News: 11 March 2016 - Forum Rules
Current Moderators - DarkSol, KingMike, MathOnNapkins, Azkadellia, Danke

Author Topic: Site: Romhacking.net Open for Business Again  (Read 16885 times)

Suzaku

• Job change!
    • View Profile
    • Studio Llama
Re: Site: Romhacking.net Open for Business Again
« Reply #20 on: June 17, 2009, 11:36:38 pm »
Wow. I attended a security webcast today, and they talked about the HyperVM thing, and all the stuff that was lost. My first thought was "gee, I wonder if that's what happened to RHDN." Seems it was. i wouldn't feel too bad, NC. There were hundreds of thousands of accounts that were completely unrecoverable. The fact that RHDN is back up and running at all with any kind of restore is pretty amazing.  :thumbsup:

Cidolfas

• View Profile
    • Final Fantasy Compendium
« Reply #21 on: June 18, 2009, 12:55:42 am »
Woo, thanks!

StreetTrash

• View Profile
« Reply #22 on: June 18, 2009, 01:04:03 am »
Happy day~!  :crazy:

I was seriously starting to have withdrawals.
vive le zopharsdomaindonutparodiusthewhirlpoolrhdn~!

Deathlike2

• View Profile
« Reply #23 on: June 18, 2009, 01:08:03 am »
I just want to state for the record: This last week or so has been the most productive week I have had in a couple years. Coincidence?  :P

Propaganda and lies!  :P :D
FF4 Research Continues
Working on the next Yet To Be Named FF4 "Hardtype" Hack

Recca

• Indignation!
    • View Profile
    • Dynamic-Designs
« Reply #24 on: June 18, 2009, 02:19:10 am »
Awesome, RHDN is back again! I was starting to get serious withdraw symptoms too after seeing the site down for so long. Too bad about the lost material, but at least there still was a pretty recent backup available which is good. I think I remember the game edits that I made, I'll have to check my emails.
"Truly, if there is evil in this world, it lies within the heart of mankind."
- Edward D. Morrison (Tales of Phantasia)

azidahaka

• View Profile
« Reply #25 on: June 18, 2009, 02:48:01 am »
great to be back here again! :thumbsup:

snesmaster40

• View Profile
« Reply #26 on: June 18, 2009, 05:20:26 am »
It's good to be back, but there was some good topics going which are gone now  :'(
Are we not men?

Nightcrawler

• View Profile
    • Nightcrawler's Translation Corporation
« Reply #27 on: June 18, 2009, 08:47:19 am »
KingMike:
Go to the Submit Files Page, you can see the queue submission status link there. Yours is still there. No submissions have been processed yet due to the rDNS e-mail thing. No need to resubmit.

I have to have contact the data center (owner of the actual IP address block) today and see what happened with the rDNS record. It's holding us back. If we can't get quick resolution with it, I'll either open up e-mail anyway and deal with whatever the result may be of not having it, (my ISP e-mail is OK with it, but I know Comcast and Yahoo are not off the top of my head.) or we will just approve/reject without proper e-mail confirmation.  I'll give it some thought.
TransCorp - Over 20 years of community dedication.
Dual Orb 2, Wozz, Emerald Dragon, Tenshi No Uta, Glory of Heracles IV SFC/SNES Translations

nonme345

• View Profile
    • JPN Translations
« Reply #28 on: June 18, 2009, 09:12:49 am »
HAIL RHDN! :laugh:

Anyway, at least I have my account back.
« Last Edit: June 18, 2009, 05:21:17 pm by nonme345 »

FallenAngel2387

• View Profile
« Reply #29 on: June 18, 2009, 09:17:02 am »
....I don't know what upload sites your database will allow, Nightcrawler gave a link once, but that was after April

Meantime, I got some Qooy redirected depositfile links for some Sonic/2 hacks:

http://qooy.com/redirect/1OSMQHMW/4
^called "Robotniks Revenge" for Sonic 2; Author goes by ColinC10; levels, graphics, and gameplay are changed, guessing text as well, to make it a complete hack, since the title screen says "time attack" "survival" and allows you to pick between Sonic and Tails. If that didn't give the hint, it's a boss rush using all the bosses between the first 2 Sonic games.

http://qooy.com/redirect/1KRDXVFX/4
^called "Sonic 1 - Return to the Origin," obviously for the first Sonic game. Author is Carretero. Far as I can tell, it's a level hack, and nothing more. This has you play the levels in the same order, but backward, from right to left. Makes it more challenging when you're used to the stages as they go from left to right.

http://qooy.com/redirect/1PTI1CLR/4
^This one is called Tohaka, it's for Sonic 2. Author is either just Ultima, or the group he put together called Shadowsoft games, unfortunately I have no idea there. Seems to also just be a level hack, though the title screen is changed, if that counts for a graphics hack. Pretty much makes a new game out of Sonic 2's levels. Oh, it's need to be played more to tell, but I don't know if any gameplay changes occured. The site I go it from mentions that it was the intention, but I didn't play far enough to notice anything.

That's all I got for now. You can google search Ultimate Mortal Kombat 3 Trilogy, and you'll come upon a site that has an incredible UMK3 hack, in patch format, as well as pre-patched rom. I seem to have a much older version of this. It also requires it's own hacked genesis emulator, not sure if including that, or just that fact alone, would have been against the rules or not.

You can find a ton more, though as pre-patched roms, Sonic hacks at a site called Sonic Retro. Those 3 just stuck out more to me, out of what I have seen(that's not already here), but I probably still haven't seen the best of what's out there

I can make it into a patch easily enough(I think..), thanks to I.S.T.'s  mention of Lunar IPS, but I can not find who the author of the patch is. One of you guys had a youtube video not too long ago, that included a link to the pre-patched rom, of a hack called Mario vs. Airman, which is a SMB hack that puts Mario in the MM2 Airman stage.

Lastly, knowledge of tools like Lunar IPS really needs to get out there. Good potential for getting more hack patches up on this site.

Dragonsbrethren

• View Profile
    • Dragonsbrethren Industries
« Reply #30 on: June 18, 2009, 11:26:29 am »
For Sonic hacks, at least the newer ones, xdelta would definitely be a better choice than IPS. Sonic hacks are usually created from disassemblies, and the resulting ROM will be layed out different compared to the original (meaning an IPS patch would basically be the entire ROM anyway). An xdelta patch will work a lot better, not perfectly if the clean ROM built from the disassembly isn't exactly the same as the original, but still a lot better than an IPS patch.

As for hosting sites, there is a small list here: http://www.romhacking.net/?&page=help&action=additionalhelp

Garoth Moulinoski

• Disliking that smoke.
    • View Profile
    • My Stuff including Super Smash Karts.
« Reply #31 on: June 18, 2009, 11:36:49 am »
I just want to state for the record: This last week or so has been the most productive week I have had in a couple years. Coincidence?  :P

Propaganda and lies!  :P :D

No, not really... Although I DID find new ways of procrastinating. Man, I really need to get to doing this homework. X_x
Who will quote me next?
Disclaimer: If it sounds wrong, I may have been posting while asleep.

Sixfortyfive

• View Profile
« Reply #32 on: June 18, 2009, 01:08:27 pm »
Tried to submit a news item and was met with this error:

REMOVED

Should I just wait and retry later?
« Last Edit: June 18, 2009, 01:37:38 pm by Nightcrawler »

Nightcrawler

• View Profile
« Reply #33 on: June 18, 2009, 01:39:41 pm »
I removed the error from your post. It's probably not a good idea to have the error output path information. I didn't think there were any public errors that did. Oops. Anyway, I think I know what was causing that. Try again.
Dual Orb 2, Wozz, Emerald Dragon, Tenshi No Uta, Glory of Heracles IV SFC/SNES Translations

Sixfortyfive

• View Profile
« Reply #34 on: June 18, 2009, 01:45:01 pm »
Works fine now. Thanks.

Nightcrawler

• View Profile
« Reply #35 on: June 18, 2009, 01:51:42 pm »
Things will be quite a bit delayed before we can get to new news and approving the backlog of queue submissions. I'm trying to recover the old news first. I started with that April 17th one on OpenSearch. Not a problem on the site, but adding something new and changing the date to older seems to upset the forum it a bit. I think I can get it to work though.

Tallgeese

• View Profile
« Reply #36 on: June 18, 2009, 05:47:43 pm »
Oh my,  first time I visit here on vacation and look what happens. Ouch.

Wait a minute... did this undo the Unicode comversion work you did?
« Last Edit: November 20, 2019, 08:02:20 pm by Tallgeese »

Neil

• Submission Reviewer
  • Circuit Rider
    • View Profile
« Reply #37 on: June 18, 2009, 06:01:27 pm »
Oh my,  first time I visit here on vacation and look what happens. Ouch.

Wait a minute... did this undo the Unicode comversion work you did?

This tempts me to DL my autogenerated database backups daily.

UTF-8 had to be redone, but has already been redone.

Nightcrawler

• View Profile
« Reply #38 on: June 19, 2009, 08:19:40 pm »
The queue is nearly cleared! Out of nearly 100 submissions, nothing was rejected other than a one sentence news submission.  So, if you didn't get the RHDNBot e-mails thanks to being flagged as spam (still no rDNS...) , if it's not still listed in the queue, it was all approved. :)

See the topics in Site Talk for continued help toward restoring the remaining missing items. Good job so far team!

snark

• 晴天の霹靂
    • View Profile
« Reply #39 on: June 19, 2009, 08:55:52 pm »
Wow that was fast!  :D  Thanks!
"Always listen to experts. They'll tell you what can't be done, and why. Then do it."