They're images which are meant to 512 wide but instead are being rendered as 256. Since NSCRs work with tiles, that's how you get that stripy look. 256x256 is like your normal drawing area, when the image is bigger than that, it has to get drawn a little differently. I've NSCRs that store each 256 block after each other, but that one is clearly doing the entire row sequentially :p
Ok with regards to the coloring error (where it displayed green), that happened because I hadn't included a conditional check to see if the Map (or rather the NCGR) was 4bit or 8bit. By default it opens as 4bit, which means it only uses 16 colors instead of the full 256.
Gyakuten Kenji 2 (BOXJ) - contents/com/logo.bin/2.nscr
Am looking into the other issue now...
Looking at the specs on GBATek
, it looks as though the internal screen size can be set to different sizes...
The unknown value in the NSCR map appears to hold different values for the mucked up images, though I've also noticed that NCGR with no obvious NSCR assigned to them are also affected by this internal sizing thing. What I've done for the time being is add a few if statements that will use a bigger internal size if the image is bigger than normal...
Gyakuten Kenji 2 (BOXJ) - contents/com/upcut.bin/406.ncgr
It looks like some of the NSCRs use a weird mapping layout...
The upper image is what the NCGR looks like (which is drawn row by row), and the lower image is what the NSCR looks like. It only seems to affect graphics wider than 256px so it's likely an error in my rendering code.
Appears as though the problem has been fixed...
Gyakuten Kenji 2 (BOXJ) - contents/com/upcut.bin/94.nscr
Even though it's repeating the image twice, that can't be an error in ctool because the index is counted in the loop (not by using math to figure out the index). I went and tested a few other big NSCRs to make sure it was working...
Digimon World (ADNE) - contents/dat/BTMAP/10as.nscr
Note: The above is a before & after.
I've also uploaded a modified build with these fixes applied to the project page
. Keep in mind that this is using the old gui since I'm still working on the next version which has the more stable interface.
Let me know if you find any NSCRs that still display wrong...Also it would be helpful to include the location of the file like I've started doing in my posts...
ie Game Title (Game Id) - filePath