the raw mixes with no processing applied to the overall sound), re-loop them, re-convert them all to msu etc.  So that was frustrating and I had to take a few days off.   But I'm in the process of re putting all that stuff in then I'll post a new video.
« Last Edit: February 05, 2017, 03:31:35 pm by Possessed »

Possessed

• View Profile
« Reply #23 on: February 10, 2017, 07:10:48 pm »
I know I've not been good (at all) about sharing preview tracks like I was intending on it.  This late in the game it's kinda pointless as I literally only have 3 songs left to do.  But here's one.  It's not particularly iconic or anything, but it's one I did today and I think it turned out okay.

http://tindeck.com/listen/nlymt

Bonk

• View Profile
« Reply #24 on: February 11, 2017, 02:22:19 am »
There's some high frequency pitch that is really throwing me.  Getting some major dissonance from it (only present in the stage's track).  All else is good, but man that had my synesthesia going mad.
Guitars have intonation issues. And the transcription of the songs are are wrong, the melody and the backing are played in the wrong keys compared to the Synths. 

Good intentions. Execution needs work.

Possessed

• View Profile
« Reply #25 on: February 11, 2017, 02:44:38 am »
Guitars have intonation issues. And the transcription of the songs are are wrong, the melody and the backing are played in the wrong keys compared to the Synths. 

Good intentions. Execution needs work.

I already know about the issue with the the synths and guitars being in different keys in the opening stage, it was pointed out in literally the first 3 posts and I already stated multiple times I fixed.  I know it's a little daunting to have to read more than 2 posts before replying so no hard feelings..  Also, as for the songs being incorrectly transcribed, all the songs are brought down a half step and the guitars do match the synth in this respect. (other than the opening stage, which, like I said, I fixed), it is intentional.
« Last Edit: February 11, 2017, 03:57:41 am by Possessed »

Spooniest

• Restricted Access
  • Madge, I want your body! 'harry your a beast!11'
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: February 14, 2017, 09:55:54 pm »
I like the Sigma tune better than the first one.

Dude up there is right, you need to reset your intonation. If you can tell me what kind of bridge your guitar has, I could probably tell you how to do it. Your truss rod is likely fine, your fingerspeed is amazing man.

Your mixes aren't very subtle, and I can't hear any bass guitar on the Sigma Stage 2 theme music...is that because you didn't record it yet, or because you don't have it turned up loud enough?

I am using very big speakers...

Possessed

• View Profile
« Reply #27 on: February 14, 2017, 10:09:55 pm »
Heh, well you'd probably like the first one better now that I've fixed the problem with the strings.

There is bass, it's probably just not loud enough.  But I actually didn't "record" a bass part for this... it's sampled from the original bass haha. 

As for the intonation, I think it's more likely a case of me pressing too hard to the point where I'm slightly bending the notes than it being a badly intonated guitar.  I'll see about re-recording the solo section (where there's only one guitar playing the melody) in the sigma stage I just posted.  I think it sounds okay when there's two guitars because I didn't press down as hard when I knew there was going to be two guitars.  I tend to play too hard at times, which has it's advantages and disadvantages.  The advantages being the sort of intense and soulfull sound that comes from my playing, the disadvantage being that, as you have pointed out, sometimes I go overboard and results in poor intonation.

UPDATE:  You were right, I adjusted it then re-recorded the parts where it was bad, and remixed.  There's one or two sour notes still at the beginning, but if you're not listening for them specifically you're not as likely to notice. It's hard to get perfect sounding intonation when playing with such synth dominant tracks where the intonation is perfect to the cent 100% of the time. http://tindeck.com/listen/raidb

And another for your troubles: http://tindeck.com/listen/upjma
« Last Edit: February 16, 2017, 02:16:40 am by Possessed »

Possessed

• View Profile
« Reply #28 on: February 10, 2018, 09:55:26 am »
Hi all. I know it's been a long time since I've posted here. Life got in the way and I'm still going through troubles but I've decided to take this up again.

Despite the fact that I had all but  three songs done I have decided to start this project over.  This is mainly due to a huge leap in sound quality in my recorded guitars due to equipment upgrades.

http://tindeck.com/listen/nivga  (Title Screen)

http://tindeck.com/listen/vbwxy (Intro Stage)

I think the new sound recording set up has benefit this tremendously.
« Last Edit: February 12, 2018, 10:25:11 pm by Possessed »

Spooniest

• Restricted Access
  • Madge, I want your body! 'harry your a beast!11'
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: February 13, 2018, 01:06:05 pm »
Too much midrange. No bass at all. Overcompressed.

Remember, criticism makes you better.

Possessed

• View Profile
« Reply #30 on: February 15, 2018, 11:38:57 am »
I cut back on the midrange and equalized the rhythm guitars differently, and boosted the bass track.
« Last Edit: February 16, 2018, 12:23:36 pm by Possessed »