News: 11 March 2016 - Forum Rules
Current Moderators - DarkSol, KingMike, MathOnNapkins, Azkadellia, Danke

Author Topic: The Console Tool (by Low Lines)  (Read 252715 times)

KaioShin

• RHDN Patreon Supporter!
    • View Profile
    • The Romhacking Aerie
Re: The Console Tool (by Low Lines)
« Reply #280 on: February 03, 2011, 12:02:50 pm »
No.

SNES games don't generally share common formats in the way the DS does due to the SDK.
All my posts are merely personal opinions and not statements of fact, even if they are not explicitly prefixed by "In my opinion", "IMO", "I believe", or similar modifiers. By reading this disclaimer you agree to reply in spirit of these conditions.

azoreseuropa

• View Profile
« Reply #281 on: February 03, 2011, 01:48:49 pm »
No.

SNES games don't generally share common formats in the way the DS does due to the SDK.

Oh, I understand. Thank you very much.

Jandazekon

• View Profile
« Reply #282 on: February 03, 2011, 05:16:01 pm »
There is 2 unique ps2 games called soul reaver 2 and metal gear solid 2.
They can't be dumped and converted without knowing reverse engineering according to ps2 assembly.
« Last Edit: February 03, 2011, 05:21:17 pm by Jandazekon »

Low Lines

• View Profile
    • lowlines
« Reply #283 on: February 03, 2011, 05:37:08 pm »
@Naruto
Older console games (those that don't have their own internal file system) would probably require custom plugins on a game by game basis, and considering just how many games there are, that is a project within itself.

@Jandazekon
There would be a lot of games (for both PS1 & PS2), that attempt to hide their content from the hackers, though my program (at least not the most current version) doesn't have ISO reading support yet so I'm not sure what you are implying.

viperzerof-2

• View Profile
« Reply #284 on: February 12, 2011, 11:26:40 am »
hey you seem to like digimon if you want I can send you the sprite files from digital monster ver.s and maybe you could add support for them?

KarlYu

• View Profile
« Reply #285 on: February 18, 2011, 09:05:41 pm »
Hi, Low Lines

We are trying to translate a NDS game into our language, but the most pictures are stored with NCER,NANR,NCLR,NCGR format.
I am very exciting to find your great The Console Tool by Google, it can show the picture right,
but can the picture be exported and then be imported?

Low Lines

• View Profile
    • lowlines
« Reply #286 on: February 18, 2011, 10:28:17 pm »
Unfortunately not yet, and I can't give you a date as to when it will be since this project is something I do in my spare time, which is what I haven't had a lot of lately :(

You have of course managed to find RomHacking.net which is chock full of people who obviously spend their free time doing such things.

I have not really done any translations myself, but from what I gather you can use my tool to find and/or extract the raw files (in their native format) and then rely on other tools to modify them. Assuming you are able to get to this point you will then need another program to repack the game you are trying to translate. You should only need to modify NCLR and NCGR, assuming you want the graphics to behave in the same manner as they originally do.

You should start a new thread and ask people what other tools you will need, there are some really helpful people here!!

Ryusui

• It's the greatest day.
    • View Profile
    • Tumblr
« Reply #287 on: February 18, 2011, 10:30:42 pm »
Even though it can't export/import graphics yet, you can use it to narrow down the search for the graphics you need to edit.

My usual method is to extract the whole ROM to a directory structure using ndstool (and the same to reassemble the ROM for testing) and edit individual files using Tile Molester.
In the event of a firestorm, the salad bar will remain open.

KarlYu

• View Profile
« Reply #288 on: February 19, 2011, 03:10:25 am »
@Low Lines
Thank you for your detail replay, I will create a new thread about my problem.

And I hope you will still continue developing this tools, 'cause it's really useful for game translation.

@Ryusui

You are right, it can help me chose which picture we need to modify.

In this game, thousands of pictures are NANR format, if I can find the appropriate tools, we can only do ti manually.

Low Lines

• View Profile
    • lowlines
« Reply #289 on: February 19, 2011, 03:34:21 am »
No problem.

I plan to keep going with the project, I just need the time and the right motivation, like the 3DS coming out next month!! I think especially once someone manages to extract the games, there ought to be a resurgence in the rom hacking community again. I'm especially keen to know how much of the NDS SDK stuff is being recycled and/or what changes they've made, not to mention how they store/render 3D 3D models :)

Microsoft & Sony have never really caught my interest with all their PC Gamer garnered content and the Wii casual gaming has been really really dull, so I essentially am only interested in first-party Nintendo games which are few and far between. Am going to be so hyped when Zelda 3D comes out though, that's one game that I want to open up and dissect (as well as thoroughly play too of course)!!

Good luck with your project!!

Low Lines

• View Profile
    • lowlines
« Reply #290 on: March 06, 2011, 02:54:59 pm »
This project now has an official home (http://llref.emutalk.net/projects/ctool/), and a super awesome logo/banner  :crazy:

Still haven't had much of a chance to work on it unfortunately, since my main focus for last fortnight has been gearing up for Uni and getting my website back in order (which still needs some of the old projects migrated, and some new ones added), but I do plan to sit down and do some work on this soon.

Due to my vacation job, I hadn't touched Java for 3 straight months, so it was quite the relapse when my Java lecturer told us to write a linked-list class from scratch making use of recursion :banghead:
So it looks like I'm going to learn a fair few more new things this semester that are going to help improve my programming :p

Romsstar

• View Profile
« Reply #291 on: March 06, 2011, 05:34:38 pm »
Since I'm working on Digimon World 1 for PSX it would be awesome if one of the next released could implement a 3D Model Viewer
and (dreaming) a MAP Viewer (for reference http://www.sendspace.com/file/uc228f) the TFS in there is such a Map for example, the MAP itself is just collision data and some TIMs)

Friedslick6

• View Profile
« Reply #292 on: March 08, 2011, 03:54:41 am »
Wow Low Lines, nice new website!
I hope you do well with the inevitable pile of work coming your way.

dicamarques

« Reply #293 on: March 10, 2011, 09:46:08 am »
Sorry for comming into here but does anyone know how to change that season screen that appears in pkmn black and white when the game starts?
Thanks
P.S. tried with cristal tyle and nothing happened :banghead:

Low Lines

• View Profile
    • lowlines
« Reply #294 on: April 04, 2011, 11:24:53 am »
Gosh time really does fly!!

Studies have obviously kept me busy over the past month however I have been working on ctool off and on, more so since last Friday, which was the start of my mid semester break (though I still have assignments so it's more of a "semi-break" >_<). The main focus of my Java unit up to now has been on data structures, from which I'm certain will benefit on this project once I get the chance to apply my new knowledge. Not only that, but I've also been getting some advice from my new lecturer (who actually works as a Java programmer) with specifics to aspects of this project as I've been slowly reworking the GUI in my spare time. It's made the code behind the workspace design alot simpler and much less buggy than it was in the last version. Docks are now fully resizable, and lock once they fill up the content area. Workspace components can also be removed from the layout without it breaking and can be reapplied through the menu. This will help with hiding/showing components relevant/non-relevant to the type of file being edited, though I still have to reapply drag-n-drop and add Group component (the grey ones that hold the tabs) resizing before it is finished.

I've also been going over my file access classes and simplifying them down more while also trying to crack down on the memory stockpiling, which some may have noticed can happen when opening a large number of files (regardless if they get closed or not) over time. I'm quite certain it is caused by data objects not being properly de-referenced, preventing JVM from freeing up the memory. I had a lot of listeners latched on this way and that, so I'm going to rework this from the ground up and keep it simple like I've been doing with the workspace design.

Once I've got this far I plan to continue work on the 3D viewer/editor as I had planned to back in December, though it was probably better that I hadn't started work on it then as it would have likely meant I'd have to do a lot more reworking to get the data structures right since I know more now than I did back then :p

On a side note, I am for the time being working from a Mac, which aside from the fact is backwards in MANY MANY ways (#_#) has given me the opportunity to develop ctool on a second platform.

Come the next public build, I think I'll definitely start releasing versions for multiple platforms as personally I would kill for a decent hacking app for Mac right now :banghead:

chrrox

• View Profile
« Reply #295 on: April 05, 2011, 09:56:44 am »
Hi can you add support for these models it should not be to hard to add it to your program.
it can already convert the textures.
http://www.mediafire.com/?pra6qlwg55a4r89

just in case here is a quickbms script to extract the arcs.

Code: [Select]
get arc long
get files short
get comp1 short
get null long
comtype lz77wii
goto 0xC
for i = 0 < files
get offset long
get zsize long
get size long
if null == 0
getdstring name 0x20
else
get name basename
string name + _
string name + i
endif
if zsize == size
log name offset zsize
else
clog name offset zsize size
endif
next i

Low Lines

• View Profile
    • lowlines
« Reply #296 on: April 07, 2011, 04:56:49 pm »
@chrrox
I'm not that familiar with quickbms (in fact I've never heard of it before), and it wasn't all that clear you were pointing me to an archive format until I opened it up in a hex viewer :p
That being said I will look into it once fix up my archive classes.

@status
pretty much everything I had set out to do with the workspace reworking has been implemented. you can rearrange the layout to however you want which includes collapsing groups and/or hiding components freely. I've also added a bunch of menu options related to the layout management including a reset to the default layout in the event something goes sour (although I've tested it enough that it shouldn't). The only things I haven't got working yet is resizing groups (vertically) and keeping track of layout sizing. By default, everything will revert back to its minimum size upon reloading.

I also spent a fair bit of time trying to get a grasp on the memory concerns, and after re-reading up on the Garbage Collector, I have a few points people should be aware of with Java apps. The amount of memory allocated to the program in the taskmanager does not necessarily represent how much memory is actually being used. Having a computer with its own set of hardware problems I'm constantly keeping an eye on it and so I've been making the same mistake myself. Long story short, i've added a menu option ("Garbage Collection") which will manually call the process, and I've also included some usage statistics in the statusbar to make it a bit more clearer for people exactly what the app is doing with all your memory :p Calling the GC manually won't guarantee you'll free up memory, but it might produce better results if you are opening and closing files all the time ;)

The next step is to go through the file format specific ui elements as well as the file formats themselves and fix up anything that needs attention, and then I can get cracking into the 3d stuff :)

[edit]

Here's a preview of the reworked layout. Probably still looks mostly the same, but its better in terms of functionality compared to 3.0
It's all bare bones at the moment, I've still got re-add all the ui elements from the last version (albeit cleaner and more stable).

« Last Edit: April 07, 2011, 05:31:21 pm by Low Lines »

chrrox

• View Profile
« Reply #297 on: April 08, 2011, 04:35:23 pm »
quickbms is a command line tool.
http://aluigi.altervista.org/papers.htm#quickbms
it works with scripts to extract archives.

once these files are extracted they are standard ds formats except they cant be opened by your viewer yet.
they almost load in some other viewers.
your program loads the texture files fine.

Low Lines

• View Profile
    • lowlines
« Reply #298 on: April 08, 2011, 04:46:59 pm »
Hmm I see...might be a variation of the format. Just at a glance the hex reads off as NSBMDs though. What game is this from?

chrrox

• View Profile
« Reply #299 on: April 08, 2011, 05:06:41 pm »
Love plus